1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 31
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/10/21 12:55 p.m.

In reply to AaronT :

I disagree.  The one constant I know about people who've made a lot of money is that they were careful on the way up, and that's what made them wealthy, including those who started from nothing on the streets of Detroit in the 60's.  Also all the people I know who inherited money who spent a lot are now essentially broke, and those who were frugal probably have more than they started with.  Especially on the inherited side I know no middle ground.  I know one family who blew through something like $5m in less than 20 years and also had to sell houses in Palm beach, Bloomfield hills and up North and now the remaining family members probably have less than a couple of hundred grand left in net worth.  They appeared to be rich, they lived the Hollywood 'rich' lifestyle.  I know people with eight figure net worth who drive 5-20 year old cars.

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) Dork
6/10/21 12:58 p.m.
AaronT said:
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) said:
jv8 said:
yupididit said:

Oooo lots of judgey grumpy haters who know better than people who buy what they want. 

Though, no one needs a v8 miata, or 500hp wagon, or 11 $2000 E36 M3 boxes in their yard, or a 350hp hot hatch when a regular focus exist, or a v12 jaguar at 79 years old, or a late 70s big block luxobarge. AMG and M-cars? Wow what kind of machoman complex is this!?

I shall bow to yall superior automotive financial intellect and decision making! 

LOL - great point!

I really don't care what you buy. I was just pointing out that some people I know who have a whole lot of money still think that $35,000 is too much for any kind of a car. In fact people who have a whole lot of money tend to treat money more carefully than those who don't. Who am I to talk? I still have my high interest Summit Credit Card and use it from time to time. You will find that if you talk to some of these big money guys, and considering how much they are worth I am amazed at how much time they will waste explaining money to me, they do have an entirely different attitude towards money than the majority of the population. Listening to guys like that has helped me change my own spending habits and my own finances and for the better, even though I still sometimes spend stupid money on cars.  

As for the new Ranger. Meh. I really don't care for the big, tall pickup trucks. These things sit taller and the bed is taller making them harder to load. Is there an engineering reason why these things are so tall other than ground clearance for off road driving? I really don't need another Jeep. I also think these big four door trucks kind of look like rolling mushrooms with their curved lines. I'm sure there are a dozen safety and engineering reasons why they look they way they do. I don't care. They are still ugly. 

I'm still really not sure I need to spend $35,000 on something I may use every other weekend when I already have four cars sitting in the driveway. 

Ehhh, I'm going to cast doubt on the assertion that people with a whole lot of money are collectively more careful with money, they just have a ton more ceiling above the point of diminishing returns. It's much easier to recognize a rich person being frugal than a regular person being frugal because we're really used to seeing rich people be not frugal. There's also the people who view collecting money as a hobby. It's kind of like someone getting a high score in a video game: satisfying for them, but ultimately meaningless.  

Are we talking about people who came up from poverty and built their own successful businesses or people who inherited money and are pissing it away on Raptors, hookers and blow. There is a big difference between these two crowds. No matter how much money you have, there are many ways of going through all of it and plenty of people willing to help you. 

At one time my father was worth close to a million dollars. When he died there was so little left that I had to put his funeral on my credit card and take care of Mom. 

AaronT
AaronT Reader
6/10/21 1:21 p.m.

In reply to Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) :

I don't know, I didn't bring up the topic ;)

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/10/21 1:24 p.m.
............ pissing it away on  hookers and blow.

No, we were talking about the wasted money devil

6/10/21 1:27 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) said:
............ pissing it away on  hookers and blow.

No, we were talking about the wasted money devil

OK. Wasted money as opposed to money spent on track fees and race car tires. 

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/10/21 1:33 p.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) :

That's only true for the people YOU KNOW. Got it. Lol

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/10/21 1:35 p.m.

Someone mentioned it before, but the fact that this vehicle has sparked this kind of passionate conversation makes it feel like Lee Iacocca all over again.

I like it. 

GCrites80s
GCrites80s HalfDork
6/10/21 2:21 p.m.

Everything with trucks had gotten so stale over the past 10+ years.

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/10/21 2:26 p.m.
GCrites80s said:

Everything with trucks had gotten so stale over the past 10+ years.

When I think of the most fun vehicles that I've ever had - other than sports cars and motorcycles, it's been small trucks. - Especially two-seaters, but evidently I can't have everything.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones HalfDork
6/10/21 2:29 p.m.

I know a lot of people with a good bit of money. Frugal is relative. They might buy a $35k car and drive it for 10 years, but spend $50k on a 10 day vacation. Is that frugal or is that spending money on what you like? Some people see vehicles as nothing more than transportation and buy accordingly. I'm sure some of us on this board have a stove that was more than $10k and a car that was less, where does that put us?

On the truck discussion, I had an F-350 crew, long bed, diesel for awhile because of what I needed a truck for. I now have a Tacoma long bed because my needs have changed, but I still like having a truck around. I can see the maverick filling a need for people that use a truck every so often and don't want something too big for the job. 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
6/10/21 3:34 p.m.

In reply to Steve_Jones :

True. I've got a couch that cost more than several of my cars. Paid premium money for it  in 1983 and it's still in everyday use 38 years later. We all get to spend our money as we see fit.  $10K for a stove???

Back to the Maverick. I have a two year old Canyon, so I'm not in the market, but if I were a small truck like the Maverick could do double duty as a trucklet and as a replacement for my MINI Cooper DD. I found the Bronco Sport intriguing and this might be better.

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
6/10/21 3:52 p.m.

Well I just ran through the configurator. By the time I go with the AWD turbo, offroad package, bed cover, XLT and a few knick-knacks I'm looking at $31K. 

Shocked! I'm shocked!wink

tremm
tremm Reader
6/10/21 3:54 p.m.

Back to the truck-

my first thought at hearing 40mpg/$20,000 was that every kid 16-25 is going to want one (who isn't a .. import tuner guy or Motortrend Mopar marketing victim). Can anyone with kids 14-18 or who's young enough to be in touch comment on that?

The scenario I'm thinking of is a parent who, 10 years ago, would be buying an economy car, like the Scion brand, an $18k Civic, etc. Now you don't have to consider the drawback of a 18mpg Ranger. And can argue safety. 

Not everyone buys new vehicles for high schoolers, and I didn't, but a $20k ($21.5 with destination to my area) warrantied SUV that gets 40mpg seems pretty attractive.

https://www.hyundaiusa.com/us/en/vehicles Venue CUV $18.7 30/33, Kona CUV $21 30/35, Accent $15 29/39, Elantra $19.6 33/43

https://www.kia.com/us/en/vehicles Niro CUV $24.7 53/48, Rio hatch $17 33/41

https://www.toyota.com/prius/ the Corolla base/ hybrid is $20/$23.6 and 31-40/53-52. The Corolla hatchback $20.7 30/38, CHR $21.6 27/31

https://automobiles.honda.com/ HRV $21 28/34, Civic $21 30/38

https://www.mitsubishicars.com/#hero-area Outlander Sport CUV 24/30, Mirage hatch $14 36/43, Mirage sedan $15 35/41 Eclipse CUV $23.4 26/29

https://www.chevrolet.com/ trailblazer CUV $19 unknown, Trax CUV $21.4 26/31, Equinox SUV $23.8 26/31, Spark $13.4 30/38

https://www.ford.com/ Ecosport CUV $20.3 27/29, Fusion $23 43/41

^This was a quick peak- I didn't check other engine combos, rebates, model packages, promotions/incentives, etc. Just base MSRP & advertised fuel economy, looking for <$23,000ish automobiles.

I haven't been following new cars at all. Maybe there will be a slew of new CUV hybrids (at a $20-25 range) with increased performance in the coming generation.

In that mindset, I noticed that the base model Maverick came with an AM/FM radio. I'm assuming someone will make a model-specific aftermarket bluetooth adapter, or go with a AM/FM transmitter to your phone I guess?

It'll be interesting to see real world reviews, crash test ratings, and MPG.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
6/10/21 4:03 p.m.

In reply to tremm :

Come to think of it, while they usually weren't new, I think more than a few of my high school classmates got a pickup truck because their parents wanted the utility of one without having to regularly drive it themselves.  This was back in the early nineties, when compact pickups cost about the same as economy cars, and far fewer people daily drove pickups.

tremm
tremm Reader
6/10/21 4:06 p.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

I'm not in the market, but if I were a small truck like the Maverick could do double duty as a trucklet and as a replacement for my MINI Cooper DD. I found the Bronco Sport intriguing and this might be better.

What's a DD? The all-electric 2 door?

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
6/10/21 4:09 p.m.

In reply to tremm :

I might be able to weigh in as a 26-year-old, though just know I don't speak for everyone my age.

For me, the appeal of Maverick–as well as the Santa Cruz–is the size. I don't really like the idea of owning a modern full-size truck. I think they are too big, and I don't really want (or need) a body-on-frame vehicle.

As well, both the Maverick and the Santa Cruz are crossovers that are kind of like trucks, not trucks that are kind of like crossovers if that makes any sense.

Above all, I just like the idea of a smaller vehicle that can hold me, my wife, my kid and whatever dirty things the kid brings home with her. 

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/10/21 4:10 p.m.

22,700 for my base model with the stuff i would have to have

27,900 for the luxury truck with the brown interior. Which is really cheap!

Im kinda shocked, really. 

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
6/10/21 4:16 p.m.
tremm said:

Back to the truck-

Can anyone with kids 14-18 or who's young enough to be in touch comment on that?

Does recently turned 20 count?  My kid, who is a certified car nut, has already started saving for one. laugh It hit's a lot of boxes for him as a DD (daily driver) and is probably fun to drive while giving him a bed for junkyard runs and stuff.

The radio comes with Apple and Android players.  Again, if my kid's any indication, he doesn't listen to the radio (terrestrial or satellite) and instead runs it all from his phone.  I was kinda surprised satellite wasn't available as an option without the Lariat luxury package, but I'm probably not quite the target market.

-Rob

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones HalfDork
6/10/21 4:37 p.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

Look at the price of a Wolf stove. Yes, it's expensive, but it's been used everyday for 18 years now with zero issues. In this house I've bought 1 stove, 1 refrigerator, and 1 dishwasher. They get used everyday. Like your couch, worth the money in the long run. 

STM317
STM317 UberDork
6/10/21 4:42 p.m.

In reply to tremm :

From pictures, it appears to be running Sync 3 for infotainment. That's Ford's last generation tech, but it's still capable of pairing with a phone and running CarPlay or whatever. While it may not be their most cutting edge software, the young people that this is marketed towards will have what they want for tunes.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
6/10/21 4:44 p.m.

In reply to tremm :

DD= daily driver

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
6/10/21 4:58 p.m.
Steve_Jones said:

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

Look at the price of a Wolf stove. Yes, it's expensive, but it's been used everyday for 18 years now with zero issues. In this house I've bought 1 stove, 1 refrigerator, and 1 dishwasher. They get used everyday. Like your couch, worth the money in the long run. 

Meh. I had an ancient Wedgewood. Replaced it with a Wolf. In 15 years I've had to work on the Wolf several times. Wedgewood never gave me a lick of trouble.

6/10/21 5:11 p.m.
STM317 said:

In reply to tremm :

From pictures, it appears to be running Sync 3 for infotainment. That's Ford's last generation tech, but it's still capable of pairing with a phone and running CarPlay or whatever. While it may not be their most cutting edge software, the young people that this is marketed towards will have what they want for tunes.

I have Synch 3 on my Mustang. I can listen to satellite radio and pair with my iPhone. I like it!

karplus2
karplus2 GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/10/21 6:27 p.m.

I am having a hard time figuring out if you can get cruise control on the base model based on the configurator. That seems like something that should come on all vehicles regardless of trim level.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
6/10/21 6:54 p.m.
karplus2 said:

I am having a hard time figuring out if you can get cruise control on the base model based on the configurator. That seems like something that should come on all vehicles regardless of trim level.

Looks like you have to go with the XLT or higher to get it.  However, once supplies are up, I suspect it'll become a dealer installable option.

1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 31

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IcH6sip4fJ4UGLlupV7IEjocPIIO0n97cH9loEEBt2D1gRkXlNqi0AxUosdXQ48Q