1 2
Bearded.Bird
Bearded.Bird Reader
1/26/16 7:15 p.m.

Well that sucks. Oh well, I just do what I need to do to make sure I get everything right. And I wouldn't think replacing a shifter would be a pain. I guess I learned something today.

mr2peak
mr2peak GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/27/16 2:12 a.m.
bluej wrote:
Bearded.Bird wrote: Is the e36 rack the same as the z3? And I completely forgot about the z3 shifter. Thanks!
e36 is a good upgrade, e46 is better (quicker). a z3 one isn't worth the effort or $ over an e46 rack. I went looking for an e46, but grabbed an e36 since I saw a good condition one in the yard and the only e46 one was busted.

Z3 1.9L rack is the quickest. ~2.7 turns lock-to-lock. It's a big change from the E46. A little twitchy for a DD.

LuxInterior wrote: Spec E30 suspension, then this: Randy Pobst E30 vs F30

Yes, but they kind of gloss over the super-sticky tires.

curtis73 wrote:
stuart in mn wrote: I'd think you either rallycross the car or lower it. Trying to do both would be a lot of work. First thing is to buy an e30 Bentley repair manual, they're very good.
Yep. I would do one or the other. Lowering the e30 requires offset bushings if you want to correct camber. Swapping heights would mean some pretty intense alignment mojo to get it right each time.

Offset bushings affect castor, not camber in the front. You need weld-in tabs on the rear subframe to correct camber and, more importantly, excess rear toe-in or you will chew through tires.

What you should do 1) Read this: http://www.e30zone.net/e30zonewiki/index.php/Main_Page If you read all of that, you will know more about E30's that 95% of all E30 owners.

2) Decide if it's a street car or a race car

3) Clutch stop. About $2 worth of parts from the hardware store. Very satisfying.

4) Go do a brake rebuild. Lines, fluid flush (a real flush of the hardline) new brake caliper guide pins and seals. It's an easy system. OEM lines are DOT legal, most braided lines are not. Brembo blanks (if you need rotors) and good pads.

5) Deferred maintenance. There's probably a lot of it unless you bought a very nice example.

6) More of 5

And go here: R3vlimited.com e30tech.com e30zone.net realoem.com

bluej
bluej SuperDork
1/27/16 5:13 a.m.
mr2peak wrote:
bluej wrote:
Bearded.Bird wrote: Is the e36 rack the same as the z3? And I completely forgot about the z3 shifter. Thanks!
e36 is a good upgrade, e46 is better (quicker). a z3 one isn't worth the effort or $ over an e46 rack. I went looking for an e46, but grabbed an e36 since I saw a good condition one in the yard and the only e46 one was busted.
Z3 1.9L rack is the quickest. ~2.7 turns lock-to-lock. It's a big change from the E46. A little twitchy for a DD.

LtL =/ ratio. My understanding is that e46 racks are about the same, or some quicker ratio, than the z3 racks. If he's rallyx'ing, more travel (LtL) is a good thing.

Bearded.Bird
Bearded.Bird Reader
1/27/16 7:12 a.m.

Thank you for all that info mr2peak! I'll read through that tonight!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7MEB61lrv0SP0UwXctOeG24AcSgCBcKYYAfFwe0eMY3lC6wDXXgn8TkSlL33AmUM