1 2
patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/7/09 11:45 a.m.

there are complete intake to pan 4.8 ls truck motors on ebay from lkq for $200 all day long. some sub $300 5.3's too.

i bought my 5.3 with all accessories, wiring, pcm, complete pullout from MAF to exhaust manifolds, all hoses uncut, battery cables, etc... for $1175 shipped with under 35k miles.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/7/09 1:13 p.m.

To fit a truck 5.3 in a Miata, you'll need a new accessory setup, an F-body oil pan/pickup and a new intake manifold. It all bolts up, but you'll have to take that into account for pricing.

RandyS
RandyS Reader
10/29/10 2:35 p.m.

sorry to bring up a year old thread but didn;t look like your original question was answered. The LS1 and SBC are about the same length but the SBC is about 3" narrower.

http://paceperformance.com/p-3990-engine-dimensions.html

skunkman
skunkman New Reader
10/29/10 8:01 p.m.

Why doesnt anyone do a Turbo 4.3 Syclone/Typhoon swap? People are so fond of the 3.8 but nobody seem to rock the 4.3. Turboed, it's lighter and produces more HP than a SBC or SBF.

tuna55
tuna55 Dork
10/29/10 8:09 p.m.
skunkman wrote: Why doesnt anyone do a Turbo 4.3 Syclone/Typhoon swap? People are so fond of the 3.8 but nobody seem to rock the 4.3. Turboed, it's lighter and produces more HP than a SBC or SBF.

Dunno. Sounds neat. Do it, and let us know!

psteav
psteav GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/29/10 9:45 p.m.

In reply to RandyS:

Not at all. I appreciate the info. Unfortunately, the Miata is now totaled.

On the plus side, I now have a perfect locost donor.

Nitroracer
Nitroracer Dork
10/30/10 9:42 a.m.
kreb wrote: Not to hijack, but I'm seeing pretty clean looking LS1 Camaros getting down to around $5k. If you pulled the LS1/T56 how much do you suppose you could get parting the rest?

I'm going to have to disagree there, I went looking for a six speed camaro back in march and couldn't find any cars worth buying under $7k. Plenty of automatics for $5k though.

And after driving a 1.6 miata, a 1.8 miata, and an LS1 camaro I can honestly say that would be a LOT of power for that little chassis. The SBF would put still a huge smile on your face if you went that route. Do which ever one you know more about or can better finance. Then enjoy.

AutoXR
AutoXR Reader
10/30/10 10:28 a.m.

useless information...

an LS1 is physically smaller then a 215 Olds V8

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
10/30/10 12:00 p.m.

Question - Is there a V6 version of the LSx? The 4.3 was a 6 cylinder SBC.

ScottRA21
ScottRA21 Reader
10/30/10 6:45 p.m.
skunkman wrote: Why doesnt anyone do a Turbo 4.3 Syclone/Typhoon swap? People are so fond of the 3.8 but nobody seem to rock the 4.3. Turboed, it's lighter and produces more HP than a SBC or SBF.

Because who in their right mind tears apart a Syclone or Typhoon?!

Otherwise; 4.3's are wider and heavier than the usual 3.8 or other 60 degree 6s, so the more compact engines are favoured for swapping.

But yes, someone should do it, maybe...you! You brought it up, now go show us how it is done!

bluej
bluej HalfDork
10/30/10 8:13 p.m.

Can someone elaborate on the specifics of placing a t5 behind a 5.3? I'm intrigued...

MikeD
MikeD New Reader
11/6/10 7:17 p.m.

LSX or bust, the ford motor is not worth it. they are boat anchors over the front end.

more importantly, a T56 is just as much an arguement as the motor is. the T5 is weak, and has a short 5th gear ratio, but the T56s epic 6th gear makes running 4.11 rear ends very streetable.

you can not make a ford SBF as perform as well as a GM lsx for the price of the gm motor..

plain and simple

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
F49PGvli65rjZ5DfXybsIVPPs7tCyChUryDK8pbz2Bsj0kAdzCc6D6sJe9hrNjuh