Bowenaero
Bowenaero New Reader
8/15/13 6:10 p.m.

Hey everyone, my name is Jonathan Bowen, and I'm a senior Mechanical Engineering student at Georgia Tech. I am very interested in working in motorsports, and I would like to get more involved with various types of racing to gain more experience and figure out where I'd like to work after graduation.

I have a good bit of experience with cars, including my own MR2 Turbo and Miata, which I take to autocrosses and track days. Perhaps most importantly, I am currently the Lead Engineer for Georgia Tech's Wreck Racing team, where we build cars for the Grassroots Motorsports $2k Challenge and Ultimate Track Car Challenge. You may be familiar with our most recent efforts: the S/C V8 Miata and turbo 2JZ-powered MG Midget. More pics and story (by me) here: http://www.speedhunters.com/2013/01/wreck-racing-low-budget-priceless-education/ http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/gt-wreck-racing-2013-utcc-miata-build/68710/page1/

Anyway, I'd like to volunteer to help some of you guys out at races, testing, whatever. So just let me know if you'd like an extra hand at an event by replying to this thread or emailing me at [redacted]. Thanks!

Also, if you have advice on other things to do/places to look to gain experience like this, I would appreciate it!

unevolved
unevolved Dork
8/16/13 8:29 a.m.

Have you posted on SCCAForums? Might get some more hits there, too.

Warren v
Warren v Reader
8/16/13 8:51 a.m.

Hit up Racing Analytics on Facebook. It's a good group of spec Miata guys that run a lot of cars and events. Quite a few engineers and loads of experience. They work out of Marietta and near Cumming. Events just about every weekend. Tell em Warren sent you.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
8/16/13 8:56 a.m.

Don't forget special stage.com. I got hooked up with a rally team as crew after I got my eng degree

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
8/16/13 9:23 a.m.

I'll be runninga 4hr race at NJMP on the 23rd with BMWCCA that will have huge attendance and probably a lot of teams short on helpers. We already have a full crew in place but... popping over to the club racing facebook page and volunteering might net you a few replies.

Bowenaero
Bowenaero New Reader
8/16/13 10:41 a.m.
unevolved wrote: Have you posted on SCCAForums? Might get some more hits there, too.

I have, actually. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

Warren v wrote: Hit up Racing Analytics on Facebook. It's a good group of spec Miata guys that run a lot of cars and events. Quite a few engineers and loads of experience. They work out of Marietta and near Cumming. Events just about every weekend. Tell em Warren sent you.

Great idea. I shall! Thanks, Warren.

Fueled by Caffeine wrote: Don't forget special stage.com. I got hooked up with a rally team as crew after I got my eng degree

I did not know about that website. I really love rally, so I will post over there for sure. Thanks!

Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: I'll be runninga 4hr race at NJMP on the 23rd with BMWCCA that will have huge attendance and probably a lot of teams short on helpers. We already have a full crew in place but... popping over to the club racing facebook page and volunteering might net you a few replies.

Unfortunately, I will be unavailable that day, but I wish I could go. Thanks! Let me know if you need help in the future.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zkaQZmsbgspjngZrcKpR3fFbSwv8u721USUHpYmzoltUkPdSNaVkForlEfli9S89