zeeguy
zeeguy New Reader
3/22/15 1:15 a.m.

Bought a cheap 91 Miata to "play" with and looking for some help. When I got it the motor didn't make a sound when you turned the key and the previous owner said he thought it has a blown head gasket. After I put a bar against the starter and smacked the bar with a hammer I had a running Miata. Changed the starter and it starts every time. Now my problem, it sounds like the engine has a sputter and it is down on power. Has good compression about 180 all the way across,good spark plugs and wires. Adjusted the timing, nothing changed, moving AFM flap by hand doesn't change anything. Timing belt is on the marks, the only thing I haven't checked is the coil packs but the spark appears weak. What is the best way to check the coils on this car. I am not looking to buy a lot of parts and just change them till something helps. If this car wasn't a good Florida car with no rust to speak of I would part it out but it is too good for that. It is a manual trans. never wrecked, the harness and all connectors are in good shape with the original clips on them. Just looking for ideas....sorta leaning towards the coil packs but want other opinions. Thanks for the help sorry for the long post

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
3/22/15 3:26 a.m.

See if it will jump a big gap or not, 1/2" or so. You can also ohm them out(see service manual for specs), though they can ohm out OK and have internal arcing problems. Is it breaking up when you get on the throttle? Gets worse as it warms up? Spark on the plug looks yellow? Those are also signs.

zeeguy
zeeguy New Reader
3/22/15 3:35 a.m.

Does all those things Thanks I will look for the specs

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
3/22/15 4:58 a.m.

That's good. Experienced mechanics test the car to find out what the problem is. I would also check the fuel pressure to make sure that the fuel pump, pressure regulator, and fuel filter are working within it's parameters.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/22/15 5:11 a.m.

You noted it was a manual. Is there such a thing as a Miata with an automatic? I don't think I have ever seen / heard of one.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/22/15 7:13 a.m.
dean1484 wrote: You noted it was a manual. Is there such a thing as a Miata with an automatic? I don't think I have ever seen / heard of one.

Those are the cheap, rust free ones with the hardtops.

drummerfromdefleopard
drummerfromdefleopard GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/22/15 7:20 a.m.

Is the short nose crank still on it?

zeeguy
zeeguy New Reader
3/22/15 9:55 a.m.

In reply to drummerfromdefleopard:

has the 8 hole pulley on the crank and by serial number not the short nose crank

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
3/22/15 10:08 a.m.

congrats! They are blast.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/23/15 9:55 a.m.

Welcome to the posse. They're endearing little things.

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
3/23/15 9:57 a.m.

Could definitely be coil packs. I used to consider them a wear item when I worked on Miatas regularly.

Toebra
Toebra New Reader
3/23/15 12:52 p.m.

You need to go to the miata.net site and poke around, all your questions will be answered. Go to clubroadster if you want more snark

lnlogauge
lnlogauge Reader
3/23/15 1:32 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: You noted it was a manual. Is there such a thing as a Miata with an automatic? I don't think I have ever seen / heard of one.

they exist, albeit rather rare. My 16 year old sister drives a 93 auto back and forth to school. (See purchase story here)

Drives like a miata for the most part. Transmission makes a weird buzzing noise depending on throttle. transmission shop claims all of the miata autos do that.

evildky
evildky SuperDork
3/23/15 3:20 p.m.

I had a non miata with a slight miss at idle, compression tested great turned out to be a cracked valve seat. Not bad enough to be an issue but drove me nuts until i fixed it.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 HalfDork
3/23/15 3:48 p.m.
Woody wrote:
Those are the cheap, rust free ones with the hardtops.

I was trawling ebay last week and saw not one but two good looking cheap Miatas with hardtops only to be disappointed/surprised when I clicked and found they were automatics.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2V1CooO4JTeV3KSbQFTdqZBQ000zXFdaRfiHqxWCSJBiYWVnVhYBbH1uCB2mofZ1