1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 ... 43
alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
6/21/15 4:31 p.m.

Seemed like Lewis accepted his fate pretty early, and made sure that his powertrain would not be overly strained. Once he got the 5 second penalty, the game was just to keep 5 seconds ahead of 3rd, which wasn't too hard.

Interesting wreck for Kimi. One wonders if he will finish the season with this team or not. Due to his rather public opinion.

chuckles
chuckles HalfDork
6/21/15 4:34 p.m.

I was watching with the sound off. Was Kimi just run over?

rob_lewis
rob_lewis SuperDork
6/21/15 5:57 p.m.

The Kimi/Alonso wreck was scary. Has anyone found a video from Alonso's onboard?

I find all the comments about Kimi's job being on the line interesting since he's (well, up until this weekend) 4th in the driver points. Then again, it's got all of the press talking about it on a regular basis......

-Rob

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 Dork
6/21/15 6:13 p.m.

Alonso said Kimi was spinning his tires through several gears for a while before the incident and I think that's what caused their collision. Sounds like another problem with the car, not with Kimi, but who knows...

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
6/21/15 7:50 p.m.

Spinning tires, camber, corner exit, car stepped sideways and leaves Alonso no where to go.

Spitsix
Spitsix GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/21/15 8:09 p.m.

Alonso saw that Kimi's tires were spinning thru several gears. I know it is not used in racing a lot, but there is always the "lift" and get him in the next turn option.

oldsaw
oldsaw UltimaDork
6/21/15 10:32 p.m.

In reply to Spitsix:

Kimi spinning his tires was akin to a lift and we saw how that worked out. If Fred had come off the pedal he would likely have slowed even more. With a bunch of cars already behind him, he stood an even greater chance of getting run over.

Ferrari might be unhappy with Kimi's performance but they would be stupid to fire him mid-season. Who are they going to find that has at least as much ability and chance to score points in a shallow talent pool? The team has already admitted an unprogrammed power/torque spike caused his spin in Canada so it's very possible similar problems occurred today. That qualy muck-up couldn't have helped either.

It was good to see Massa get some bubbly but I have to admit I'd like to have seen Vettel fight with the Mercs; that botched stop kept that from happening.

Advan046
Advan046 SuperDork
6/22/15 1:17 a.m.
rob_lewis wrote: The Kimi/Alonso wreck was scary. Has anyone found a video from Alonso's onboard? I find all the comments about Kimi's job being on the line interesting since he's (well, up until this weekend) 4th in the driver points. Then again, it's got all of the press talking about it on a regular basis...... -Rob

Quite right, I will turn down the volume on my replace Kimi thoughts. He has been screwed up by the team in qualifying and the race this year a few times. He has a little more than half his teammate's points.

But I do think if his demeanor is detrimental to the team he may have to go regardless of points standing. And I will disagree with you that the talent pool is slim. I think it is deep.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
6/22/15 5:54 a.m.
oldsaw wrote: In reply to Spitsix: Kimi spinning his tires was akin to a lift and we saw how that worked out. If Fred had come off the pedal he would likely have slowed even more. With a bunch of cars already behind him, he stood an even greater chance of getting run over. Ferrari might be unhappy with Kimi's performance but they would be stupid to fire him mid-season. Who are they going to find that has at least as much ability and chance to score points in a shallow talent pool? The team has already admitted an unprogrammed power/torque spike caused his spin in Canada so it's very possible similar problems occurred today. That qualy muck-up couldn't have helped either. It was good to see Massa get some bubbly but I have to admit I'd like to have seen Vettel fight with the Mercs; that botched stop kept that from happening.

I'm thinking that Spitsix meant for Alonzo to lift, and make the pass later

and whether or not the talent pool is thin or deep … they're not going to be able to sign (for this season) anyone that's already in a F1 car, so the talent they could reach out for would VERY inexperienced … GP2 drivers … maybe their own test driver (don't remember who that is) … but this late in the season, unless Kimi is causing problems with the team … I don't see the upside of dumping him

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/22/15 6:27 a.m.

What about jalyon palmer? Or what ever the guys name is that won gp2 last year?

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
6/22/15 6:44 a.m.

The thing about Kimi is that he's spending a lot of time blaming the team for stuff. Which is somehting that isn't done at Ferrari.

Nothing against his driving, it's more about his team attitude.

Maybe they are giving him some leeway, being Ferrari's most recent champion.

johndej
johndej Reader
6/22/15 7:58 a.m.

Yeah, Kimi will last the year is what I'm hoping, unless could they steal Magnussen?

Adrian_Thompson
6/22/15 8:07 a.m.
wvumtnbkr wrote: What about jalyon palmer? Or what ever the guys name is that won gp2 last year?

Jolyon Palmer, son of Jonathan Palmer. First I don't see Ferrari E36 M3 canning Kimi mid-season. Second, much as I'd love to see another Brit in F1, I don't think someone that took four years to win the GP2 Championship as being top team fodder. It took him until his second year in GP2 to even win a race. To make an impression with an F1 team you either need a Maldonardo load of money, or be winning GP2 races and preferably the championship in your 1st year (Rosburg, Hamilton and Hulkenburg) winning the championship in your 2nd year (Glock), at the worst case. Those have taken four years to win are Maldonardo and Grosjean, and while both have improved massively, I don't think anyone considers them Ferrari fodder.

I bet they will keep him though the end of the year then it will be a shootout between Bottas and Hulkenburg for the open seat.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy SuperDork
6/22/15 9:51 a.m.

Kimi to HAAS?????

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
6/22/15 12:49 p.m.
oldeskewltoy wrote: Kimi to HAAS?????

He's already said multiple times if he isn't at Ferrari he won't be in F1.

Type Q
Type Q Dork
6/22/15 2:24 p.m.

I thought Kimi had already made noises about this being his last year in F1. I have not been following very closely.

ncjay
ncjay Dork
6/22/15 2:37 p.m.

I thought this was going to be Kimi's last season, and that Valtteri Bottas was going to Ferrari. Heard it from the same source that said Vettel was going to Ferrari 3 years ago. We'll see how things work out. As far as drivers for Haas, they could use a guy like Jenson Button. Still quick enough and smart enough to help a new team get up and running.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
6/22/15 4:29 p.m.

Bottas is the rumor I heard a while back

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/22/15 5:10 p.m.

Bottas was rumored for a while, yes. OTOH, with a Le Mans win under his belt, I suspect Hulkenberg will be looking appealing.

Advan046
Advan046 SuperDork
6/23/15 11:45 p.m.

If Rosberg wins the championship will there be a big celebration anywhere near like it was for Hamilton or Vettel?

Seems like a very unliked guy.

I think we won't find out unless Kayne West can convince Hamilton to quit and join a Kanye/JayZ summer concert tour.

MB needs to find some more race pace. Ferrari seems to be getting closer to them each event. Williams hopefully can get up to MB too, but that is less likely. I really hope Force India's 2015 chassis puts them up with Ferrari. I would like to see Perez and Hulk fighting for podiums.

Adrian_Thompson
6/24/15 8:32 a.m.

It's funny isn't it. For years Hulkenburg was seen as the next big thing, but being mired in mod field teams and being passed over for Kimi at Ferrari people were starting to write him off. Count me in both of those camps.

Now he wins LeMans ans is seen as hot E36 M3 again. That's fine, but there were two other pepole driving the same car. Earl Bamber and Nick Tandy. Nick Tandy in particular did a quad stint in the night and stayed in the car for 3 hours straight. Tandy never raced karts and funded his own way. You have to wonder 'what might have been' though. He started low buck oval racing in MiniStox at the age of 12.

Advan046
Advan046 SuperDork
6/28/15 8:46 a.m.

Honda tested well last week. But it has never paid off during the race weekends.

Excited about Silverstn next weekend. I have family about an hour away from the track and keep dreaming of heading for a "visit" around the GP weekend.

Will Hamilton fall into his classic funk and start making mistakes? I think Rosberg will be able to maintain his confidence after the last four races. He knows now that he has some ability to race LH on track and also speed to take pole. So the mental game is all in LHs court.

If any other team besides Ferrari starts to get close to MB pace this will start to become a mega season.

Advan046
Advan046 SuperDork
7/1/15 10:23 a.m.

I really miss the original Speed channel.

BTCC, GTCC, JTCC, Super V8s and nice consistent F1 coverage. Live as in we won't show a commercial for 40 minutes if the race is good and will cut off a commercial if something happens.

Now each race on NBC I need to figure out what channels to jump between. They go to commercial no matter what.

Heck I would never leave my couch during commercials on Speed, never knew when they would snap back to some great racing battle after the first 10 seconds of the bridgstone tire commercial, pass by Mika on Schumi! Or engine of the leading car let go, then back to commercials to finish them off later.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/1/15 10:25 a.m.

Don't forget Lost Drive-In, too

The NBC coverage really is terrible. They probably can't understand why the race doesn't stop for commercial breaks.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla HalfDork
7/6/15 4:39 p.m.

Really...no discussion after Silverstone??.

1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 ... 43

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
a1N1j0o8n4pDkYL9Cnt6WCD4uaiFPXlE7Hr2PBwhsOqoGLKEKtFZlIZLO2XAgMC1