1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 31
rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
6/14/21 3:34 p.m.

I think the driving force for a lot of the Maverick's will be the hybrid option.  Of the above CUVs, none are hybrids at that price.  The ones that offer a hybrid option tack on another $4-7k to the above price.  So, while the CUVs might offer more features at a cheaper price, if you buy the comparably optioned Maverick v. the hybrid version of the CUV, the Maverick is probably still cheaper.

If you go outside the CUV route and just keep it to hybrid's, the cheapest ones are still $3-4k more than the Maverick. 

I'm still impressed that Ford could undercut the hybrid market by that much. 

-Rob

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/14/21 3:54 p.m.

Yea, what rob_lewis sez'

My sixteen y/o daughter has consistently said she wants a Subaru due to their image of being tree hugger / nature oriented.

I directed her Ford's Maverick site and told her the drive train was basically an adaptation of that used on the Toyota Prius.

Her immediate response was "eco friendly without the prius stigma" and started asking a bunch of questions about it.

Again, I think rob_lewis has it nailed...the Maverick will eat into the hybrid market, not just the crossover truck market.

I know I'd rather get her a Maverick over a Subaru as its little bed would accommodate many of my needs and the added weight from the hybrid system would give her a F=MA advantage.

I bought my CX-3 thinking I'd give it to her but now I'm hesitant due to its low weight / small size...the Maverick gets a "dad approved" car for daughter rating.  

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) PowerDork
6/14/21 3:55 p.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:
gumby said:
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

I'm curious about tow ratings and vehicles over time. For example, I'm thoroughly convinced that this Maverick rated to tow 2k lbs would be infinitely easier and safer to drive with 6k lbs hooked up than a 1991 roadmonster (that happens to have been rated for 6k lbs) with 6k lbs hooked up. 

Reported. This post violates community standards - personal attack

Your 1994 Buick

@Gumby

Thats shot #2. Good thing it'll take 4 shots to sink that battleship. 

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
6/14/21 4:02 p.m.

In reply to barefootskater (Shaun) :

At this rate the next GRM T shirt is going to have angry shifter dude in a Buick Roadmaster. 

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/14/21 4:07 p.m.

In reply to barefootskater (Shaun) :

Thankfully, I already upgraded the brakes AND mine's a Country Squire. That "too slow" part is on point though...

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) PowerDork
6/14/21 4:14 p.m.

In reply to gumby :

I didn't think it was too slow. Though my perspective of "slow" on that trip may have been a bit skewed. 

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/14/21 5:04 p.m.
rob_lewis said:

-Rob

I figured it out. They borrowed a classic marketing caveat:

"Batteries not included"

GCrites80s
GCrites80s HalfDork
6/14/21 8:09 p.m.
rob_lewis said:

I think the driving force for a lot of the Maverick's will be the hybrid option.  Of the above CUVs, none are hybrids at that price.  The ones that offer a hybrid option tack on another $4-7k to the above price.  So, while the CUVs might offer more features at a cheaper price, if you buy the comparably optioned Maverick v. the hybrid version of the CUV, the Maverick is probably still cheaper.

If you go outside the CUV route and just keep it to hybrid's, the cheapest ones are still $3-4k more than the Maverick. 

-Rob

Is the Maverick technically considered a "hybrid-lite" since the motor(s) are in the transmission and the battery isn't very large? The battery looks like it's about the size of a 10-gallon gas tank.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
6/14/21 8:44 p.m.

No, its just not a PHEV.

Its the same type of Hybrid as a Prius and I would hardly consider that a hybrid-lite.  The battery is only used to recapture energy and assist, it doesnt have to carry a large charge.

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/14/21 10:25 p.m.

The Hybrid is only available in the FWD model, correct?  The hybrid is the most attractive to me, but I'd really like AWD.

STM317
STM317 UberDork
6/15/21 4:13 a.m.
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) said:

The Hybrid is only available in the FWD model, correct?  The hybrid is the most attractive to me, but I'd really like AWD.

Correct. Ford has never made an AWD hybrid. I'm assuming that this version will be very similar to their previous hybrid designs which can't really accommodate an AWD option.

infinitenexus
infinitenexus Dork
6/15/21 7:19 a.m.

rob_lewis really hit the nail on the head here.  The Maverick is the cheapest hybrid on the market, and for that price you get 4 doors and a nice truck bed.  Worded differently, it's cheaper than my wife's Prius yet carries a lot more, which is honestly our only complaint about the Prius - my wife keeps finding furniture and kitchen tables for cheap but we can't fit it in the Prius.  

For a comparison at a different angle, comparing this to other small SUVs/CUVs and trucks, this is cheaper than almost all of them, offers lots of room, gets the best gas mileage (in hybrid form).  Ugly grill aside, Ford nailed it with this one.  

I'm still hoping a couple other manufacturers come out with some competition soon and we see some mini truck wars.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
6/15/21 7:36 a.m.
STM317 said:
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) said:

Correct. Ford has never made an AWD hybrid. I'm assuming that this version will be very similar to their previous hybrid designs which can't really accommodate an AWD option.

They made a hybrid AWD Escape.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/15/21 11:07 a.m.

The more I think about it, the more I think this will be my first new car I buy.

I don't like new cars for several reasons but this checks a lot of boxes for me. A 40mpg work truck that's relatively cheap and will do 90 percent of what I want? If it could tow 4000 pounds with the hybrid it would be basically perfect.

And I see lease prices are supposed to be stupid low too, never really looked into leases since I like older cars anyway. Guess I'll do my research

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
6/17/21 2:19 p.m.

Can't recall if anyone's posted these links yet.

Maverick Trim Comparison

Maverick Tech Specs

One silly thing that stands out is you have to pay $8835 to have SiriusXM.  It's only available on the Lariat trim with the Luxury package.

-Rob

LanEvo
LanEvo GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/17/21 3:05 p.m.

So, it's:

• unibody
  • FWD
  • 4-cylinder
  • 4.5' bed
  • tow rating of just 2k lbs.

Doesn't sound like a functional truck to me. How is this more useful than, say, a RAV4?

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
6/17/21 3:11 p.m.
LanEvo said:

So, it's:

• unibody
  • FWD
  • 4-cylinder
  • 4.5' bed

Doesn't sound like a functional truck to me. How is this more useful than, say, a RAV4?

You can't put 4 mountain bikes in the back of a Rav4.  You can't carry 4x8 sheets of wood in the back of a Rav4.  You can't shovel 1500lbs of mulch in the back of a Rav4.  You can't [insert list of things that require an external bed] with a Rav4.

Its rated to tow 4000lbs if you get the non-hybrid model.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
6/17/21 3:44 p.m.
LanEvo said:

So, it's:

• unibody
  • FWD
  • 4-cylinder
  • 4.5' bed

I think the thing everyone's getting hung up on is the truck-ness of it and questioning that.  I doubt this will cut into any of the sales of people who want/need a truck for serious truck things.  Ford (and others) have a full compliment of more capable trucks than the Maverick.

The Maverick will cut into hybrid sales and CUV sales.  Hybrid because it's the cheapest one on the market, for now, and provides some more utility than a hybrid sedan.  Regarding the CUV's it'll be interesting.  Some will stay with a CUV because they can put luggage and stuff in the back without getting wet, others will get the Maverick because the bed is open and easier to haul stuff.

Maybe we should stop thinking about it as a "truck" and more of a "truck light". 

-Rob

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
6/17/21 3:49 p.m.
rob_lewis said:

Maybe we should stop thinking about it as a "truck" and more of a "truck light". 

-Rob

Its a large prius with an external open trunk.

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/17/21 4:07 p.m.
rob_lewis said:

-Rob

It's amazing how people get hung up on this stuff. If I had a quarter for everyone who's whined about unibody trucks, I'd fill up my Ridgeline bed, drive it over to the dealership and pay cash for a newer one.

I've noticed that Hyundai's kinda downplaying the truck angle, and that's not a bad idea, but Fords kinda stuck with it because it basically looks like a growth stunted F-150. 

Rons
Rons GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/17/21 5:41 p.m.
LanEvo said:

So, it's:

• unibody
  • FWD
  • 4-cylinder
  • 4.5' bed

RAV4 towing

FWD and AWD           1500 lbs

Hybrid                          2500 lbs

Trail Edition.              3500 lbs

So tows more, if I was still an owner/operator courier Maverick has a rear seat helping me have one vehicle, the rear seat yields a locking area for small items, bed could carry over size items, and I could go on but basically a lot of things.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
6/17/21 5:51 p.m.
Rons said:

So tows more, if I was still an owner/operator courier Maverick has a rear seat helping me have one vehicle, the rear seat yields a locking area for small items, bed could carry over size items, and I could go on but basically a lot of things.

I could imagine a hybrid Maverick with the rear seat removed being very popular with the big chain auto parts stores.

-Rob

6/17/21 6:23 p.m.
LanEvo said:

So, it's:

• unibody
  • FWD
  • 4-cylinder
  • 4.5' bed

Depends what you wanna use it for. I'd never have it as my only vehicle but for the standard level of concrete finishing tools and basic setup stuff? Ive done that out of the back of a zx2

But I'm also an outlier, I need a multi vehicle fleet because I have multiple drivers doing different things. It's not gonna make me get rid of anything, that's for sure

6/17/21 6:26 p.m.

Anyone got some MPG numbers for the gas engine?

stanger_mussle
stanger_mussle GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/17/21 6:53 p.m.

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

I don't believe those numbers have been released yet.

1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 31

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CBV8LpWRrxvsV0cMg4hZwxFlVjxn1yynCGiaA4bAHfmcjhlmYbV5Lpa3igFPnN8f