1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 31
malibuguy
malibuguy GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/8/21 12:48 p.m.

i am all for smaller trucks...Rangers and Colorados are too damn big

I would highly consider one if it wasnt a ford product, but a similar execution.  Something like this can eliminate 3 of my vehicles.

Being a FWD based unibody to me is actually desirable.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/8/21 12:49 p.m.
John Welsh said:

Im sure the aftermarket will jump in but given those large plastic bed rail covers, it seems that an integrated tonneau cover would have been a good idea.   Maybe a retractable shade of semi-rigid sorts.  This might help bridge the gap between SUV and Open bed.  

Truxedo probably already has them in production.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones HalfDork
6/8/21 12:52 p.m.

How many people loving on this one bought an explorer sport trac? Isn't it pretty much a newer version of that?

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
6/8/21 12:55 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:

I was wondering Vs the Ranger

Here https://www.motor1.com/news/512510/2022-ford-maverick-size-ranger-f150/

Edit: 

Pretty sure that chart is biased.  I suspect the Maverick's width is without mirrors, and the other ones are with mirrors.

EDIT:  Yeah, without mirrors, the Ranger is 77.8" wide.

I like the idea of the truck, especially at that width.  While it is longer than I'd like, I've generally found that narrower the vehicle, the easier it is to maneuver in dense traffic.   If they have proven themselves reliable when it comes time to replace the Mazda5, a Maverick could be tempting.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
6/8/21 12:56 p.m.
Steve_Jones said:

How many people loving on this one bought an explorer sport trac? Isn't it pretty much a newer version of that?

This'd be much lighter duty, with a much lower price tag to go with it.

Driven5
Driven5 UltraDork
6/8/21 12:58 p.m.
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) said:

If I could get one with a bed long enough for my dirt bike and space behind the seats for a couple of dogs I would be interested. If I could get the same ecoboost I have in my Mustang and enough towing capacity to tow my Miata to the track, I would probably be on my way to the dealer right now. The four doors is not a deal breaker as much as the tiny bed is. Pickups are for hauling and towing stuff. 

Even if it won't even fit the 6' platform on a diagonal, there is more than one way to skin a cat...

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/8/21 1:00 p.m.
Driven5 said:
Colin Wood said:

Let me know if anyone has any specific questions that I might be able to answer from Ford.

What's the planned timeline for a styling refresh with headlights that don't look incredibly awkward? It actually seems like a great little trucklet otherwise.

I have never been a fan of the [    ]   bracket headlights of the recent Super Duty

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones HalfDork
6/8/21 1:04 p.m.
eastsideTim said:
Steve_Jones said:

Might be lighter duty, but an AWD Sport Trac in 2005 was $24k with a few options, seems to be where this will be hitting. Just seemed odd that there's love for this, none for that. Maybe it was too early for it's time. 

of course it could be because F-150 prices in 2005 were a lot better too, so the price savings wasn't enough to make sense. 

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/8/21 1:04 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

That picture makes the Ranger look like the black sheep of the Ford truck family. The Maverick is more like ( ) parantheses compared to the edgier [ ] brackets of the heavier trucks.

edit: honestly the Maverick more likes an S10 successor with the bar across the headlights...

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
6/8/21 1:09 p.m.

I wish it had a bed/cabin pass-thru ala the Avalanche. A trucklet like this where you could completely remove the rear bulkhead and gain an additional 24" of "bed" space would be fantastic. 

That being said, being the cheapest hybrid you can buy is a big deal. If it were Plug-In, that'd be even better, but even so, the MPG of a vehicle this big is impressive. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
6/8/21 1:14 p.m.
Steve_Jones said:
eastsideTim said:
Steve_Jones said:

Might be lighter duty, but an AWD Sport Trac in 2005 was $24k with a few options, seems to be where this will be hitting. Just seemed odd that there's love for this, none for that. Maybe it was too early for it's time. 

of course it could be because F-150 prices in 2005 were a lot better too, so the price savings wasn't enough to make sense. 

Looks like $24000 in 2005 is the equivalent to almost $33000 in 2021.

I bought a brand new F150 Heritage extended cab long bed with the 4.6 V8 in 2004 for less than $19000.  Inflation creeps up on you.

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
6/8/21 1:15 p.m.
Steve_Jones said:
eastsideTim said:
Steve_Jones said:

Difference in MPG between F150 and SportTrac wasn't substantially different either. In fact, per EPA, they were identical. 

The Maverick's class-leading MPG is a big win. 

In fact, I imagine that it'll hit the sales of the Bronco Sport really hard. Would would I want a smaller vehicle, for more money, that uses more fuel? 

Actually...I wonder how similar the Bronco Sport and Maverick are? Could it be possible to throw the front end of a Bronco Sport onto a Maverick? 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad

I had a friend with a Sport Trac with this topper...

She loved this truck.  She has a hobby farm where she raises Alpacas.  On this raised topper the whole back end also lifts like a hatch back.  With no tail gate in the way she could load hay or feed for the animals easily.  Another benefit was the glass allowed for visibility very low when backing.  For herself, she didn't need anything bigger  for daily driving because, of course, her husband had the pre-requisite 4 door F150

Ethnic Food-Wrap Aficionado
Ethnic Food-Wrap Aficionado Dork

As a serial owner of Rabbit Pickups, this ticks a LOT of boxes for me.  As long as I can get one fullsize modern dirt bike in the bed diagonally, and two short wheelbase flat track bikes in side by side, I'm a very likely buyer after they start showing up used.  I really hope this gets other manufacturers to bring their cute unibody trucks to the states to compete with the Maverick.

bentwrench
bentwrench SuperDork
6/8/21 1:16 p.m.

It doesn't need a long bed if you put a rack on it....

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/8/21 1:21 p.m.
yupididit said:
Brett_Murphy said:

They can't make it a two door with a longer bed, or I suspect it would be the weapon of choice for lots of people instead of bigger trucks.

As it is, I think it's going to eat into those sales quite a bit.

If I could get one with a bed long enough for my dirt bike and space behind the seats for a couple of dogs I would be interested. If I could get the same ecoboost I have in my Mustang and enough towing capacity to tow my Miata to the track, I would probably be on my way to the dealer right now. The four doors is not a deal breaker as much as the tiny bed is. Pickups are for hauling and towing stuff. 

Have you looked at the supercab Rangers? Sounds like thats your sweet spot. 

I'm not really buying anything in this overpriced car market. I just sold two. 

Maybe in a couple of years when the sales come back. 

"I would probably be on my way to the dealer right now"

Maybe I read this as you'd buy if you found the perfect truck.

STM317
STM317 UberDork
6/8/21 1:21 p.m.
Steve_Jones said:
eastsideTim said:
Steve_Jones said:

Aside from being a 4 door with a short bed, what's the same? The Sport Trac was BoF with agricultural engines that did nothing particularly well. They got poor fuel economy, made unremarkable power, rode/handled unremarkably. You could get a super crew F150 with more capability and almost zero drawbacks over the Sport Trac.

This new vehicle delivers a very unique mix of functionality and efficiency at a base price that makes it the least expensive hybrid one can buy. There's nothing comparable right now in size, efficiency, or especially price. Hyundai's new trucklet might come close on a few of those, but it's expected to start around $7k more than the Maverick, and doesn't have Ford truck branding that will appeal to lots of people. You could also think of it as a Rav4 hybrid with more space, and functionality for $10k less.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/8/21 1:45 p.m.

Maybe Ford dealers could take a page out of the Kia handbook.  

Kia dealers used to run something like buy a well equipped minivan (at full sticker price) and get a free 3 year lease of a Kia Rio (stipper model,)  

I could see, buy a Super Duty 4 door (for your real hauling needs) and get a free Maverick (for the mpg and light hauling needs.)  

All kidding aside, these could be a handy additional vehicle to have around with a combo of efficiency and utility.  

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
6/8/21 2:01 p.m.
MrChaos said:

I also think Ford still uses toyota's hybrid system.

FWIW, Ford has never used Toyota's hybrid system.  Just that they patented some of the layout first.  They bought some licences from Ford, too.

infinitenexus
infinitenexus Dork
6/8/21 2:02 p.m.

Ford has been making some great moves lately.  I think their electric F150 will usher in a lot of new EV users, and now this.  It's no wonder their share price is up 32% in the past month.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/8/21 2:04 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to infinitenexus :

Dodge design criteria demands hemi at the outset. 

After a year or two, it gets hellcat!

So, charger based hellcat powered ute. Sign me the berkeley up right now. 

Shhhh... Smyth.

In reply to Appleseed :

Why do you hate my marriage and retirement accounts?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/8/21 2:08 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) :

The only people whose know where the edge is are those who have gone over.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UltimaDork
6/8/21 2:11 p.m.

Front wheel drive, smallish unibody pickup? It's not the second coming of the Ranchero...

It's the second coming of the Rampage!

I sent the link to one of my younger coworkers - mid 30s, very frugal, currently in the market for his first house, soon to be married, currently drives a well-used Prius but loves my F150.  Can't conceive of paying $50k for a vehicle or driving anything that gets less than 30mpg.

He loves it but is concerned about the long term reliability of Ford's hybrid system vs others. I thought that was an interestig take. 

In reply to Appleseed :

Im going to be going down the rabbit hole of smyth now...

Wonder what kinda damage on a charger would be perfect?

But, maverick gets good mpg. Just no blower....

Tough decision! (With money i won't spend, but fun to bench race)

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 31

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fFAHUk4OdPfbCKpKbwQ7NbQ5nlmVy1fEonuLXLj4YeivwZhxiQn4LEWNZxzYIhUk