Gubby
Gubby Reader
6/16/11 9:39 p.m.

O.K; I had to take my Mom's Chevy (Vlad the Impala) up to a nearby dealer to have a new radiator installed, and while I strolled the lot, I happened upon a 1996 Caprice Classic.(L99 4.3 131,000 mi) It looks to be in great shape-no rust-and they want $6000 for it. It is just what I have been looking for-RWD and V8 powered. The sticking point: no warranty. Even though the car would be mine and mine alone, I have to run the gauntlet of all those at my house who are confused as to why I would not want to buy a Malibu, and tint the windows and swap on some "pimped" rims (not kidding, this was said) Does this sound like a good deal? or should I keep looking? Thanks--Gabe.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
6/16/11 9:44 p.m.

Having never shopped Caprices, sounds expensive to me.

fastEddie
fastEddie SuperDork
6/16/11 9:46 p.m.

Especially considering you aren't getting the LT1 but the anemic L99. blah...

Hoop
Hoop SuperDork
6/16/11 10:11 p.m.

That's pretty overpriced, especially considering it does not have the LT1.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
6/16/11 10:17 p.m.
triumph5
triumph5 Dork
6/17/11 12:05 a.m.

Way too much money. Dealer thinks he has a "future collectable". But, you're young only once, it's your money/loan ( I assume), so do what you want. Tell THEM to go pimp the wheels on their cars first, and you'll follow as soon as they're done.

If you really want it, offer 4k. And it better be completely rust free, with an immaculate interior.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese Dork
6/17/11 12:13 a.m.

Sounds like Impala SS price territory to me. Keep shopping. I wouldn't give $3000 for that car unless it were absolutely perfect. I've seen them in the $3000 price range with $2500 worth of wheels on them. Buy car, sell wheels and put some nice Cragars or similar on there and have a $1500 car.

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
6/17/11 8:20 a.m.

As others have said, overpriced. For that money you should be in one of the nicest LT1 cars you can find if not an SS. Check out impalassforum.com for classifieds and information which should give you a good idea on the pricing.

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
6/17/11 8:53 a.m.
MrJoshua wrote: "Pimped" rims

Is it odd that I don't completely hate this one?

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
6/17/11 8:55 a.m.
mndsm wrote:
MrJoshua wrote: "Pimped" rims
Is it odd that I don't completely hate this one?

Nope. Its less donk and more whatever that big wheel performance look is that people go for with the older big cars.

edit-"Pro touring" is what I was trying to say.

cwh
cwh SuperDork
6/17/11 9:00 a.m.

2500.00 for a P 71, put some money into a grand marquis interior, decent wheels and tires, cruise. Bonus points for push bar and spotlight.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/17/11 9:54 a.m.

Overpriced. Any Caprice will run for 500,000 miles though.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/18/11 6:52 p.m.
cwh wrote: 2500.00 for a P 71, put some money into a grand marquis interior, decent wheels and tires, cruise. Bonus points for push bar and spotlight.

i tried that, still had a pos ford, and went back to b bodies. i was thoroughly unimpressed with my low mile p71.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar SuperDork
6/19/11 12:35 p.m.

Mmmmkay, well if you & I ever meet I'll let you try mine then.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FXK0cuwk0w62rZfGJSKQvgYRZAgIhC8032xI38RvGOhzxJzxUiSVeKA9h2J2BslG