G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
1/27/17 10:11 p.m.

Apparently there's a fully programmable transmission controller on the market that's more or less a GPIO board. Apparently it can be used for just about any application, but a 4L60E build is the most prominent existing map for it. This idea of full manual control over any automatic is pretty fun.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
1/28/17 12:32 a.m.

From what I've read, it seems to me you could build a full manual 4L60E controller for peanuts with Arduino stuff and a page of code, it's making the thing run automatically in a civilized manner that's difficult.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/28/17 6:09 a.m.

This is my end goal for the Vette, behind an LS(probably 2).

NickD
NickD SuperDork
1/28/17 8:15 a.m.

There's been a number of these on the market. RetroTek Speed made one, now discontinued. TCI Automatics makes a universal set-up for any 4 or 5-speed automatic overdrive transmission. Same with Performance Automatic (Theirs works on any conventional domestic RWD auto trans) and Powertrain Control Solutions

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
1/28/17 9:39 a.m.

Former GRM staffer Steve Chrysos is or was owner here.

http://www.twistmachine.com/transmissions-torque-converters/manumatic-system-4l60e-rr600/

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
1/28/17 10:32 a.m.
petegossett wrote: This is my end goal for the Vette, behind an LS(probably 2).

Wait a minute... are you saying you're going to stuff two LS variants in your 'Vette?

NickD
NickD SuperDork
1/28/17 10:38 a.m.

In reply to NOT A TA:

Oh yeah, I forgot about Twist Machine, there's a blast from the early Pro Touring past.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/28/17 11:10 a.m.

Megasquirt makes a trans module as well. There is also the guy who shifts his 4l80e with household light switches and a rheostat for line pressure.

But really, I thought the overall issue was the stock trans can't get the line pressure up high enough for truly fast shifts with only programming. Supposedly you also need a shift kit, but then the auto mode isn't soft enough.

petegossett
1/28/17 12:49 p.m.
The_Jed wrote:
petegossett wrote: This is my end goal for the Vette, behind an LS(probably 2).
Wait a minute... are you saying you're going to stuff two LS variants in your 'Vette?

Knowing my luck I'll either screw up the first one, or be unhappy with my choices, requiring a 2nd one.

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
1/28/17 2:31 p.m.

Not sure I'm fully milking the novelty of paddle shifters in something I'd have a setup like this in unless I've got a 6L80. Is that a thing yet?

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
1/29/17 12:58 p.m.

If we're talking actual fast cars you're going to use those paddles twice on the way to 130mph. If we're not talking actual fast cars you're going to use the paddle once, get bored or run out of road before the 2nd one, and then realize you went through a lot of effort that could have been used elsewhere. Just my .02 but unless you are running a really short rear end ratio and doing some kind of racing that requires a lot of shifts in both directions, i dont see much benefit to paddles in a wide-ratio 4spd.

As already said, it's getting a transmission to shift like a mofo AND also operate normally when you want it to that is tricky to do with an aftermarket controller.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
1/29/17 1:18 p.m.

In reply to Vigo:

4.56 rear gears, anyone?

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/29/17 2:25 p.m.
Robbie wrote: Megasquirt makes a trans module as well.

That is what the OP linked to.

Personally, I haven't driven an electronic trans that shifted as fast as a hydraulic one. Shift is instant when you move the lever, with a manual valvebody.

I don't know if you can put a 700R4 valvebody in a 4L60 but you can replace most 4L60s with 700R4s...

Now, my favorite was the guy who set up HPTuners on his laptop, and would drag race with VCI Scanner running, and set up automation on the laptop to click the "shift up" button in VCI Scanner when the engine hit the right RPM. Talk about doing things the roundabout way

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
1/31/17 7:43 a.m.

We brought out a package last year with a MicroSquirt running transmission control code and a ready to go harness for those who want a turn-key package. Yes, it supports paddle shifting too.

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
1/31/17 8:03 a.m.

Trophy trucks in desert racing, for years, used TH400 automatics with full-manual valve bodies. Why not just do that like Knurled is suggesting? Except use a 4-speed.

Kramer
Kramer Dork
1/31/17 1:11 p.m.

petegossett
1/31/17 3:17 p.m.

In reply to Knurled:

What I really need is a way to retain the fully automatic functionality(for SWMBO & street driving), but still be able to manually hold a specific gear indefinitely, and shift up/down at my choosing(for autox). Paddle shifters would be a plus, not necessarily for making quicker shifts, but for being able to shift while steering in tight corners.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb Dork
2/1/17 7:48 a.m.

The only auto trans build i ever did was a th400 with a manual valve body and a ratchet shifter for my trail jeep. There was a half second delay between shifter movement and gear change. Since this was the only vehicle ive driven with a manual valve body i didnt know if that was normal operation. Since it seemed all good otherwise and was a trail rig i didnt sweat it. The other down side was a 2-1 downshift would try to put you through the windshield.

I learned recently that gm put paddle shifters in the grand prix gxp which used a 4t65e. I dont know if anyone has tried to use parts from those on a rwd trans. It would be cool if that were doable.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
2/1/17 8:42 a.m.
G_Body_Man wrote: In reply to Vigo: 4.56 rear gears, anyone?
Just my .02 but unless you are running a really short rear end ratio

I'm with you, that's the exception i gave that makes it make sense (to me).

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
2/1/17 8:43 a.m.
The other down side was a 2-1 downshift would try to put you through the windshield.

The combination of that and a misadjusted ratchet shifter once resulted in me rolling a customers lifted (and sbc400/th400 swapped) CJ7. There was NO delay of any kind on this one. I was even going straight when the accidental downshift happened. It just drug the rear tires, immediately went sideways, and flipped over. 39" tires. Perfect storm of bullE36 M3 that would never happen in any stock car ever.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4Ymz3lJQpXc5UbdDMOH2MZQPlmvsL4R6cmlUD4MgP5nlthO70E7RmLBG92yP7Wrn