Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) Dork
6/8/21 2:17 p.m.
yupididit said:
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) said:
yupididit said:
Brett_Murphy said:

They can't make it a two door with a longer bed, or I suspect it would be the weapon of choice for lots of people instead of bigger trucks.

As it is, I think it's going to eat into those sales quite a bit.

If I could get one with a bed long enough for my dirt bike and space behind the seats for a couple of dogs I would be interested. If I could get the same ecoboost I have in my Mustang and enough towing capacity to tow my Miata to the track, I would probably be on my way to the dealer right now. The four doors is not a deal breaker as much as the tiny bed is. Pickups are for hauling and towing stuff. 

Have you looked at the supercab Rangers? Sounds like thats your sweet spot. 

I'm not really buying anything in this overpriced car market. I just sold two. 

Maybe in a couple of years when the sales come back. 

"I would probably be on my way to the dealer right now"

Maybe I read this as you'd buy if you found the perfect truck.

Nobody is making the perfect truck for me. 

STM317
STM317 UberDork
6/8/21 2:31 p.m.
ultraclyde said:

I sent the link to one of my younger coworkers - mid 30s, very frugal, currently in the market for his first house, soon to be married, currently drives a well-used Prius but loves my F150.  Can't conceive of paying $50k for a vehicle or driving anything that gets less than 30mpg.

He loves it but is concerned about the long term reliability of Ford's hybrid system vs others. I thought that was an interestig take. 

Ford and Toyota have been more or less sharing a hybrid transmission in all of their hybrids for 15 years now. They have pretty outstanding reliability. I'd guess that this hybrid is similar (probably why the hybrid is fwd only).

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/8/21 2:40 p.m.
yupididit said:
yupididit said:
Brett_Murphy said:

They can't make it a two door with a longer bed, or I suspect it would be the weapon of choice for lots of people instead of bigger trucks.

If I could get one with a bed long enough for my dirt bike and space behind the seats for a couple of dogs I would be interested. If I could get the same ecoboost I have in my Mustang and enough towing capacity to tow my Miata to the track, I would probably be on my way to the dealer right now. The four doors is not a deal breaker as much as the tiny bed is. Pickups are for hauling and towing stuff. 

The Ranger Super Cab looks to be good for you unless you have some other unobtanium requirements right now lol

6/8/21 2:47 p.m.
yupididit said:
yupididit said:
yupididit said:
Brett_Murphy said:

The Ranger Super Cab looks to be good for you unless you have some other unobtanium requirements right now lol

That's a big, tall $35,000 truck. What I want is a longbed, two door Maverick in the $20,000 range. Cheap. No options. What I really want is a longbed mini pickup. Datsun and Toyota made them in the 70s. 

stanger_mussle
stanger_mussle GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/8/21 2:49 p.m.

I totally forgot the Maverick was debuting today. I'm impressed that the base powerplant is the hybrid. But, you are stuck with the CVT. For another $1080, you can get the wonderful 2.0l Ecoboost which comes with a traditional 8 speed auto. Tow capacity also doubles to 4000lbs.

My build would be a Maverick XL, 2.0l, FWD in Velocity Blue with the 4k tow package. It comes to about $23,320 which is very reasonable. It's all the truck I would ever need.

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
6/8/21 2:50 p.m.

I had my ‘96 1500 Silverado Ext Cab for 17 years.  I really miss having something I can throw stuff into the back of and haul, because the Camaro can’t do that.  While I can still sleep in the Camaro with the back seat down, it’s not as comfortable at the Daytona 24hr as that truck was either.  I’ve been looking (not seriously) at used trucks lately.  As much as I’m a Chevy guy, the Maverick checks a lot of boxes for me.

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
6/8/21 2:53 p.m.

Can I talk about the elephant in the room everyone is hinting at but not saying?

Ford is trying to cut the "overloaded" demand on f150's at the same time easing their "environmental impact" on greenhouse gas emissions... IMO.

Basically, more mpgs good. Looks don't care. Cars not sell. Flood market. Profit anyways.

Overall, it's a meh from me. 

infinitenexus
infinitenexus Dork
6/8/21 3:03 p.m.
stanger_mussle said:

I totally forgot the Maverick was debuting today. I'm impressed that the base powerplant is the hybrid. But, you are stuck with the CVT. For another $1080, you can get the wonderful 2.0l Ecoboost which comes with a traditional 8 speed auto. Tow capacity also doubles to 4000lbs.

My build would be a Maverick XL, 2.0l, FWD in Velocity Blue with the 4k tow package. It comes to about $23,320 which is very reasonable. It's all the truck I would ever need.

I built the same one, but AWD and with a sunroof.  I'm honestly hard pressed to think of realistic situations where I would need more truck than that.  Once they start coming off lease I plan on looking for one.  

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
6/8/21 3:06 p.m.

In reply to Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) :

Trucks went from utilitarian vehicles to luxo barges because people would pay up.  It's sad, but that's the market now.  My wife loves my Colorado Z71 too, and she's hardcore city.  I grew up in West TX and you needed a truck just to do your daily work and survive the roads.  I spent a lot of time on unpaved roads growing up.  So you can still get a truck.... but you get to pay for a lot of extras you really don't need.  That said, I've gotten pretty spoiled by seat and hand heaters on cold days.  I don't need to put a jacket on to go drive my truck even when it's below freezing.  I can just hop in it in jeans and a T shirt and be real cozy quite quickly. 

I was pretty interested in the Maverick as a potential commuter for my next job (if all the paperwork goes through), but since the highway mileage is worse on the hybrid and the 2.0 ecoboost is going to be high 20s, I may be less interested. 

New York Nick
New York Nick GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/8/21 3:08 p.m.

You can't argue with the price. I really wanted the ridge line for most of the reasons this would work for me. I ended up with a CRV simply on price versus the Ridge Line. This gives a nice option with a bed for light duty suburban "truck" work cheaper than even the small CUV lines. I can't wait to go see one in person. Impressive fuel mileage too. 

infinitenexus
infinitenexus Dork
6/8/21 3:11 p.m.

Also the 2.0 ecoboost is essentially the same motor in the Mustang and Ranger, right?  Except for a difference in displacement (2.3L).  If so, then there should be a healthy aftermarket, and the stock 250hp and 277lb-ft will turn into 350+ pretty quickly.

I also just noticed it has 2 400 watt 110V outlets.  Throw a tent in the back and this thing'll be absolutely fantastic.  The more I read about this, the more I want one (even though the front end is kinda ugly and I hate the brown interior of the higher models.)

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
6/8/21 3:12 p.m.

The base model hybrid is very appealing to me.  The only option I would want is the bed extender.

6/8/21 3:15 p.m.
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:

Trucks went from utilitarian vehicles to luxo barges because people would pay up.  It's sad, but that's the market now.  My wife loves my Colorado Z71 too, and she's hardcore city.  I grew up in West TX and you needed a truck just to do your daily work and survive the roads.  I spent a lot of time on unpaved roads growing up.  So you can still get a truck.... but you get to pay for a lot of extras you really don't need.  That said, I've gotten pretty spoiled by seat and hand heaters on cold days.  I don't need to put a jacket on to go drive my truck even when it's below freezing.  I can just hop in it in jeans and a T shirt and be real cozy quite quickly. 

I was pretty interested in the Maverick as a potential commuter for my next job (if all the paperwork goes through), but since the highway mileage is worse on the hybrid and the 2.0 ecoboost is going to be high 20s, I may be less interested. 

Even if they can't haul dirt bikes, if they can sell a cheap version for around $20,000 they will sell every one they can build. It's been a long time since anything like that has been sold. If they push the price up to $30,000 with options and accessories, maybe not so much. 

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UltimaDork
6/8/21 3:16 p.m.
infinitenexus said:

I also just noticed it has 2 400 watt 110V outlets.  Throw a tent in the back and this thing'll be absolutely fantastic.  The more I read about this, the more I want one (even though the front end is kinda ugly and I hate the brown interior of the higher models.)

I saw a blurb somewhere that it has pre-wired 12v power drops behind the tail lights specifically for DIY adding stuff like fridges, etc. Kind of a cool idea.

So...if it's based on the Bronco Sport chassis - could you face swap the Bronco bits on for a different look? Inquiring minds want to know...

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/8/21 3:34 p.m.

I don't think that they will sell them for $20K. That's just too much stuff at that price point. Add $5k and it starts making sense for Ford. 

6/8/21 3:38 p.m.
Kreb (Forum Supporter) said:

I don't think that they will sell them for $20K. That's just too much stuff at that price point. Add $5k and it starts making sense for Ford. 

What other pickups are at that price point? The really need to overturn the chicken tax and let the foreign manufacturers compete. 

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/8/21 3:44 p.m.

its the cheapest hybrid on the market now. That alone will likely sell a bunch.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
6/8/21 3:47 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:

I was wondering Vs the Ranger

Here https://www.motor1.com/news/512510/2022-ford-maverick-size-ranger-f150/

Edit: 

It's closer to what a full size truck should be.  The length of my 1966 F-100 is within a few inches of the new 'tiny' Maverick, and it has an 8 foot bed.

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
6/8/21 3:47 p.m.

In reply to MrChaos :

Any decent sales guy will tell you that you can move a million widgets if you blow away your competitors price. But as a capitalist, you're not there to sell widgets as much as you're there to make money. So what's the point of undercutting the market? They're talking about sliding under the Koreans by five grand, for crying out loud! 

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones HalfDork
6/8/21 3:48 p.m.

I think he means good luck finding one that's actually $20k. 

6/8/21 3:50 p.m.

Hyundai and Kia are more than happy to keep the cheaper markets while the US manufacturers go big. Guess who survives when the economy crashes or just when all the baby boomers go to the nursing homes and stop buying the big expensive stuff? 

6/8/21 3:53 p.m.

In reply to MrChaos :

Any decent sales guy will tell you that you can move a million widgets if you blow away your competitors price. But as a capitalist, you're not there to sell widgets as much as you're there to make money. So what's the point of undercutting the market? The'yre talking about undercutting the Koreans by five grand, for crying out loud! 

What they really need to do is let the Chinese into the market. I'm sure they could sell a hybrid pickup for less than 20K. 

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
6/8/21 3:55 p.m.

Are they kept out of the market?

6/8/21 4:06 p.m.

The Chinese are coming. 

STM317
STM317 UberDork
6/8/21 4:08 p.m.
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:

Even if they can't haul dirt bikes, if they can sell a cheap version for around $20,000 they will sell every one they can build. It's been a long time since anything like that has been sold. If they push the price up to $30,000 with options and accessories, maybe not so much. 

How long is your dirt bike? The bed is 6ft with the tailgate down. That basically gives 4x6ft of flat space. If my quick math is correct, it should measure about 7.2ft (86") diagonally. And really, all you need is for the rear tire to sit on the tailgate. Any additional length from bodywork or exhaust could hang over and be fine. Your bike isn't over 8ft long is it?

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 31

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7zWQt3evSEupjE63v75N9i3MVf0QwSn5uXVyOfP1LIAg6FRfxuUFl8TeG6HTwGIj