1 2
SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Dork
1/30/15 1:07 a.m.

1971 Austin Mini B16 Vtec

Current owner doesn't seem to be the one who started the swap, all he knows about the engine is that it's a vtec B16.
Taking a look with my mechanic buddy/partner in crime/voice of reason tomorrow evening.
Anything other than standard things to look for on an older car? (AKA rust)

mr2peak
mr2peak GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/30/15 2:22 a.m.

Good luck. If he doesn't know much about it, lowball him, you're gonna need the extra money to fix the unknown.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
1/30/15 6:26 a.m.

That seems like a steal. The VTEC subframe alone is almost that much. Finishing will take some research, but should be doable. What you may be able to do is find a Clubman (square-nose) front clip as those fit over the VTEC engine with fewer modifications than extending the standard (and by most opinions - more attractive) nose clip.

I'd lowball him as well, but be sure to have the full asking price in cash with you. At that price it won't last long and I wouldn't be surprised if he's got guys lined up to look at it if you don't buy it.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltraDork
1/30/15 6:32 a.m.

Looks wrong from this angle; like its bent.

Out of curiosity, what is something like this worth when done? Cause you are going to have several hundred hours and 15k into it by the time you finish it.

84FSP
84FSP Reader
1/30/15 6:53 a.m.

Do it! These things are animals with this swap. Then you can save up for the turbo!!!

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
1/30/15 8:19 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME:

Completed and running examples typically have asking prices in the upper $20-30K range. I don't think I've ever seen one sell for under $20K if it's sorted and looks half-decent.

The body looks ok to me, although it looks like later doors (roll-up windows) on an earlier shell/body. I'm pretty sure a '71 would have tail lights with built-in reverse lights. Of course, "mutt" Minis are not uncommon at all.

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
1/30/15 8:59 a.m.

It seems that a high percentage of people who build or buy a VTEC Mini end up selling it shortly after, usually at a great loss. There are some folks who love them, but most seem to move on to something else. The extended noses are flat out ugly (IMHO) and ruin the look of the car. The only Honda swap I would consider is a D series which can fir under the standard bonnet. I've always wondered if the Fit engine would also go in there without the extension, but I've never seen one done before.

That car has Mk1 tailights, which are not the correct lights for a 1971 car. Roll up windows with the vent windows and external door hinges point to an Australian or South African Mini. Of course, the car could just be a bitsa car made up of various parts from various years.

I would only enable you to go buy this one if you have previously driven a VTEC Mini and think that is what you really want.

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
1/30/15 9:01 a.m.

In reply to Ian F:

Reverse lights didn't coma along until the Mk4 cars - they started about 1977 or so. 1971 should have the larger square taillights, but without a reverse lamp.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/30/15 9:30 a.m.

There are lots of buyers guides for Minis in general (short version: rusty rust rust). Check the Mini Mania website.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/30/15 9:37 a.m.

I would much rather spend the money on a stock Mini.

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver UltraDork
1/30/15 9:39 a.m.

I'm not sure if that's truly a '71, not only for the taillights mentioned, but the rear window looks wrong, too. I can't remember what year it got wider - '68? '69?

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
1/30/15 10:10 a.m.

Minis are odd little beasts. While I would like to have more power in my car (and especially taller gearing for more relaxed hwy cruising), I'm not sure I'd want VTEC levels of power. My car is scary enough to drive with 50hp (or whatever a high-revving 997 puts out).

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver UltraDork
1/30/15 11:51 a.m.

In reply to Ian F:

No E36 M3! My 1380 has enough to make me giggle. And it's not even dialed in right.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
1/30/15 12:12 p.m.

1380 is the better car. The Vtec ones are great but you can only get so much tire into the car without serious massaging.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
1/30/15 2:46 p.m.
Datsun1500 wrote:
wearymicrobe wrote: 1380 is the better car. The Vtec ones are great but you can only get so much tire into the car without serious massaging.
This is 100% true. When I put a Zetec into a Datsun Roadster, it was fast as hell and fun, but got boring quickly, so I sold it. I think a Vtec mini would have the same issue. I would love to own one for a week or so, but then the magic has worn off. My 1380cc mini is not as fast as a vtec one, but it's a lot more fun. Going 100 in a mini with a "stock" motor screaming is better then humming along at 100... It's the whole "slow car fast is more fun then a fast car slow" thing

I have some pretty serious vintage mini owners here at work and the VTec cars are astonishing in a straight line at the track but the 1380 and hopped up cars are just as fast around the track.

trigun7469
trigun7469 Dork
1/30/15 3:12 p.m.

looks like a trap, but a very interesting car. It wouldn't hurt to look at it, if the owner was interested in trades I would be game.

beans
beans Dork
1/30/15 3:55 p.m.

Do it, dump that gutless B and drop in a torquey F.

pirate
pirate Reader
1/30/15 4:25 p.m.

Some information here: http://www.superfastminis.com/index.htm & http://www.superfastminis.com/GARCIA.htm Make sure you watch the videos. Looked at on at the Mitty a few years ago and have wanted one since!

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Dork
1/30/15 4:45 p.m.

So, look for rust, make sure I really really (really) want a ridiculous tiny RHD Vtec'ed car.
Taking a look tonight, bringing a bonafide mechanic buddy with me.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/30/15 4:50 p.m.

Yes, check for rust very carefully, from my own experience[1] they can rust just about anywhere with the possible exception of the glass.

[1] One of the classic Minis I owned in the UK led my mechanic to utter the famous words "your battery needs a new car".

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
1/30/15 6:48 p.m.
wearymicrobe wrote:
Datsun1500 wrote:
wearymicrobe wrote: 1380 is the better car. The Vtec ones are great but you can only get so much tire into the car without serious massaging.
This is 100% true. When I put a Zetec into a Datsun Roadster, it was fast as hell and fun, but got boring quickly, so I sold it. I think a Vtec mini would have the same issue. I would love to own one for a week or so, but then the magic has worn off. My 1380cc mini is not as fast as a vtec one, but it's a lot more fun. Going 100 in a mini with a "stock" motor screaming is better then humming along at 100... It's the whole "slow car fast is more fun then a fast car slow" thing
I have some pretty serious vintage mini owners here at work and the VTec cars are astonishing in a straight line at the track but the 1380 and hopped up cars are just as fast around the track.

Funny- this is an interesting character study- when I put the 4age in my Midget, I fell out of love with it. Fast as hell, and more, but lost that special thing..... and/but I know if I get another midget (sold my car after 25 years of ownership this fall) I'll probably put another 4age in it. They need 150hp to be "alive". What the hell is wrong with me?

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Dork
1/30/15 9:30 p.m.

Just got back from taking a look.

Surprisingly, it makes noises!
My buddy's thoughts are that between the fatty walbro and the FPR on there, it's running way rich, otherwise it sounded like it wanted to fire up.

Rust wasnt too bad, a holed up area underneath the right rear, some small rough areas, some more places that had been obviously bedlined over, and the passenger side of the floor pan had been cut out and replaced with a poorly sized plate... bolted down.
But very little by way of full-on holes.

The engine mounting solution was... interesting.
Instead of supporting the front around the edges, there are two supports that go under the engine and exhaust... taking several inches off of the ground clearance.
(Sorry for lack of pics)

I'm wary yet interested, the guy is going to track down an alleged rear bumper and full set of exterior trim and get back to me.
Bonus fun fact: it's close/light enough to my house that with one not-small friend I reckon I could push it home in under 15 minutes... maybe as little as 10.
As for 'the competition' I'm told that I'm the only one who has thus far arranged to see it, though I'm also apperently the only one who hasn't tried to trade guns for it.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltraDork
1/31/15 8:50 a.m.
Teh E36 M3 wrote:
wearymicrobe wrote:
Datsun1500 wrote:
Funny- this is an interesting character study- when I put the 4age in my Midget, I fell out of love with it. Fast as hell, and more, but lost that special thing..... and/but I know if I get another midget (sold my car after 25 years of ownership this fall) I'll probably put another 4age in it. They need 150hp to be "alive". What the hell is wrong with me?

You are a "project" person perhaps? I know that is my case, I would rather be realizing a "Wonder if I can..." scenario than out driving and worrying about arrest and breakdowns.

I have an MGB GT that kept me busy for 36 years or so figuring "If only I do this "one more modification" it wont be such a piece of E36 M3 and live up to its looks". Well, I ran out of things to do and unless I do a drive-train swap figure the car is now stationary art.

84FSP
84FSP Reader
1/31/15 9:06 a.m.

So what would the plan be for the car? Daily? Racecar? Weekend Toy? If it were me I would end up buried $ in it as I tried to make a moderately rough example perfect. Could be rowdy as a mini rat rod!

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/31/15 9:58 a.m.

Rear bumper, no problem. They're available.

As for vtec vs A-series, the amount of sheer character in the original engine is huge. I love mine, it's a snorty little thing that brings a lot of extra life to the car. But I won't pretend that a Honda engine wouldn't be faster. And if something happens to my precious 1293, I'll have to do some real soul searching about rebuilding it versus dropping in a modern power plant given the costs involved. I'd love to keep the original, but the roi is not great.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6KT65H29cDvCr63FsgwBBTLIE9Ps6xm08bV8sgv4u2SJbZ80rAkXCVhw8keaYOab