vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/25/11 7:29 p.m.

So the wife gave the go ahead to spend MY money on something more economical to drive than the 1.8T jetta wagon which only gets 25 mpg no matter what I do.

Fieros get better. But would they be able to get through the snow. I know mid engine and weight over the drive wheels is good, but the car is pretty low.

What do you think? Only have $1000-1500 to consider.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
9/25/11 7:58 p.m.

I didn't think Fiero's got all that great of mileage either.

integraguy
integraguy SuperDork
9/25/11 8:39 p.m.

"...mid engine and weight over the drive wheels"

Wow, I've got to see the Fiero that combines those 2 attributes. I thought a mid engined car had it's weight concentrated BETWEEN the wheels (the drive wheels and the steering wheels), making a Fiero a BAD choice for a winter car...or am I missing something?

And according to the reference book I have, the Fiero was rated at 19 or 21 city (6 cylinder vs 4 cylinder) and 25 or 26 hiway....not an improvement over your Jetta. If I remember correctly, both of the engines in the Fiero used "old tech" throttle body" fuel injection which is just SLIGHTLY better than a regular carburator for metering fuel.

jhaas
jhaas Reader
9/25/11 8:56 p.m.

You will be hard pressed to get better mileage than your 1.8T. and the Fiero SUXS in the snow.

This mazda 323 GTX would have been an awesome choice. or an Impulse AWD RS

N Sperlo
N Sperlo Dork
9/25/11 9:03 p.m.

In reply to integraguy:

An engine over the rear wheels with RWD is great for going forward, but not left or right because the weight needs to also be on the turn wheels. A FWD car would be better because the weight is on the drive wheels and turning wheels. Its better to pull the vehicle through the snow when it doesn't have four drive wheels.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
9/25/11 9:06 p.m.

In my opinion a set of good tires is the main thing - a Fiero should work fine in the snow, as long as it's not so deep that you get hung up on it.

donalson
donalson SuperDork
9/25/11 9:09 p.m.

never driven a fiero... but my mkI mr2 did ok in the snow... would have been much better with better tires up front (had nearly bald summer tires up front, some nice all seasons out back)... as long as the snow wasn't very deep it would get up and go... with the limited weight over the front end slowing and turning wasn't great... but i've driven worse... with snow tires it would have prob been a hoot...

N Sperlo
N Sperlo Dork
9/25/11 9:17 p.m.

Snow may be an issue, but do you live in a flood plane?

Klayfish
Klayfish HalfDork
9/26/11 6:51 a.m.

Back in the '90's, my best friend had an '84 Fiero as a DD. It was a ton of fun in the snow...as long as there was nobody else on the roads, and no curbs nearby. First, it would plow straight ahead like a dump truck. Then when it finally started to turn, it was shocking how quickly the back end swapped places with the front.

Fun? Yes. "Good" to drive in snow? Hell no.

stan
stan GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/26/11 6:51 a.m.

A friend of mine drove a Fiero with an Iron Duke as a winter car for awhile. He got 30+ mpg and did ok in the snow. For those days when it was more than 4 or 5 inches he'd drive his pickup. This was mostly freeway driving and turning probably wasn't as big an issue.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/26/11 7:00 a.m.

Ive done it. You need 'real' snow tires all the way around, 185/75/14. Add some weight to the front, about 60lbs. Gas mileage with a stick shouldn't be too bad. low 20-s city, close to 30 hwy. Hope you're looking at a beater 4 cylinder, not a clean '88. Avoid 1984's too many electrical problems.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uwSmiEpFY9Zy9K5w96VP6sv5V5ZnSbXWf7r02dFzl8pGkgT0TiK1t0GJz6GxyUWR