1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 43
z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
4/23/15 8:07 a.m.
etifosi wrote:
z31maniac wrote:
aussiesmg wrote: So has Renault really found the engine problem, was it piston speed related?
Geez, it shouldn't be. These engines are allowed a 15k redline, but because of the fuel restrictions, they don't really rev past about 12k from my understanding.
To think they used to go 21k+!

I wonder how much higher they could have moved the redline without restrictions on rev limits.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
4/23/15 11:12 a.m.

probably not any … due to the fuel restrictions … those higher revs suck the fuel … they have a total for the race amt. and a restriction of how much per min/per sec … whatever

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/23/15 12:20 p.m.

The fuel regs are actually written to encourage higher revs - they don't get the full allowance below 10k iirc. Why? To make then sound different. Dumb.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
4/23/15 12:26 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: The fuel regs are actually written to encourage higher revs - they don't get the full allowance below 10k iirc. Why? To make then sound different. Dumb.

+1.

Easy way for the cars to make more power- let them rev less. Less friction = less losses = more extraction of energy from the 100l/hr of fuel= more power.

But its bad for the show.

Advan046
Advan046 SuperDork
4/28/15 9:16 a.m.

F1 where are you?!?!

Long wait until the next race. Lots of updates coming. I wonder what we will have on track by then.

Ferrari closing the gap on power?

MB pulling out the stops and going full bore the engine updates? Fixing their rather touchy brakes?

I really would like to see McLaren and Williams going up to the front especially Williams. However, the body language of the Williams team seems to look rather like they don't have anything to pull out the pocket. Just tapped out. Like when Patrick Head was there and seemed to be stumped about why JPM and R Schumacher were just impossibly down on grip a decade ago or so with the Walrus cars. Just don't know where to look for the problem. If they are there again it might be a fundamental issue with the team's structure that leads them to the same dead end.

I would be over the moon if somehow Sauber dropped a package of car changes on for Spain and ended up faster than the Ferraris? Ferrarii? what ever the plural is.

etifosi
etifosi HalfDork
4/28/15 4:37 p.m.

Pictures leaked of Ferrari's hot new single seaters:

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy SuperDork
4/28/15 6:18 p.m.
etifosi wrote: Pictures leaked of Ferrari's hot new single seaters:

while Enzo is turning about 8k rpm

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
4/29/15 8:01 a.m.
oldeskewltoy wrote: while Enzo is turning about 8k rpm

Nah, Enzo admitted he only ever whored out road cars to dumb rich people so he could race. He'd have been happy whoring out this crap if it funded his F1 cars

Advan046
Advan046 SuperDork
5/3/15 7:05 p.m.

Spain prediction. McLaren Honda 1-2 until both power untis go into pit limiter mode on the front straight on start of last lap. 4 cars taken out and Maldonado wins again!

etifosi
etifosi HalfDork
5/4/15 6:20 p.m.

Bottas to wear RED in 2017!

Iran to build F1 track?!?!

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy SuperDork
5/4/15 6:31 p.m.
etifosi wrote: Bottas to wear RED in 2017! Iran to build F1 track?!?!

Hamilton to Red?????? http://news.yahoo.com/rumors-hamilton-moving-ferrari-intrigue-f1-144846892.html

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
5/4/15 7:23 p.m.

is it the silly season already ?

Advan046
Advan046 SuperDork
5/5/15 8:48 a.m.

I think it would be hilarious for every F1 driver to show up wearing red one day during a Friday and claim to have a Ferrari contract for 2016!

Or better yet HASS logoed suits!

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
5/5/15 9:54 a.m.

Hammy to Ferrari because a)he hasn't signed his new contract yet and b) he bought a Ferrari La Ferrari!! Stretching it a bit. I can believe it long term, but not in the short term. No point in having a 4 time and a 3 time WDC in the same team, you already have a 4 time and a 1 time champ. I bet Kimi stays another year then is replaced by a young hot shot. It would have be Jules Bianchi but for his accident. I don't think Bottas or Hulkenburg are doing enough to secure the seat right now. I think Sainz Jr and Felipe Nasr are both doing an outstanding job right now. I think Mad MAx Verstappen will be moved up to RB in 17 and Toro Pinko will get two new Drivers under the Renault banner. I hope Sainz gets a chance then.

etifosi
etifosi HalfDork
5/6/15 12:09 p.m.

Advan046
Advan046 SuperDork
5/8/15 10:06 p.m.

Hamilton will stay at MB unless Taylor Swift, Adele, JayZ and Beyonce start a formula 1 team.

Hamilton probably couldn't find the freedom he has now at MB to practice being an entertainer at another team.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UberDork
5/9/15 7:20 a.m.

Hammy to retire after winning the title in 2015, disowns his father, gets adopted by Bernie, then chases his music career.

Advan046
Advan046 SuperDork
5/9/15 5:05 p.m.

Sad to see the Saubers fading back. Williams is trying to get on terms with Ferrari. Bottas is starting to put Massa to shame but the season is young. McLaren Honda have a solid foothold in the lower midpack now. Poor Lotus and Force India seem to be crumbling as a team. Just don't seem to have it together.

Torro rosso has gotten themselves some good cars which bodes well for their drivers.

MB need to watch out for another Spa incident tomorrow.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
5/9/15 8:40 p.m.

It's really great to see McLaren/Honda make steady progress. Getting both to Q2 and coming closer to Q3 is real progress for them.

I'm hoping that Manor can get their real 2015 car out soon- the field is doing a good job keeping their old car competitive (relatively). While it would be nice to see Sauber find some speed- getting Manor fast is more fun, to me.

Lots of the teams that showed some potential are struggling- which is really interesting. (as in odd interesting, not good interesting)

ncjay
ncjay Dork
5/11/15 3:41 p.m.

Didn't get to see any of the race, But I read where Rosberg was 17 seconds ahead of Hamilton at the checkered flag and 45 seconds ahead of Vettel. Criminy, I hope the rest of the season doesn't go like that, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla HalfDork
5/11/15 6:25 p.m.

Yes the race was decided within the 1st 100 meters.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
5/11/15 6:31 p.m.

Not really. Lewis had to use tire strategy to get past Seb, which did two things- It added a bit of suspense, and it made it bloody obvious that there is an awful lot more speed in those cars than they use. Come in early, put on the harder tires, and go saw 1.5 to 2.5 seconds per lap off the Ferrari, who was making his tires last. Lewis put a full pit stop and half a straight on Seb in less than 1/3 of the race.

Keith Tanner
5/11/15 6:46 p.m.

I agree, that drag race into the first turn sure decided which of the Mercedes was going to end up on top. With the difficulty of passing on that track, Lewis found himself pretty badly handicapped by the red car and by a tardy first pit stop. He was still hoping to reel in Nico at the end but it just couldn't happen.

I was loving the Bottas/Kimi duel at the end. BBC had an interview with Bottas afterwards asking if he felt pressure, and he replied "pressure has to come from yourself". He explained it very well and thoughtfully. You can see why he kept his head even though one of his idols was all over his gearbox.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
5/11/15 7:16 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner:

While it's a nice track to drive around (apparently), I'm not a big fan of it- this isn't the first time that a faster car just could not get by. It's like Monaco but as a wide open track.

Lewis really messed up the start, but did a good job recovering to finish second. Oh, well.

One thing I've noticed about the coverage- there's a LOT about Rosberg. Up to this weekend, it was how he was beat down psychologically, and how to recover, this weekend it was a great recovery by him. One wonders why so much focus on him.

Keith Tanner
5/11/15 9:07 p.m.

Probably depends on what coverage you're watching. The bbc doesn't get all that wound up about him more than the others.

The crap nbc coverage is probably just hyping the draaaaaama.

1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 43

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1m9IP9CU50uIMITXmfMdHlAjtiyppnLiJXBCBcvHxissghPJ5nl0dQDdxRB8D12d