1 2
MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltraDork
5/15/13 8:08 a.m.

So, I found a Fiero on Cragislist, and now he's cut the price to $800. It's moderately tempting to pick it up, fix it, and use it as a commuter / beater until the Iron Duke dies, then swap in something more entertaining. Not sure it's tempting enough for me to go and get it, but at least tempting enough to daydream about right now.

On the other hand, it's a four speed, four cylinder car, and it might be worth holding out for an '88 with a 5 speed if I'm thinking Fiero; any thoughts there? Are V6 swaps into 4 cylinder cars straightforward (if I didn't go the Quad 4 or Ecotec route), or is it better to start with a factory V6 car? On a related note, I don't see too many people putting the 3.5 or 3.9 "high value" 60 degree V6 in these things, but I'd think the motor would be a direct swap for the 2.8 V6. Is this the case, or did they change around motor mounts or bellhousing bolt patterns?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/15/13 8:15 a.m.

I'd take a chance on that one, even at $1200.

racerfink
racerfink SuperDork
5/15/13 8:18 a.m.

There used to be one around my neck of the woods that had a GNX motor in it. If it's a GM motor, chances are, someone, somewhere has swapped one in.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/15/13 8:29 a.m.

The Iron Duke may never die, be prepared for that. IIRC there are V8 swap kits available.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro HalfDork
5/15/13 8:29 a.m.

It doesn't look like a bad car for the money. A Quad 4 HO engine would be fun in that car, Ecotoc would be a good option as well.

On a side note, the 2.5L transmission will bolt up to a SBC, which means it should bolt up to a LS engine as well. Just a thought.

stan
stan GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/15/13 8:30 a.m.

I have a friend who's seriously into Fieros and most of his are 3.4s.

Pennock's is your friend on these...

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/15/13 8:47 a.m.

check for Rust under the trunk carpet. If the Plastic Cam gear was changed with the rebuild the engine will wheeze out 92HP for at least 150K more miles. The 84's are a bit more complicated to do engine swaps in as the Engine Wireing harness runs right through the middle of the engine bay. This can complicate things for swaps but otherwise they are decent cars. See if it has the 4.10 or 3.23 ratio trans. The "Economy" trans is a good one for V8 swaps as it has longer gears.

Klayfish
Klayfish Dork
5/15/13 9:25 a.m.

I have no idea why, but I've grown increasingly fond of the Fiero over the past years. When I was in high school (back when the Fiero was still in production...at the tail end), a buddy had an '84 2M4. We had a lot of fun with that car. But I was always heavily on the MR2 side of that debate. Several years ago, I had very brief ownership of a track prepared Fiero and started taking interest in them.

I know that adds little to the thread, but I'd say go for it.

ArthurDent
ArthurDent HalfDork
5/15/13 9:31 a.m.

If I could beat him down on price more I'd be tempted.

MadScientistMatt
5/15/13 11:25 a.m.
81cpcamaro wrote: On a side note, the 2.5L transmission will bolt up to a SBC, which means it should bolt up to a LS engine as well. Just a thought.

I didn't see THAT coming. Thought the 2.5 shared bolt patterns with the GM FWD four bangers and V6s instead.

Thanks to all who responded! Now I've got to think this over a bit more and see if I can really persuade SWMBO that having more cars around is a good way to reduce maintenance headaches since it means I have more odds of having something running, instead of having to keep track of more cars...

Nashco
Nashco UberDork
5/15/13 1:04 p.m.

The 4 and 6 cylinder have the same bolt patterns:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_GM_bellhousing_patterns

If you want to play with swappery, I highly recommend getting an 85+ V6 car to start with. The '88 is your best starter platform, but if you start with a pre-88 you're not completely hosed. Tons of guys have done the 3500 non-VVT swap, the VVT makes it a lot more difficult. If you knew a guy who was good with a Megasquirt, I think a fully functioning 3900 VVT would be a really neat project.

For swap details, Pennock's is ok, but for the 3500 specifically you'll find a lot of info here:

www.realfierotech.com www.60degreeV6.com

In short, most of the guys doing 3500 non-VVT setups are treating them very similarly to the 3400 and using the same older ECMs as all the 3400 guys ('7730?). Mechanically, it's extremely simple.

If you like the idea of a Quad 4, you'll be best off getting a whole donor car, as the transmission has a unique bolt pattern. Of course, anything can be piece-mealed, but whole Quad 4 cars go so cheap that it's more cost efficient to get a whole car. I've got a W41 Quad 4 in my shop, but I have no idea what I'll do with it. They're neat as a time period piece for sure, but an Ecotec or high value V6 offer much better reliability and bang/buck, as you'd expect a more modern powertrain to do.

Bryce

ClemSparks
ClemSparks PowerDork
5/15/13 1:35 p.m.
MadScientistMatt wrote:
81cpcamaro wrote: On a side note, the 2.5L transmission will bolt up to a SBC, which means it should bolt up to a LS engine as well. Just a thought.
Now I've got to...persuade SWMBO that having more cars around is a good way to reduce maintenance headaches since it means I have more odds of having something running...

When my 323 broke down a couple weeks ago...It was VERY comforting to have another car running and ready to get me to work the next day. My theory is that when you drive sub-$1,000 cars, you need to have several.

Clem

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/15/13 1:44 p.m.

the '84 is the least desirable, but $800 for a clean runner is a good deal. Check the trunk corners for rust.

MadScientistMatt
5/15/13 1:45 p.m.
Nashco wrote: The 4 and 6 cylinder have the same bolt patterns: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_GM_bellhousing_patterns

Interesting link; it had quite a few unexpected surprises.

If you knew a guy who was good with a Megasquirt...

For swap details, Pennock's is ok, but for the 3500 specifically you'll find a lot of info here: www.realfierotech.com www.60degreeV6.com

Thanks!

If you like the idea of a Quad 4, you'll be best off getting a whole donor car, as the transmission has a unique bolt pattern. Of course, anything can be piece-mealed, but whole Quad 4 cars go so cheap that it's more cost efficient to get a whole car. I've got a W41 Quad 4 in my shop, but I have no idea what I'll do with it. They're neat as a time period piece for sure, but an Ecotec or high value V6 offer much better reliability and bang/buck, as you'd expect a more modern powertrain to do.

Interesting! I was expecting the Quad Four to just use the corporate bolt pattern and bolt right in. Seems like neither the Quad Four nor the Ecotec is a direct swap like I'd expected.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro HalfDork
5/15/13 2:05 p.m.

Thanks for the info Nascho, didn't realize GM changed the 2.5L bolt pattern. Good list to have for future projects.

Having owned both a W41 and an Ecotec (03 model Sunfire), while the Ecotec was a smoother engine, the W41 was much faster and revved more willingly. Either would work, probably easier to find a good Ecotec than a Quad 4. If you want to swap either one, just get it with the 5-speed transmission and make it fit in the Fiero, It's the Grassroots way.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UberDork
5/15/13 3:15 p.m.

That looks purty nice for what he's askin'.

Aeromoto
Aeromoto HalfDork
5/15/13 3:36 p.m.

Run. Run away. A Fiero is just another front wheel drive GM E36 M3box turned around backwards.

racerfink
racerfink SuperDork
5/15/13 3:48 p.m.

Aeromoto just wants to buy it after you pass on it.

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/15/13 3:50 p.m.
racerfink wrote: There used to be one around my neck of the woods that had a GNX motor in it. If it's a GM motor, chances are, someone, somewhere has swapped one in.

Do you mean generic turbo 3.8 like in a t type or real deal GNX? That would be worth more than the car times 40.

Aeromoto
Aeromoto HalfDork
5/15/13 3:58 p.m.
racerfink wrote: Aeromoto just wants to buy it after you pass on it.

Oh no, no NO! I had a girlfriend or two with those back in the day, and therefore had the pleasure of working on them. No thanks! I'd hold out for a similar priced MR2.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant SuperDork
5/15/13 4:27 p.m.
racerfink wrote: Aeromoto just wants to buy it after you do the LS swap, tune the MS, and sort the suspension.

FTFY

HappyAndy
HappyAndy SuperDork
5/15/13 4:59 p.m.

I think you should get it, keep the Iron Duke, and strap a magic snail to it. Then feed it boost until it pops

mr2peak
mr2peak GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/15/13 8:57 p.m.

I'd hold out for a similar priced MR2.

$1.2k won't get you one anywhere close to clean any more.

wspohn
wspohn Reader
5/15/13 10:18 p.m.
Aeromoto wrote: Run. Run away. A Fiero is just another front wheel drive GM E36 M3box turned around backwards.

Not quite.

Pre-1988= bad.

1988=good

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Dork
5/15/13 10:23 p.m.
wspohn wrote:
Aeromoto wrote: Run. Run away. A Fiero is just another front wheel drive GM E36 M3box turned around backwards.
Not quite. Pre-1988= bad. 1988=good

Pretty much this. I would wait and pay quite a bit more for a 88.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YmCkWREIWfA9KttLoDNCswpm0WjhGraC8bF4naUdm2ydHUcN3rK7nhOslTxd9mtd