1 2
Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
2/24/15 10:18 a.m.

What the hell is with the asking prices for SVT's these days?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/cto/4894823573.html

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/ctd/4890632732.html

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ctd/4874781096.html

These seem to be $4-5K cars by KBB. Why so crack pipe?

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
2/24/15 10:26 a.m.

It is the perfect storm of tax time, 2 are by dealer, and then you're on the E36 M3ty coast for vehicle value?

Did I cover it all?

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
2/24/15 10:26 a.m.

I would hit the first one if the price was negoiable. Low miles and wagonish. The first two are well below 100k miles. The second two are on dealers lots so add 2k to the price.

Fueled by Caffeine
2/24/15 10:28 a.m.
spitfirebill wrote: I would hit the first one if the price was negoiable. Low miles and wagonish.

completely agree, but I think the west coast has the worst car prices for newer stuff. They last longer out here, so depreciation is slower.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/24/15 10:31 a.m.
Fueled by Caffeine wrote: These seem to be $4-5K cars by KBB. Why so crack pipe?

KBB always undervalues the enthusiast version of regular cars. To them "SVT" is just an option package. To us, it's the whole reason to buy the car.

ScreaminE
ScreaminE HalfDork
2/24/15 10:38 a.m.

1st one is extremely rare, like 1 of 500 or so if memory serves me. It has the much sought after Recaros that are amazing. Still overpriced by a couple of thousand. It's worth around $6500 from what I've seen.

Other two belong in the delusional craigslist post. They are 4-4.5k dollar cars. Max.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
2/24/15 10:54 a.m.
Fueled by Caffeine wrote: They last longer out here, so depreciation is slower.

Its not that they last longer, its the cost of living difference. Here in the midwest those would probably be between $4-5k.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UltraDork
2/24/15 11:05 a.m.

$3-6K around SE Michigan for SVTs, and you get a decade of road salt exposure for free.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
2/24/15 11:06 a.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk:

And your road salt is epic compared to ours in Indiana......

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/24/15 11:09 a.m.

I've been thinking that with certain cars (SVT, WRX, etc.) the sellers are pricing them really high to discourage tire kickers. I know a guy who bought a WRX that was listed at $9k for $5500, and the seller told him it was to try to keep the cheap-asses away.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UltraDork
2/24/15 11:13 a.m.

...and Michigan doesn't use salt as heavily as some other areas I've lived in.

kazoospec
kazoospec Dork
2/24/15 5:57 p.m.
DeadSkunk wrote: ...and Michigan doesn't use salt as heavily as some other areas I've lived in.

Really? Where else have you lived, the Dead Sea?

SEADave
SEADave Reader
2/24/15 6:30 p.m.

Don't underestimate the cost of geographic isolation. I am always seeing posts about some car or another that you can pick up for $2k, $4k, or whatever. But when I look at craiglist here in Seattle they just aren't that cheap. I think you can find better deals if you go down to Portland, or better yet the Bay area of California.

Fueled by Caffeine
2/24/15 6:43 p.m.
SEADave wrote: better yet the Bay area of California.

This might be worth the $49 one way flight to oakland or San Jose.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UltraDork
2/24/15 8:33 p.m.
kazoospec wrote:
DeadSkunk wrote: ...and Michigan doesn't use salt as heavily as some other areas I've lived in.

Quebec and eastern Ontario. They wouldn't even bother mixing sand with the salt. Just cover the road with straight salt. I had rust holes in a 4 year old car back in the late 70s.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/24/15 10:26 p.m.
DeadSkunk wrote:
kazoospec wrote:
Quebec and eastern Ontario. They wouldn't even bother mixing sand with the salt. Just cover the road with straight salt. I had rust holes in a 4 year old car back in the late 70s.

Wait, you've seen them mix sand with the salt in Michigan? Maybe on the west side of the state, but in the Detroit area, it's pure sodium chloride, baby.

Fueled by Caffeine
2/25/15 8:12 a.m.
Datsun1500 wrote: Call KBB and order one, while you're at it get me one of the $9800 2005 S2000's..... KBB is obviously off on the values

I get it. My rant was more directed at the point that cars cost more here. Don't know why but it does. East coast(north and south) you could get stuff cheaper for cars, but hey. I guess it is what it is.

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/25/15 8:25 a.m.

Checking here in Florida. They are pretty cheap:

http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/4889627758.html

http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/4899587717.html

http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/cto/4897743415.html

http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/cto/4888118460.html

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UltraDork
2/25/15 9:04 a.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler:

Tom, I get a mixture on my road and it's put there by Washtenaw County.

NGTD
NGTD SuperDork
2/25/15 7:18 p.m.

In reply to mblommel:

I wish those 5 doors were available when I was car shopping last year.

850Combat
850Combat New Reader
2/25/15 7:34 p.m.

Last May I spent $5400 for a really clean 1 owner all stock SVT. The female seller worked in the service department of a Ford dealer. Its quite nice, no rust anywhere, and nearly new looking. She wanted six. It was time for a timing belt, and we settled. It has the Euro package (That means Recaros and more leather, sunroof, and HJD headlights). Mine had like 115,000 miles. That silver car is rare being a four door. The mileage is low. I would pay more for that than I would for mine, although I wanted the two door, and I like the yellow.

The heater in those seats is cool. It is on the lower back as well as the base, and it felt great after I had strained my back.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
2/26/15 9:25 a.m.

Really? I drive down Oakwood Blvd every day. Yesterday it was a clear dry day and there was a white cloud over the road. It was salt in the air picked up by the cars. Most roads I drive on a white with salt right now. When you get out of your car at work here in Dearborn you can lick your lips and taste the salt in the air.

Back on topic. The first car has gone, I take it, it was a 5 door with the EAP (European Appearance package). That adds the killer Recaro's, HID's and the nice multi spoke wheels. Very very nice. I wanted a 3 door EAP in in orange a few years ago after I totalled my old Focus, but couldn't find one anywhere in the country.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
2/26/15 9:27 a.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote:
Fueled by Caffeine wrote: These seem to be $4-5K cars by KBB. Why so crack pipe?
KBB *always* undervalues the enthusiast version of regular cars. To them "SVT" is just an option package. To us, it's the whole reason to buy the car.

I agree that KBB and the like are always low on performance cars, but why? Supposedly they get their data from actual sales, so where are all the performance cars selling for these low prices?

rcutclif
rcutclif GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/26/15 9:52 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote:
Tom_Spangler wrote:
KBB *always* undervalues the enthusiast version of regular cars. To them "SVT" is just an option package. To us, it's the whole reason to buy the car.
I agree that KBB and the like are always low on performance cars, but why? Supposedly they get their data from actual sales, so where are all the performance cars selling for these low prices?

I think he's saying that KBB doesn't segregate the SVT from the regular focus in its sales data. So the SVT is pulled down to almost exactly the regular focus average, especially when you consider volumes.

KBB does seem to differentiate its output for different trim packages, but maybe its not a big enough factor in the calculation?

Also, NADA usually gives a totally different answer than KBB.

Fueled by Caffeine
2/26/15 11:13 a.m.

Kbb has a segregation fir the svt in its data calculator.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2CICbtoKr5zCeSmajpxjHbXd3a1Uiw3NXldwKfm5mDHEfUfIfVvQu92XnnLseoLu