foxtrapper
foxtrapper UltimaDork
1/30/15 8:39 a.m.

And now the promised date is mid 2016.

Still not sure it's real. Neat if it is, but I have my doubts about it ever actually happening. Especially with gasoline prices down to ~$2.00 a gallon.

Driven5
Driven5 HalfDork
1/30/15 8:54 a.m.

Shocking!

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/30/15 9:00 a.m.

I am really hoping that they actually do this, but ....

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
1/30/15 9:23 a.m.

Huh, that is a shocker. I really didn't see that coming.

rcutclif
rcutclif GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/30/15 9:28 a.m.
Rusted_Busted_Spit wrote: I am really hoping that they actually do this, but ....

Just make your own! and post a build thread.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
1/30/15 9:51 a.m.
foxtrapper wrote: And now the promised date is mid 2016. Still not sure it's real. Neat if it is, but I have my doubts about it ever actually happening. Especially with gasoline prices down to ~$2.00 a gallon.

They'll keep moving the date back to continue fleecing people out of money they'll never repay.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/30/15 9:54 a.m.

In reply to rcutclif:

I am no where near that talented. I can turn a wrench and usually not break stuff but that is about it.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
1/30/15 10:06 a.m.

I'm starting to wonder if Elio is being backed/run by the same folks who ran the Aptera sham: Make a bunch of wild promises, get a bunch of wide-eyes and optimistic investors, produce a few prototypes and make them look legit, siphon off money all the while to line your own pockets... drag it out for as long as possible... bail on the whole thing citing "market difficulties" once the investors stop the cash flow.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
1/30/15 12:38 p.m.

In reply to Ian F:

I'll bet it is, same as Carbon Motors.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/30/15 12:43 p.m.

Now that you mention it there are way too many similarities between Elio and Aptera, right down to the cars they're working on...

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
1/30/15 12:48 p.m.
foxtrapper wrote: Still not sure it's real. Neat if it is, but I have my doubts about it ever actually happening. Especially with gasoline prices down to ~$2.00 a gallon.

Surely you jest. How is it possible that anybody believes this thing will actually happen?

GameboyRMH
1/30/15 1:01 p.m.
Zomby Woof wrote:
foxtrapper wrote: Still not sure it's real. Neat if it is, but I have my doubts about it ever actually happening. Especially with gasoline prices down to ~$2.00 a gallon.
Surely you jest. How is it possible that anybody believes this thing will actually happen?

Who knows, look at the current gas price dip, if you went back in time a year and told people about it, they'd laugh at you.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
1/30/15 1:46 p.m.

Only the ones who didn't understand that the price of oil was artificially high.

GameboyRMH
1/30/15 1:50 p.m.

Everyone knows it was artificially high, but what signs were there that the artificially high price would drop? I'd think you'd need knowledge of OPEC's inner workings, or at least the kind of knowledge of the middle-eastern oil market that would take a level of effort similar to a full-time job to acquire.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
1/30/15 2:17 p.m.

mahindra pickup?

foxtrapper
foxtrapper UltimaDork
1/30/15 2:48 p.m.
Zomby Woof wrote: Surely you jest. How is it possible that anybody believes this thing will actually happen?

Well, I like to pretend.

The0retical
The0retical HalfDork
1/30/15 3:02 p.m.
Rusted_Busted_Spit wrote: I am really hoping that they actually do this, but ....

Same here but the chances are slim. Either they were naive about how difficult it is to launch a new car company or it was an outright scam. Tesla is a good example as Elon Musk poured a lot of his personal fortune into getting it off the ground and it's still not very profitable or not profitable at all.

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs HalfDork
1/30/15 4:50 p.m.

Anyone ever seen the producers?

I keep hearing "springtime for hitler" in my head every time Elio is mentioned

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
1/30/15 4:54 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Now that you mention it there are way too many similarities between Elio and Aptera, right down to the cars they're working on...

...and the coincidence Elio started (or was in early stages) right about when Aptera folded?

"Things that make you go: Hmmm...."

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
O3BgGqHuF2q8k7n9viTgdSuEeWJj12VcztPBYhNajk2u9CEMsLA1XXZEZjdLka7H