CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/14/22 1:17 p.m.

I've tried to keep a 3x C cell LED MagLite in each of our cars just in case. We recently went on a trip and my flashlight wound up being left at the cabin we rented. I actually need 2-3. I was about to buy another MagLite but I thought the hive might have a better suggestion. Something with a worklight mode would be better.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/14/22 1:37 p.m.

What do you want to be able to do with it?  Is it just a light?  One of the reasons many people liked maglights back in the day was that in a real emergency they made a decent improvised impact weapon...

Modern LED flashlights with lithium batteries are much smaller and lighter than the old maglights but you lose the secondary functionality.

CAinCA
12/14/22 1:54 p.m.

I just need the light functionality. At one point I had a 6xD MagLite but I think my days of thonking someone with a flashlight are over. 

I'd prefer something with 8+ hours of battery life. NOT rechargeable. Relatively cheap so when my family leaves it at the cabin I'm not heartbroken. LOL!

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
12/14/22 3:35 p.m.

I have a few of these and they're very handy lights.... clip for your cap, magnets to stick on metal, swivel head.  White/red LED.  AAA batteries, probably won't run for 8 hrs.  Great small area light, not really a flashlight (narrow beam) if that's what you need.

Coast LED clip on light

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
12/14/22 3:39 p.m.

I have one and I gave out a few of these a few years ago.  Very bright, rather small and about $12.  Swap out the stock batteries.  Stats say 3.5 hours.  If that's with the stock batteries, you should do a lot better with better batteries.  Even more if you go with the expensive "long lasting" versions.

588 Lumen Tactical Flashlight

https://www.harborfreight.com/lighting/flashlights/588-lumen-tactical-led-flashlight-black-63934.html

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/14/22 3:40 p.m.

Nebo Big Larry. 

Magnetic base for sticking to a fender while changing a tire or to the hood while working on something. 

Flashing red light for emergencies. 

Decent flashlight for general purposes. 

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
12/14/22 3:45 p.m.

I'll have to snap a picture of it. I got a two pack from costco of these flashlights that have a narrow pencil beam light at one end, magnet at the other end, flood light built into the body, seat belt cutter, and window smasher all in one. They are pretty bright and get the job done. I figure it could double as a weapon with the window smasher if I really needed it 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
12/14/22 3:51 p.m.
CAinCA
12/14/22 7:45 p.m.

I think this is the droid I'm looking for:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DV3WZ4W?psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp

Dual LEDs (beam/flood), 2xAA, 120 lumens, 24h battery life, 2m drop resistance, dustproof/waterproof, magnet in the base, pocket/hat clip, intrinsically safe, fairly cheap.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) UberDork
12/14/22 8:11 p.m.

I'd post a photo but some would get upset.  It has a nice streamlight though.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
R10JwnZCP5TWFRwE9NYVvPmY0fxVHStj5oymfmSfcFjy9LY1we3oJuthZ59ktqux