1 2
JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
10/11/15 9:35 a.m.
JtspellS wrote: http://www.japaneseclassicsllc.com/

Wow, this place is quite the candy store! Looking at their full inventory and past inventory there is some neat stuff there. I can't really say that I understand the attraction to the JDM version of the Lexus LS400. I really don't think there is much difference other that the steering wheel placement. Similar mint condition US version could be had for a portion of the money.

RX8driver
RX8driver New Reader
10/11/15 9:38 a.m.

An acquaintance of mine DD's one, not sure of the make and model, but he seems to like it. Apparently him and his brother brought over a container of them, sold a couple and kept a couple for themselves.

Also, you can do this with the 4x4 ones at least:

HappyAndy
HappyAndy UberDork
10/11/15 10:59 a.m.

I occasionally have to work on kie trucks at work. Several of the large corporate campuses have them for shuttling tools and such around. All of the ones that I have to deal with are Chinese, and they are pretty awful IMO. The Japanese versions would have to be several orders of magnitude better for me to consider taking them out on real roads.

The biggest issues are incredibility cheap steel, and 4 wheel drum brakes that never work right, even when every single part is new. Most of them have crazy stiff suspension, but that may be intentional.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/11/15 12:36 p.m.

I learned to drive on them. I'm 6'1" and headroom was never close to a problem, handling is better than you'd expect but they're rather gutless, even the 1.3Ls which is nearly the biggest engine you'll find in them (the biggest have a mighty, cavernous 1.6L ). The 600cc ones sound really angry though

Lots of people DD them full time by me.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner HalfDork
10/11/15 2:36 p.m.

We have some electric quad cab ones at work. I'd like one for a DD. They're super bare bones though, I prefer my Corvette.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/11/15 6:58 p.m.

Just remember that with the cabover design, your legs ARE the crumple zone.

neon4891
neon4891 MegaDork
10/11/15 9:05 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: Just remember that with the cabover design, your legs ARE the crumple zone.

I was waiting to see when someone would bring this up. A page and a half. It this was a VW bus thread, it would be in the first 5-10 posts.

Either way if you get one just be careful. Otherwise do it, it looks fun.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltimaDork
10/11/15 9:17 p.m.

I imagine these do a bit better than first or second gen bus, the third gen actually does really well in that regard for something from 1979. I'll bet these trucks keep a full size spare under the floor just like the T3.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Dork
10/11/15 9:26 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: Just remember that with the cabover design, your legs ARE the crumple zone.

With how small these are I'm expecting zero in terms of crashworthiness.
And that's coming from someone who has previously DDed an NA Miata.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
o3ZH81qYBM0hvQwKvNul6uPIt7WloUjegmH0jUukMJxaE0F0xvRE4vo4HVL5Qb03