1 2 3
Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
1/21/15 2:45 p.m.

Or a spare 330 GT?

jv8
jv8 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/21/15 2:53 p.m.
gearheadmb wrote: If I could afford a ferrari, I figure I could probably afford a wagon or suv to go along with it. You can keep your utility. If I were to buy a ferrari I want an impractical, unapologetic supercar.

But then every time you need to take your wife and daughter to dinner you have to drive an SUV. Listen to the Lingenfelter podcast - to him the FF is the SUV/family car used when his other supercars won't hold the passengers.

Adrian_Thompson
1/21/15 2:56 p.m.
jv8 wrote:
gearheadmb wrote: If I could afford a ferrari, I figure I could probably afford a wagon or suv to go along with it. You can keep your utility. If I were to buy a ferrari I want an impractical, unapologetic supercar.
But then every time you need to take your wife and daughter to dinner you have to drive an SUV. Listen to the Lingenfelter podcast - to him the FF _is_ the SUV/family car used when his other supercars won't hold the passengers.

Rear of Lingenfelters own FF

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UberDork
1/21/15 2:57 p.m.

The real trick is having a fantastic car that you're willing to just drive. I drive the V wagon on track, but I won't take it to an elementary school Christmas concert and park near the yahoos in a packed parking lot. Someday I want to be the DGAF old guy who just drives his E36 M3.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
1/21/15 3:09 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce:

It's still a new car to you. Once you have a few years of miles and a few scratches, it'll worry you less.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
1/21/15 3:21 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: The real trick is having a fantastic car that you're willing to just drive. I drive the V wagon on track, but I won't take it to an elementary school Christmas concert and park near the yahoos in a packed parking lot. Someday I want to be the DGAF old guy who just drives his E36 M3.

This is one reason my beater Miata > my very good condition S2000.

Also one reason plastic cars rock.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/22/15 9:12 a.m.

I see a black FF every so often on my way to work and while it is not be best looking Ferrari I will say that seeing it being driven during morning rush hour in a snow storm made my day.

Autolex
Autolex Dork
1/22/15 10:06 a.m.

I wouldn't kick it out of bed.

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
1/22/15 10:25 a.m.
Ian F wrote: In reply to mazdeuce: It's still a new car to you. Once you have a few years of miles and a few scratches, it'll worry you less.

Not me. I have too many issues with interesting cars getting damaged/vandalized in typical parking lots. Door dings, spit on, drinks thrown on, gum stuck on, stuff like that. I'm very particular where I park my collectible cars when I can't keep an eye on them.

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
1/22/15 10:28 a.m.

Remember when Ferrari's were pretty?

Adrian_Thompson
1/22/15 10:37 a.m.
pres589 wrote: Remember when Ferrari's were pretty?

But that was coach built, not stock. The FF is from the factory and err 'affordable' When you bought a 456 (last pretty car they made until recently) you then had to spend (I'd guess) at least another $100K in early 90's money at Pininfarina to get your wagon. Yup Mr money bags prince of Brunei could order them by the dozen, but I've never seen one in the flesh.

But yes, 456's were pretty, so here's some pics for the hell of it. E36 M3, now I've got to go to ebay to feed my automotive fantasies again.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/22/15 11:54 a.m.

So you can hang it on your wall.

FF print in a box

kanaric
kanaric Dork
1/22/15 11:59 a.m.

ya this car is probably among the worst ferraris ever

Adrian_Thompson wrote:

That picture sums up this car. You like cars like this if and when your wife beats you into submission

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UberDork
1/22/15 12:11 p.m.

In reply to kanaric:

Sometimes, you can love your family AND cars. Really.

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
1/22/15 12:50 p.m.

Eh, these aren't exactly high-volume cars to begin with, and it was more than just a single example built. It's funny how, if you took an FF and made a coupe version of that car, it'd still be not so pretty to look at. It's sort of like Ferrari never really recovered, stylistically, once they moved away from pop-up headlights. I wouldn't kick one out of the garage (until I found the right buyer anyway) but something like a 275 SWB or a Dino 246 are such nice things to look at. And then the cars today are either kind of goofy like the FF or brutally styled like the Enzo. Eh.

I'll go back to my cave now.

edizzle89
edizzle89 Reader
1/22/15 12:57 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote:
pres589 wrote: Remember when Ferrari's were pretty?
But that was coach built, not stock. The FF is from the factory and err 'affordable' When you bought a 456 (last pretty car they made until recently) you then had to spend (I'd guess) at least another $100K in early 90's money at Pininfarina to get your wagon. Yup Mr money bags prince of Brunei could order them by the dozen, but I've never seen one in the flesh. But yes, 456's were pretty, so here's some pics for the hell of it. E36 M3, now I've got to go to ebay to feed my automotive fantasies again.

to be honest... i would rather have the FF over this

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Reader
1/22/15 1:04 p.m.

JV8 said it best, it's the supercar you take when you have to carry more than one person and a small briefcase. I drive my Corvette pretty much everyday and everywhere I can. But if we have a 3rd person to haul we have to take a much less fun vehicle. The Porsche Panamera and the Ferrari FF are much less compromised. They don't try to replace the 911 Turbo or the 360 Modena, they raise the standard of the fleet.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/22/15 2:02 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: In reply to kanaric: Sometimes, you can love your family AND cars. Really.

Very true, I just picked up a '14 Cadillac ATS 2.0T last week. My wife's two requirements were AWD and automatic. The first requirement means she feels comfortable with me driving it year round (60 mile commute), the second means that she can drive it when she wants to. The other option was replacing her 10 year old minivan, and instead she chose to get the car for me.

Although it's not as fun as the RWD/manual version, it's still a reasonably fun car that allows me to cart around the three older boys on the weekends. I truly enjoy driving around with the kids on the weekend, so I'm willing to compromise a bit on the car. So far, I'm planning to hold onto the Mustang, which gives me my RWD/manual transmission fix when I need it.

B. Choate
B. Choate GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/22/15 5:04 p.m.

bottom line is that we could all hate it, but what's the entire production run likely to be? five thousand? That means that if only .001425 percent of the world population has the means and desire to buy them, they are a success. Us? Our opinions are like plankton in the sea.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MeflGRXzwE3CPDB1XuN37wxu3ScssnpQ0vxYqmQ7c6e9GnJ2ftBLgQLsf5ZlLFPy