snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh New Reader
8/8/12 11:12 a.m.

Here's some video of my latest track day. It's not in-car, and it's a crappy little camera, so the cinematography isn't the best, but you get the point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4OxG_3-YX0

Gasoline
Gasoline HalfDork
8/8/12 11:49 a.m.

In reply to snailmont5oh:

Cool!

Hal
Hal Dork
8/8/12 1:10 p.m.

And here are some still photos.

@snailmont: You need some GRM stickers on the car, that way I would have introduced myself.

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh New Reader
8/8/12 11:37 p.m.

See the fat guy in the funny hat with his shirt collar turned up (to prevent neck sunburn, not because it's cool) unsuccessfully trying to keep his power steering pump from E36 M3ting the bed? That's me!

Man, I had some fun, but it was one thing after another right up until, well, now. That E36 M3 went home on a trailer belonging to a guy I just met that day (thanks, Matt) because the overboosted power steering finally took itself out. I'm still fixing it. Here's hoping that the 2000 Cobra R rack does the trick.

Other than all that, what a blast!

@Hal: You only talk to people that have GRM stickers on their cars? You coulda said hi anyway, and I wouldn't have told anyone.

Later, Mike.

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh New Reader
8/8/12 11:42 p.m.

Also, Hal, could you send me those pics full size, or links to where they're hosted?

snailmont5oh AT atlanticbb DOT net

Thanks, Mike.

jrw1621
jrw1621 PowerDork
8/8/12 11:59 p.m.

Wow, that car makes you look cool. It's that or maybe the collar that makes you look cool.

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh New Reader
8/9/12 12:08 a.m.
jrw1621 wrote: Wow, that car makes you look cool. It's that or maybe the collar that makes you look cool.

What about the hat. You forgot about the hat. Also, that car makes anyone or any thing look cool. It's like standing next to someone way uglier than yourself. Suddenly, you don't look so bad.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero Dork
8/9/12 11:53 a.m.

AWESOME!!! A Fairmont is on my short list.

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh New Reader
8/14/12 10:23 a.m.

It certainly did surprise people, especially people in Porsche Caymans. And an AI Mustang. I think that dude was surprised too.

Gearhead_42
Gearhead_42 Dork
8/14/12 10:59 a.m.

I am perpetually entertained by people's reactions the first time they see you on course in that thing Mike ;-) How did the roll center corrections work out?

-Dan

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/14/12 9:49 p.m.

That is great!!

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh New Reader
8/15/12 3:11 a.m.

Well, Dan, I didn't spin out, crash, and die, so it must have been a little bit better. It was loose enough, though, that I was able to pitch it pretty easily when my brakes had faded and T18 was looming. Scrubbed off a bunch of speed with the tires, and was able to make the corner. I sure am glad that I wasn't my instructor.

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh New Reader
8/16/12 12:53 a.m.

I forgot one thing you might get a kick out of, Dan. At one point, my instructor said, "I can see that you like a loose car." He kind of just mentioned it in passing, so I didn't give it much thought at the time. Maybe it's still a little loose.

jdbuilder
jdbuilder New Reader
8/16/12 9:02 a.m.

Love these fairmonts... they are getting hard to find

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh New Reader
8/19/12 7:41 p.m.

They are. It seems like they are getting more popular, too.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
puw4U8sB1dkeB8iaDPeRpZrN2PQIa1x8tGIQzMJ6z5r28i9bnzGCTvhJ79EVXQTy