1 2
Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Event Marketing
9/16/13 5:47 p.m.

Long story short, Otto von Bismarck seems to finally be reliable, so it's time for a new stereo. The car still has its original radio, something like this: While it sounds pretty darn good, the seek feature is broken, it doesn't save presets, the cassette deck is broken, there isn't enough of an equalizer, and I have to use an FM transmitter in order to connect my phone to it.

So, it's time for an upgrade. Let's say a roughly $200 budget. I'd prefer to spend less, but am willing to spend more if there is a compelling reason to do so.

Needs, in order of importance:
Auxiliary input, either on the front or the back (no preference).
Strong, clean internal amplifier. I don't want to run an additional 4-channel amplifier in this car.
Subwoofer pre-amp output

Wants, in order of importance:
Bluetooth phone and audio connection
Simple looks

Used is totally okay, but if there is a place (crutchfield?) that makes this really, really easy, then I'm all ears. Wiring doesn't scare me, but spending a ton of time under the dash on my barge of a daily-driver isn't very much fun.

Tom Suddard
9/16/13 5:48 p.m.

Oh, and I've had good luck with used, higher-end Alpine headunits in the past. Thoughts? I'm not sure I can find something with bluetooth in my price range.

beans
beans HalfDork
9/16/13 5:56 p.m.

Avocado?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/16/13 5:57 p.m.

Crutchfield!

I've got a couple of cars that simply have an amplifier. I jack in whatever I'm going to use and we're done. On the Miata, I put a 1/8" input jack in a hidden place. Super-easy and invisible.

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non Reader
9/16/13 5:58 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Crutchfield!

+2. Easy to deal with and cheap enough too.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
9/16/13 5:58 p.m.

Tom, I recently put one of these in the RX5.0, sounds are fantastic, slightly used it cost me $91 on eBay

Jensen VM9115

All the other components I priced at Crutchfield then saved at least 33% on eBay brand new.

jdbuilder
jdbuilder Reader
9/16/13 6:11 p.m.

Amazon especially if you already have prime Get the harness if yours exist or wasn't chopped up already, this makes install a breeze.

Below you have an alpine for $90 with no CD player (obsolete) but everything else. It doesn't have the strongest internal amp but pairs nicely with stock speakers. When you update your speakers your probably going for the cheap pioneers which would pair well with this as well.

http://www.amazon.com/UTE-42BT-Alpine-In-Dash-Receiver-Bluetooth/dp/B00BWZEILY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379372627&sr=8-1&keywords=Alpine

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 Dork
9/16/13 6:23 p.m.

I just ordered a really nice pioneer from crutchfield last night for 119.99 all in, adaptors, wiring, instructions, shipping, everything. saw TONS of stereos that fit your needs for under 150.

call them, tell them what you want, and let them choose it for you. youll be glad you didn't vapor lock your brain like I did looking at the 300 some odd choices that did what I wanted.

oh, and my new 119.99 radio does Bluetooth.

Tom Suddard
9/16/13 6:50 p.m.

I talked a lot to the crutchfield chat guy, super helpful and I'm definitely ordering a wiring kit from them.

However, I have a $200 Amazon gift card. I'm torn between this:

http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/cde-hd148bt

and this:

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entertainment/In-Dash_CD_Receivers/1-DIN_CD_Receiver/KDC-BT955HD

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
9/16/13 7:01 p.m.

Anecdotal information: The Alpine that I had in my Nissan was much higher quality than the Kenwood I had in my truck. The Alpine would be at least 9 years old now, and the car has been gone for 6 years, and the Kenwood at least 8 and been gone for 6 years as well.

jdbuilder
jdbuilder Reader
9/16/13 7:03 p.m.

I really don't see where the alpine you posted is worth $200 more than the one i posted other than being Sirius ready...

Tom Suddard
9/16/13 7:12 p.m.

Amazon actually has it for $180.

HD Radio, more EQ bands, color changing display, higher resolution display, better looking, 6-channel pre-amp output, CD player, etc.

That said, I think the Kenwood has the win, mainly because it seems to work very well with android.

Tom Suddard
9/16/13 7:22 p.m.
aussiesmg wrote: Tom, I recently put one of these in the RX5.0, sounds are fantastic, slightly used it cost me $91 on eBay Jensen VM9115 All the other components I priced at Crutchfield then saved at least 33% on eBay brand new.

Hmm, interesting, but not really my style. I have a windshield mount for my iPad for when I need a screen that big.

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon Dork
9/16/13 7:29 p.m.

I've got a 2004 $100 Pioneer cd player in my other car. It works flawlessly, has no auxillary, no usb, no hd radio. All that stuff was either new tech or more higher end at the time.

My dd has a 2006ish Alpine that also has no bells and whistles, but the buttons are sticky, the screen gets wonky, and it doesn't always read CDs, and never spits them out.

Head units have come a long way, I prefer Pioneer, because I like blue.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce SuperDork
9/16/13 7:33 p.m.

I'm entertained that the cassette deck being broken is a problem. What are you going to do with all of your cassettes now?
I've used betamax tapes in my car exactly as many times as audio cassettes in the last 15 years.
Anyway, even the crappiest $55 radio is pretty darn good as long as you have decent speakers. The speakers are the real key.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 Dork
9/16/13 7:33 p.m.

I've been pretty happy with the last two kenwoods I've had. I think the one I've got in my BMW is the KDC-695x or something. Around $125 on Crutchfield. I like to buy from people who offer advice and the wiring harness. And a pretty good return policy.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce SuperDork
9/16/13 7:39 p.m.

I will say the crutchfield wiring harnesses are nine kinds of awesome.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/16/13 8:12 p.m.
Tom Suddard wrote: Simple looks

good luck with that one. I have yet to find an aftermarket HU that both looked good and looked simple. Most of the new ones are just plain gaudy

Tom Suddard
9/16/13 8:27 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: I'm entertained that the cassette deck being broken is a problem. What are you going to do with all of your cassettes now? I've used betamax tapes in my car exactly as many times as audio cassettes in the last 15 years. Anyway, even the crappiest $55 radio is pretty darn good as long as you have decent speakers. The speakers are the real key.

A cassette adapter is actually a pretty good way to connect an iPod. That, and things being broken bother me. A lot.

Good speakers are a given, and it looks like I'll probably end up running a real 4-channel amplifier, too.

jdbuilder
jdbuilder Reader
9/16/13 8:38 p.m.

Never really thought kenwood made great head units, just ok ones, especially when compared to alpine. After alpine would be pioneer then lump Sony, jvc and kenwood together.

GVX19
GVX19 Reader
9/16/13 8:39 p.m.

I just ordered this one. I think you will like it. I know your kids will. It has an App so you can use your phone as a remote.

Kenwood DPX500BT Double DIN In-Dash Car Stereo Receiver
Sold by DiscountsJungle
Condition: New

Facebook Twitter Pinterest
$146.99

Item Subtotal: $146.99
Shipping & Handling: $13.93
Total Before Tax: $160.92
Shipment Total: $160.92
Paid by Visa: $150.92
Paid by Gift Certificate: $10.00

BAMF
BAMF HalfDork
9/16/13 9:57 p.m.

I put an Alpine CDE-143bt into my wife's car a few months ago. It was $130 at Crutchfield, including everything needed to install it. I'm very pleased with it for the price.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/16/13 10:03 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: I'm entertained that the cassette deck being broken is a problem. What are you going to do with all of your cassettes now? I've used betamax tapes in my car exactly as many times as audio cassettes in the last 15 years. Anyway, even the crappiest $55 radio is pretty darn good as long as you have decent speakers. The speakers are the real key.

As someone who recently removed the crappiest radio from his VW and replaced it with a hidden amp, I can't really agree. I swore my speakers were junk. Turns out they were pretty darn okay...

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
9/16/13 10:08 p.m.

I've had so many friends with Alpine units and they all have been very reliable. I however am partial to Clarion. My last two headunits have been Clarions and they were suitable replacements for OEM radios.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/16/13 10:09 p.m.

That Becker is fairly high-end head unit for it's time, andyes, they do sound good (I've owned a few over the years)

A Nakamichi CD-400 sounds similarly good and a used one might be within your budget. Just make sure that the CD part actually works as those are notoriously fragile.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hn7mFYpjUwM0bVecYnca2Wed16a73Vn6aj21Cb2AnESPsV2SFa0uRDDfnQ8XYYFy