1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 31
Driven5
Driven5 UltraDork
6/9/21 2:22 p.m.
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) said:

A small longbed pickup might actually be exactly what some delivery companies are looking for. I could see a bunch of them parked out in front of any NAPA parts store. I could see Amazon buying a bunch of them. You might actually bring out buyers who have given up on pickup trucks as being too expensive. Has anybody actually done market research on this?

For consumer goods of any kind, the products and packages need to be kept dry. A long bed with a cap has poor access to the additional bed volume. Any truck will have worse access and less volume than the equivalent van, while also being longer and less maneuverable.

STM317
STM317 UberDork
6/9/21 2:37 p.m.
STM317 said:

In reply to Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) :

That's easy enough to do with a Body on Frame truck. That's a lot harder with a unibody. Especially if you're trying to keep the price super low. A big reason they can offer the base Maverick at $20k is because they're not spending money designing, testing, manufacturing and certifying a bunch of different cab/bed combos that this platform probably can't even support. Ford has options with the size and capability that you say you want, and they overlap the price of the mid trim Maverick. yupididit has been suggested it to you multiple times. If that's still not good the perfect fit, then you might have to go buy an old truck and make it what you want.

I count two different configurations, not a "bunch" of them, and if you make the bed a foot longer you might not even need that. Most older trucks came it those two configurations. The Ford Ranger does and that is from the same manufacturer.

The Ranger (and the older trucks you're lusting for) can do that because they're body on frame and don't start at $20k.

If we suspend reality for a minute and propose that the unibody platform could actually accommodate a regular cab, long bed Maverick, but it meant that all Mavericks cost $3k more how would you feel? Then you've got base Mavericks and base Rangers at essentially the same price. They have better market coverage the way that it is.

I think a lot of people kind of draw a mental line of affordability around $20k, and that hasn't really changed much in the last 20 years or so. But If we use an inflation calculator to go back to the year 2000, when small trucks were still pretty available, we find that a truck that was $20k back then would be over $31k in current dollars. And if we run it back the other way, a truck that starts at $20k today would be like a truck that started at $12.5k back in 2000. This thing is seriously inexpensive.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UltimaDork
6/9/21 2:39 p.m.

Has anybody actually done market research on this?

I bet not. I suspect that no one at the automakers has done any sort of work with fleet managers or buyers, construction companies, or various government entities before designing a small, more efficient truck-like vehicle. I'd be surprised if any of those marketing and planning or R&D groups even thought to ask AutoZone, or OReileys, or Advance, or Amazon what they wanted in a delivery vehicle.  Otherwise they certainly wouldn't be making this.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/9/21 2:52 p.m.

In reply to STM317 :

Weird my affordable line is at $35k for the average vehicle. Trucks and high performance vehicles I give more room to. And I don't earn a lot of money. 

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) Dork
6/9/21 2:53 p.m.
STM317 said:

In reply to Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) :

That's easy enough to do with a Body on Frame truck. That's a lot harder with a unibody. Especially if you're trying to keep the price super low. A big reason they can offer the base Maverick at $20k is because they're not spending money designing, testing, manufacturing and certifying a bunch of different cab/bed combos that this platform probably can't even support. Ford has options with the size and capability that you say you want, and they overlap the price of the mid trim Maverick. yupididit has been suggested it to you multiple times. If that's still not good the perfect fit, then you might have to go buy an old truck and make it what you want, or just keep complaining

Ahh yes. You can have the truck in any color as long as it is black. I heard this before. Right before the General killed Model T sales and that company took decades to catch up.

Somewhere down the road a new manufacturer will figure out how to build a unibody truck with different modules or possibly an entirely new way of manufacturing so you could order exactly the configuration of truck you need and do it at a reasonable price. It will probably be a Korean Company or Elon Musk or maybe a Chinese manufacturer and it will probably be an EV.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/9/21 2:53 p.m.
ultraclyde said:

I bet not. I suspect that no one at the automakers has done any sort of work with fleet managers or buyers, construction companies, or various government entities before designing a small, more efficient truck-like vehicle. I'd be surprised if any of those marketing and planning or R&D groups even thought to ask AutoZone, or OReileys, or Advance, or Amazon what they wanted in a delivery vehicle.  Otherwise they certainly wouldn't be making this.

If you think giant billion-dollar companies make multi-million dollar investments without doing any market research, you're wrong. Here's a tip: market research is hard. It's hard to figure out what questions to ask, who to ask, and what to do with the data that results. There's a reason people get paid a lot of money for it.

As far as delivery vehicles, they have the Transit Connect for that.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
6/9/21 2:54 p.m.

Anyone know what the rear suspension is like on the AWD model?  The FWD one seems to use your basic trailing beam axle which is know for being cheap and... getting the job done, but surely the AWD model has a different solution.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
6/9/21 2:55 p.m.
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) said:
ultraclyde said:

If you think giant billion-dollar companies make multi-million dollar investments without doing any market research, you're wrong. Here's a tip: market research is hard. It's hard to figure out what questions to ask, who to ask, and what to do with the data that results. There's a reason people get paid a lot of money for it.

I read his entire post as sarcasm, because they certainly did do all of that.

6/9/21 3:02 p.m.
yupididit said:

In reply to STM317 :

Weird my affordable line is at $35k for the average vehicle. Trucks and high performance vehicles I give more room to. And I don't earn a lot of money. 

You know what is really strange. I know people who are millionaires here in Dallas who still wouldn't spend $35,000 on any kind of a vehicle, and many of them drove $5,000 beaters when they were building their businesses. My wife's boss drives an old PT Cruiser and owns several million dollars worth of commercial real estate plus ten rental homes homes in Dallas that are skyrocketing in value. His last vacation cost more than my car.

6/9/21 3:06 p.m.
ProDarwin said:
ultraclyde said:

And if somebody in purchasing figures out that a longbed Maverick with a topper can be had for $15,000 less than a Transit Connect then all that market research goes in the garbage.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones HalfDork
6/9/21 3:11 p.m.
ProDarwin said:
ultraclyde said:

And if somebody in purchasing figures out that a longbed Maverick with a topper can be had for $15,000 less than a Transit Connect then all that market research goes in the garbage.

It doesn't because a van serves a much different need than a truck with a cap. Cheaper or not, it's a different tool, and will not work as well in most situations. 
it's much easier to load and unload a van. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
6/9/21 3:17 p.m.
Steve_Jones said:
ProDarwin said:
ultraclyde said:

It doesn't because a van serves a much different need than a truck with a cap. Cheaper or not, it's a different tool, and will not work as well in most situations. 

Not to mention a base Transit Connect is only about $4700 more than a base Maverick, which is still significant, but close enough that if a van is significantly more appropriate for the job, it's probably worth the extra expense.

6/9/21 3:18 p.m.
Steve_Jones said:
ProDarwin said:
ultraclyde said:

When has "not working well in most situations" overridden "it's cheaper" in the corporate world? laugh

6/9/21 3:22 p.m.
eastsideTim said:
Steve_Jones said:
ProDarwin said:
ultraclyde said:

Not to mention a base Transit Connect is only about $4700 more than a base Maverick. 

I'll bet that Transit Connect would be more than that right now when the dealer has only one in stock and fifteen different people want to buy one.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
6/9/21 3:25 p.m.

Except right now, there are no Mavericks on the lot, so they could charge even more for one of those laugh

Regardless, it's been less than a day and a half since this thread began and we're on page ten.  Based on that level of interest, this is either going to be a massive hit or a massive failure.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/9/21 3:29 p.m.
eastsideTim said:

Regardless, it's been less than a day and a half since this thread began and we're on page ten.  Based on that level of interest, this is either going to be a massive hit or a massive failure.

We may not be able to discuss politics or religion on here, but get us going on trucks, and watch out! smiley

6/9/21 3:31 p.m.
eastsideTim said:

Except right now, there are no Mavericks on the lot, so they could charge even more for one of those laugh

If they can sell it for 20K it will be a hit, even with the small bed. wink

GCrites80s
GCrites80s HalfDork
6/9/21 3:37 p.m.

I wonder if there's going to be an NA one that's not a hybrid eventually. Not everyone needs 250hp in a 3500 pound truck. Might get the MPG up as compared to the turbo. Or even a 190hp 1.5 turbo.

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/9/21 3:37 p.m.
eastsideTim said:

Not to mention a base Transit Connect is only about $4700 more than a base Maverick, which is still significant, but close enough that if a van is significantly more appropriate for the job, it's probably worth the extra expense.

No doubt. Why in heavens name would you buy a vehicle that is significantly less well suited for the task just to save 20 percent on the initial cost plus a little gas? Reference sledge hammer vs finish hammer again. And since when did any delivery vehicle need a back seat?

It does raise the question why the Transit Connect isn't available in hybrid form?

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
6/9/21 3:43 p.m.
Kreb (Forum Supporter) said:
eastsideTim said:

No doubt. Why in heavens name would you buy a vehicle that is significantly less well suited for the task just to save 20 percent on the initial cost plus a little gas? Reference sledge hammer vs finish hammer again. And since when did any delivery vehicle need a back seat?

It does raise the question why the Transit Connect isn't available in hybrid form?

I wonder that myself.  I have heard a rumor they will move production to North America in the near future.  Seems like it'd be an ideal time to add the hybrid drivetrain then.  It'd be huge hit with local delivery and service companies, especially if the hybrid system stays as reliable as it seems to have been on earlier Fords.

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
6/9/21 3:54 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

I can answer that!

Looks like FWD gets MacPherson struts up front with a twist beam in the rear, and the AWD gets MacPherson struts up front with multi-link trailing arms in the rear.

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
6/9/21 4:01 p.m.

It’s a ute!

Has anyone complained yet that it doesn’t come with a manual? I want a Maverick RS!

Seriously though, this is what I wanted the current Ranger to be, and would be near the top of my shopping list if we needed a new dad-mobile.

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/9/21 4:17 p.m.
BlueInGreen - Jon said:

It’s a ute!

Has anyone complained yet that it doesn’t come with a manual?

Nope. I'm tired of beating that dead horse.

If they make a manual, it will likely be a fully contented ST and cost more than I want to pay...

6/9/21 4:21 p.m.
gumby said:
BlueInGreen - Jon said:

It’s a ute!

Has anyone complained yet that it doesn’t come with a manual?

Nope. I'm tired of beating that dead horse.

If they make a manual, it will likely be a fully contented ST and cost more than I want to pay...

I want one with two doors, a manual transmission and a long bed that also looks like an Australian Ute. 

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/9/21 4:27 p.m.

What's the bed length with the tailgate down? This is really interesting ...

Wonder if a sportbike would fit with the tailgate down?

1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 31

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QMdqCdsZKYOaGzqqjmIbAs2rmxLvUxKT0dFFoGH8WJCi5q3633tJ1JUgeNhhLTCk