1 2
Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Reader
1/12/15 2:50 p.m.

hmm. I might just take it back and get the Hobart 140.

1.) I can steal parts from Tuna!

2.) see 1.

3.) he knows where to get gas. (google was useless.)

4.) it comes recommended and I really do not see why the LE is 50 more... (539 vs 499).

question, does the Easy Mig LE 140 have variable voltage or just the 5 selectors?

then again, so close why not go with the LE? (it's the homedepot version.)

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Reader
1/12/15 2:52 p.m.

or add confusion. for 499 right now you can buy the Eastwood TIG...

http://www.eastwood.com/tig200dc-welder.html

or hell, 300 for their mig 135

http://www.eastwood.com/mig-welder-110vac-135a-output.html

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
1/12/15 2:56 p.m.

I don't think I've ever heard bad things about the Eastwood welders, the mig 135 sounds good for you.

You buy gas at, well, the gas store. Try searching "welding gas near me" in google.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
1/12/15 2:56 p.m.
Mad_Ratel wrote: hmm. I might just take it back and get the Hobart 140. 1.) I can steal parts from Tuna! 2.) see 1. 3.) he knows where to get gas. (google was useless.) 4.) it comes recommended and I really do not see why the LE is 50 more... (539 vs 499). question, does the Easy Mig LE 140 have variable voltage or just the 5 selectors? then again, so close why not go with the LE? (it's the homedepot version.)

I tried to get this story straight earlier. I heard, probably on the garage journal, that the variable voltage LE is not the Home Depot version, and that it had to be ordered through a welding shop, often at the same price. Don't quote me, though, look and ask around.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/12/15 3:08 p.m.

my welder is "always on" - i bought a newer one that was only hot when trigger pulled, i hated it and sold it.

i always intended to get the gas kit and bottle for mine, but have been running .030 or .035 flux wire through it forever. once i actually learned how to weld correctly, i've never had any issues. car frames, trailer repairs, body work, welding nuts to broken bolts, structural commercial building metalwork, etc. all flux, all the time. most of the time i'm outside anyway.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/12/15 3:18 p.m.

I've got a Hobart I've never set up for gas. Flux gets the job done.

Gas is usually available at any decent hardware store. If not then a welding supply, Tractor Supply or Northern Tool carry it.

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Reader
1/12/15 3:33 p.m.
tuna55 wrote:
Mad_Ratel wrote: hmm. I might just take it back and get the Hobart 140. 1.) I can steal parts from Tuna! 2.) see 1. 3.) he knows where to get gas. (google was useless.) 4.) it comes recommended and I really do not see why the LE is 50 more... (539 vs 499). question, does the Easy Mig LE 140 have variable voltage or just the 5 selectors? then again, so close why not go with the LE? (it's the homedepot version.)
I tried to get this story straight earlier. I heard, probably on the garage journal, that the variable voltage LE is not the Home Depot version, and that it had to be ordered through a welding shop, often at the same price. Don't quote me, though, look and ask around.

do you know of a shop near us? the only one I could find started welders at ~700 bucks...

Uncoiled
Uncoiled Reader
1/12/15 3:40 p.m.

Try both and see what you think. For me it was harder to see what you are welding with flux-core with all the smoke and splatter, so mig welding was much easier for me. It does make much nicer looking welds then flux-core as well.

I have an Eastwood 135 like mentioned above and it works amazing. Has everything you need for mig except the gas and bottle. I think I found it on sale somewhere for $270 shipped.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
1/12/15 4:14 p.m.

I've been "double shielding" lately when I flux core. That is, I run the Argon over the flux wire.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
1/12/15 7:11 p.m.

In reply to Mad_Ratel:

Nope. I typically fill at tractor supply but have used the praxair place near the airport once or twice. I would try the ole tyellow pages for a welding shop and see if they have similar pricing. Either that or Amazon or something.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
1/12/15 7:22 p.m.

On a somewhat unrelated note, I sat down to read this thread with my 6 year old daughter next to me. She insisted on reading the entire thread out loud, and nailed every word. She now knows everything about welding :)

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
1/12/15 7:42 p.m.

So you're saying that GRM people write at a kindergarten level, then, huh?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
1/12/15 7:45 p.m.

Sometimes that's the only way I understand things. So for me that could be a good thing.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
1/12/15 7:47 p.m.

Well, seeing as how a recent study showed that college freshmen were reading at a 7th grade level, I guess it fits.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
F674kDIOoN4ahCfP4vXPbsAdVofhLAS143epZ9cv33G4BRyn8IdqNaXorkj8aYAg