1 2 3
P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/28/24 6:30 a.m.

Can we discuss how the Fisker Ocean electric SUV is now $25k? MAN that's tempting, except the minivan life is the one for us. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/28/24 6:56 a.m.
Spearfishin
Spearfishin Reader
3/28/24 7:04 a.m.

Their website still seems to reflect "full retail" pricing. Where would one obtain the "let's see if we can stave off bankruptcy" pricing?

Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/28/24 7:27 a.m.

In reply to Spearfishin :

I would say, "They've been staving off bankruptcy for more than a decade and surviving on serial tax cut ripoffs, so berk them."

Spearfishin
Spearfishin Reader
3/28/24 7:28 a.m.

I've bought fire sale items from people I don't mind watching burn. 

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
3/28/24 8:29 a.m.

Based on reviews, it seems $25k overpriced still.

OK, that's not really true, but it still seems risky to buy a new car from a failing company just because it's cheap.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
3/28/24 8:36 a.m.

I really want to believe that Fisker is a real thing with real aspirations which will eventually pull through the silly and make some cool cars.

I am not sure if I am being overly optimistic. I know they have bugs to work out, and obviously so did/does Tesla, and undoubedtly they are following that model. The products seem pretty compelling on paper, but so far they haven't really delivered on them yet. I'm watching, still.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
3/28/24 8:44 a.m.

Interesting, but it comes with a real risk that there will be nobody to support the warranty, no parts availability, and nobody who knows how to work on it. Which would be acceptable if I wanted a coach built Dusenburg, but not so useful for a daily driver.

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
3/28/24 10:31 a.m.
tuna55 said:

I really want to believe that Fisker is a real thing with real aspirations which will eventually pull through the silly and make some cool cars.

I am not sure if I am being overly optimistic. I know they have bugs to work out, and obviously so did/does Tesla, and undoubedtly they are following that model. The products seem pretty compelling on paper, but so far they haven't really delivered on them yet. I'm watching, still.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I'm hoping for the best, but expecting the worst.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/28/24 10:47 a.m.

The Bolt starts at $26,500 AND is eligible for the $5k federal tax credit - the Ocean is not. That makes the Bolt a lower cost if you qualify for the credit, and now you can take the credit right off the cost of the car. With the CO credits on top, I could buy a Bolt for $14k if I could find one built to base spec.

I can't see why you'd take the risk on the Fisker.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
3/28/24 10:49 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

The Bolt starts at $26,500 AND is eligible for the $5k federal tax credit - the Ocean is not. That makes the Bolt a lower cost if you qualify for the credit, and now you can take the credit right off the cost of the car. With the CO credits on top, I could buy a Bolt for $14k if I could find one built to base spec.

I can't see why you'd take the risk on the Fisker.

Indeed, I, too, have made this exact decision.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
3/28/24 10:59 a.m.

I saw one of these on the road Saturday, which is the only one I've ever seen IRL. It was actually quite handsome.

But, yeah, you're basically buying a plate of nachos from a food truck that's already gotten notice from the health department they have to close down. Maybe they're delicious, but when the explosive diarrhea hits a couple days later and you go back to complain and the truck has long vanished, how satisfying will those nachos be then?

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
3/28/24 11:16 a.m.
JG Pasterjak said:

I saw one of these on the road Saturday, which is the only one I've ever seen IRL. It was actually quite handsome.

But, yeah, you're basically buying a plate of nachos from a food truck that's already gotten notice from the health department they have to close down. Maybe they're delicious, but when the explosive diarrhea hits a couple days later and you go back to complain and the truck has long vanished, how satisfying will those nachos be then?

That depends, were the nachos from the Hyundai “N”achos machine?

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/28/24 11:19 a.m.

I know there are a few here that don't care for Jalopnik, but they released a story a few hours ago about Fisker losing millions in customer payments and not even being able to produce sales documentation for the accountants doing the audit. 

I would run very far away from anything to do with them. 

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 HalfDork
3/28/24 11:35 a.m.
JG Pasterjak said:

Life experience tells me you can be laying on the bathroom floor sobbing and still thinking "worth it" 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
3/28/24 11:47 a.m.
Byrneon27 said:
JG Pasterjak said:

Life experience tells me you can be laying on the bathroom floor sobbing and still thinking "worth it" 

I'm soooo glad im not alone in this.

Except for gas station sushi. That was NOT worth it. 

rustomatic
rustomatic HalfDork
3/28/24 11:56 a.m.

The stock is about to be delisted.  This (car) is not a good idea, unless someone from GM comes along and starts LS-swapping them.

Oh, wait, that's what they did with the Karma . . .

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
3/28/24 12:18 p.m.

Stock is delisted. 

Relevant article:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/fisker-s-financial-struggles-prompt-drastic-price-cuts-on-2023-oceans/ar-BB1kEFTp

At this point, they're thinking that anything is better than nothing.  This vehicle sold for near $70k in top trim level just over six months ago.

Fire sale.  I'd say Fisker is already toast.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/28/24 3:31 p.m.

I was digging some more on this just to because I was curious, the Ocean Sport isn't now $25k. It received another $24k discount to have an MSRP of $37,499.

Still hefty discounts, but that's still nearly $13k more than the title of the thread. 

brandonsmash
brandonsmash GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/28/24 4:04 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

The Ocean Sport was meant to be 25k  but there aren't any available. The Extreme is the one available at 38k after the 24k discount, I believe. 

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
3/29/24 9:48 a.m.
tuna55 said:

I really wanted Fisker to succeed because, as you stated, on paper it seemed like the correct way to build an electric SUV. It seems like the company really didn't read the room, or focus on the correct things, the entire time they were building the vehicle. The entire internet commentariat seemed to do some version of "herp derp Remember Karma?" (how very original) and new Fisker should have immediately realized that if they released a half baked version of the software defined vehicle they were building, they were going to fail.

I don't care about things like not being able to tell how much power the solar panels produced, but I care very much about the car randomly losing power on the highway. I don't care about blank buttons, but I do care about a suspension that's jarring and makes you sick. I don't care about a taco tray, I care about the adaptive cruise control I paid for working. Hell I don't care about solid state batteries at this juncture, I care that the car I bought will be supported into the future. I also care that the accounting system is functional, but that's just a pet peeve of mine.

I said it before but if Karma fails it'll be in spite of Magna Steyr, not because of it. That appears to be the case here with both the software and Fisker sinking money into things that simply don't matter in an early mass market car. Also vaporware. Everyone hates vaporware.

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
3/29/24 12:03 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

If I could truly get a new Bolt for $14k, my wife and I would seriously need to sit down and crunch some numbers; see if our credit union can give us a decent interest rate. 
I know if I walked into a dealer, they'd be trying to get me into triple that... or more. 

I you really think you could walk us through how to get there, please pm me. I KNOW I'm not savy enough on my own blush

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/29/24 12:20 p.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

That's based on the MSRP of the Bolt ($26.5k), the federal tax credits ($5k) and the CO tax credits ($7.5k for EVs under $35k MSRP). 

So, step 1 is move to Colorado :) Otherwise you're looking at $21.5k.

Step 2 is to find a base model Bolt. I don't think you can order one anymore, production may have ceased but new ones are still moving through the system. I did find one within 250 miles of me that has a $29k MSRP, so it would still come up under $17k.

That's not including taxes and fees and delivery charges and Scotchgard, etc. 

BoulderG
BoulderG Reader
3/29/24 1:08 p.m.

Keith,

Respectfully, I think the Federal credit is $7,500 Federal, now available at sale so a cost reduction

$5,000 Colorado, which is a "guaranteed tax credit" so you'll get next April. For most new EVs under $80k, and I think that extra $2,500 if MSRP under $35k?

$4k tax credit for used EV under $25k? If bought from a dealer.

Or??

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
3/29/24 1:24 p.m.
JG Pasterjak said:

Explosive diarrhea rarely hits days later.   You'll know pretty quickly just how bad of an idea this was. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2MM7f7shwtU8TL1QyKFdNVrGm7VTZUdhcXwYOl7z0YHXige7oayndMi68vhGuqAn