dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/21/12 7:40 a.m.

Very excited to see the official announcement regarding new ownership and management at the Florida International rally & motorsport park in Keystone Heights, FL. I've been out to the track before and am hopeful that the new ownership will make the investments needed to bring the road course up to par. North Florida has no real road course to speak of, meaning we have to head either to Roebling Road in Savannah (4 hours) or Sebring (3 hours) for events. Having a road course less than 1 hour away would be awesome! They have a kart track too. I may have to break down and buy another track car (and maybe a kart too!).

Press release:

The Florida International Rally & Motorsport Park (The FIRM), Starke, FL Largest Multifunction Motorsports Park & Rally And Performance Driving School in Florida Acquired by Florida Firm

Starke, FL—(August 7, 2012) Ivor Wigham’s European Rally School and Motorsport Park (ERS), located in North Central Florida, a 430 acre full-service motorsports and special events facility and home to one of the top performance rally training schools in North America, has been acquired by investment firm The Strategic Group of Gainesville, Florida. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

For nearly 15 years, ERS has provided high-performance driver training and motorsport training, test facilities, and more for motorsport enthusiasts, professional drivers and teams, Hollywood stunt drivers, US-Military Special Forces units and major automotive and aftermarket equipment manufacturers.

“We are excited about taking the motorsport park, school and facility to the next level, and have already embarked on several improvements including track modifications, private garages and an updated rally school fleet.” said Robert Bunn, general counsel of The Strategic Group (TSG). “We have big plans for the facility and are committed to building the most diverse and exciting motorsports and special events facility in Florida.” Bunn and The Strategic Group investment team identified the benefit that capital infusion and outside management could bring to the park, and after years of on-and-off discussions with Ivor Wigham, the former owner, earlier this year a deal was made.

According to Bunn, the school and the facility has been renamed as The Florida International Rally and Motorsport Park. A brand makeover is underway and the facility will be known as “The FIRM.” Facilities and services offered include the RallyPro Performance Driving School, an exotic car experience, the International Security Academy and a full-service special events facility for private and corporate functions. The FIRM also offers open-to-the-public track days for automotive and motorcycle enthusiasts every month.

“I am happy to hand over the reigns of the school and the facility we’ve built over the last fifteen years to the great team at The Strategic Group,” said Wigham. The TSG transition team includes Kurt Spitzner a well-known rally and motorsports industry professional and who was largely responsible for developing wider public recognition of the sport of rally in the United States while serving as Director of the SCCA Pro Rally championship—now Rally America. “The FIRM is a first-class motorsport facility and the new owners and management team are committed to continued expansion and improvements to the facility and the school,” explained Wigham, who will move on to pursue other interests.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/21/12 8:05 a.m.

What's that thin little trail going through the trees for?

GameboyRMH
8/21/12 8:14 a.m.

Oh there are also some nice "fire road" looking trails here, you can see them in the top-right of the pic above. Here's a satellite view:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=ivor+wigham%27s+european+rally+school&hl=en&ll=29.844357,-82.059288&spn=0.005435,0.00766&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=36.452734,62.753906&t=h&hq=ivor+wigham%27s+european+rally+school&z=17

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
8/21/12 8:23 a.m.

Those are part of their rallystage/rallycross area.

GameboyRMH
8/21/12 8:26 a.m.

Man those trails in the middle look THIN. Is there enough room to powerslide in there?

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltraDork
8/21/12 8:40 a.m.

Looks like it's on an old airport runway. I guess that is one way to get away from noise complaints.

Aeromoto
Aeromoto HalfDork
8/21/12 8:58 a.m.

We've run a few rallycrosses there this year. It's a nice place. The SCCA rallycross divisionals will be there on the 2nd weekend in September. Come on out and get dirty with us.

www.rallyflorida.org

dyintorace
8/22/12 10:01 p.m.
spitfirebill wrote: Looks like it's on an old airport runway. I guess that is one way to get away from noise complaints.

Actually still an active, albeit small, airport. So yes, no noise complaints based on noisy cars!

Interestingly, this place evidently does a lot of business with the government via driver training for military folks. Pretty cool!

docwyte
docwyte HalfDork
8/23/12 8:36 a.m.

Looks like a very tight course

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
8/23/12 10:12 a.m.

That's an older shot. A lot of those trees have been taken down, the walls have been moved back and there's quite a bit more run-off room. There are still a few hinky spots, but it's a darn fun track to play on.

dyintorace
8/23/12 10:21 a.m.

Per - do you think there is any solution for the part where both directions of the track are separated by only a wall?

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
8/23/12 10:22 a.m.
dyintorace wrote: Per - do you think there is any solution for the part where both directions of the track are separated by only a wall?

Well duh-figure 8!

fidelity101
fidelity101 New Reader
8/23/12 1:34 p.m.

In reply to Aeromoto:

and I said I would never go back to Florida!

I spoke too soon...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EZc9c26PFKY3DJT7NAtjfxI6w7m5wV8rBgm57b7bYSYKEA98fb0XAIJpEId1s5Xm