6/8/21 4:16 p.m.

In reply to stuart in mn :

Yes.

Thank you.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/8/21 4:22 p.m.
Ranger50 said:

Can I talk about the elephant in the room everyone is hinting at but not saying?

Ford is trying to cut the "overloaded" demand on f150's at the same time easing their "environmental impact" on greenhouse gas emissions... IMO.

Basically, more mpgs good. Looks don't care. Cars not sell. Flood market. Profit anyways.

Overall, it's a meh from me. 

I'm not really understanding this post.  It seems like you're critical of Ford for adding something to their product line that they hope sells as well as the F150s.  Do you not think they should concern themselves with meetin CAFE requirements?  Should they not be trying to capture the entry level pickup market?  Should they not try and make money?

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
6/8/21 4:25 p.m.

In reply to STM317 :

58" wheelbase. Half the rim diameter, so 10.5" and 9.5", tire sidewall height roughly 2.5 and 3-3.5"....

I'm right at 84-84.5".

Lots of people don't want the dirt spray against the tailgate with it down.

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
6/8/21 4:36 p.m.

In reply to APEowner :

I only believe they are building it to meet those standards and suck off some of those people who would be buying something similar.

The entry level "mini" truck market died years ago when the profit margin was becoming increasingly meager and financing became easier to get. Not to mention you can't order it how you want anymore. Dealers only get so many buying slots, which keeps decreasing, and is why you see them with every option possible selling for 71k....

I foresee the ranger going away and staying in the foreign markets.. It was nothing but a stopgap move for this to be produced. Again JMO.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/8/21 4:38 p.m.

I love the idea.  I sent it to my wife and she is interested as our next do everything vehicle.  

In my pile of wishes the only thing I wish is that the hybrid could have AWD.  I wonder if the aftermarket could develop an electric AWD?

As to all of you clamoring for a long bed 2 door, it's unibody.  I'm betting the rear cab wall can be removed with a sawzal.  Make a fiberglass insert and rear door set that give you a pair of under bed trays and hooks to hang cords or haul ~40" items vertically in the space behind where the windows would be.  If you truly want a full length bed I'm sure the roof could be cut back and a sloped bar bolted on to restore the structure while giving an open bed.

STM317
STM317 UberDork
6/8/21 4:46 p.m.
Ranger50 said:

In reply to STM317 :

58" wheelbase. Half the rim diameter, so 10.5" and 9.5", tire sidewall height roughly 2.5 and 3-3.5"....

I'm right at 84-84.5".

Lots of people don't want the dirt spray against the tailgate with it down.

So wrap the tailgate with a sheet or towel under your bike straps? Put a clear bra on it? Use a small trailer? Plenty of ways that this truck could work for that application if a person wanted it to. A big reason that trucks like this left the market is that nobody wanted to compromise in anyway. Everybody wanted massive cab space, and to be able to haul all kinds of things inside a huge bed.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/8/21 4:54 p.m.

It's a crew cab first-gen Taco, size-wise. They sure get used.

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) Dork
6/8/21 4:56 p.m.
nocones said:

I love the idea.  I sent it to my wife and she is interested as our next do everything vehicle.  

In my pile of wishes the only thing I wish is that the hybrid could have AWD.  I wonder if the aftermarket could develop an electric AWD?

As to all of you clamoring for a long bed 2 door, it's unibody.  I'm betting the rear cab wall can be removed with a sawzal.  Make a fiberglass insert and rear door set that give you a pair of under bed trays and hooks to hang cords or haul ~40" items vertically in the space behind where the windows would be.  If you truly want a full length bed I'm sure the roof could be cut back and a sloped bar bolted on to restore the structure while giving an open bed.

Or I could just keep my old truck running and not have to re-invent the wheel. 

AaronT
AaronT Reader
6/8/21 5:03 p.m.

A vocal minority on the internet love to talk about the esoteric options that would totally make them buy a vehicle*

*used, 5years later.

it's entirely pointless to try to point out anything that might fit their use case because they'll add on some new feature ad nauseam. It's better to not engage. 

A couple of pages back there was mention of tonneau covers. Ford has three options already, including a roll up and a tri-fold.

Rotaryracer
Rotaryracer Reader
6/8/21 5:22 p.m.
infinitenexus said:

Also the 2.0 ecoboost is essentially the same motor in the Mustang and Ranger, right?  Except for a difference in displacement (2.3L).  If so, then there should be a healthy aftermarket, and the stock 250hp and 277lb-ft will turn into 350+ pretty quickly.

I didn't think I'd be interested in this.  Turns out I was wrong.  An EcoBoosted AWD and throw the FX4 package in there would make a pretty nice TSD rally trucklet.  Seems like the aftermarket has been flashing the Escape 2.0 EB and Focus ST for some time now, so I'm thinking they may be pretty quick on the draw to grab more boooooost.  Not sure what 350+ would take, but I was seeing around +43hp and +50 ft/lbs from Vivid Racing on an Edge 2.0, and +55hp and +32 ft/lbs on the 2013-2019 Escape.

Need to read more specs...any curb weight given for this "compact" truck?

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/8/21 5:22 p.m.

I think a specifically engineered motorcycle rack for the back would eliminate a significant percent of concerns about the Maverick being "enough truck".

I know you can get motorcycle racks that slot into the trailer hitch receiver but receivers aren't designed to carry much torque so I consider them to be pretty sketchy....just design it with two mounting points and you'd be golden.

FWIW, I don't think the grill is bad looking...overall, I'd say the design is somewhat bland but as someone has already said, that may not be a bad thing given the ridiculous, over the top stuff that others are making.

I really like the bronze interior but it'd drive me nuts if I didn't get an earth tone exterior color to match which isn't available...probably intentional to drive people up into the XLT trim level.

My question, does Ford have a proven track record with CVT's?

If not, there's no way I'd consider the base 2.5L...I'd go straight to the 2.0L eco boost so I could get a proper, proven transmission.

We had a second gen Explorer for 16 years and it really earned our respect...we've had a third gen Explorer for 5 years and it has diminished Ford's standing with us (stupid internal water pump that cost $1,500 to replace, infotainment system that Ford couldn't fix despite three trips to the shop - come on) so we're not gone but we wouldn't jump in with doing our homework.   

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
6/8/21 5:29 p.m.
RX Reven' said:

With hybrids, yes.  They license the toyota patents, so its similar to the prius design (at least it is in Fusion/Escape/etc.).  Twin electric motors driving a planetary gearset.

STM317
STM317 UberDork
6/8/21 5:30 p.m.
Rotaryracer said:

Need to read more specs...any curb weight given for this "compact" truck?

C&D is saying 3700lbs for Ecoboost/AWD

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/8/21 5:32 p.m.
RX Reven' said:

If not, there's no way I'd consider the base 2.5L...I'd go straight to the 2.0L eco boost so I could get a proper, proven transmission.

Two generations of Fusion/Milan/Lincoln MKZ were available as hybrid/cvt.  In the later MKZ, the hybrid and the 2.0L turbo had the same msrp.  A lot of MKZs are hybrid.  The Ford C-Max wagon was only available as hybrid.    As someone mentioned earlier, the Ford Hybrid is somehow of a Prius lisenced product which is and always has been cvt.  

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/8/21 5:34 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

It's a crew cab first-gen Taco, size-wise. They sure get used.

I'm pretty sure a clean, low mile 4x4 TRD costs really close to a brand new Maverick too, haha.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/8/21 5:36 p.m.

Also, color me intrigued for an AWD one with more boost and some flares. Could be a pretty sweet runabout.

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
6/8/21 5:36 p.m.

In reply to STM317 :

A lot of them got "salesmanned" into something else and found that was too much but this is America...

6/8/21 5:47 p.m.
AaronT said:

A vocal minority on the internet love to talk about the esoteric options that would totally make them buy a vehicle*

*used, 5years later.

it's entirely pointless to try to point out anything that might fit their use case because they'll add on some new feature ad nauseam. It's better to not engage. 

A couple of pages back there was mention of tonneau covers. Ford has three options already, including a roll up and a tri-fold.

In the last five years my household bought a new ecoboost Mustang and a new Honda CRV. To my dismay, neither one would haul the dirt bike. If I could get a new Toyota Hylux here I would probably get one of those too.

Flynlow (FS)
Flynlow (FS) Dork
6/8/21 6:26 p.m.

I am happy it exists.  It's not the vehicle for me, but wow Ford is knocking it out of the park with interiors, quirky options (400W A/C, DC prewiring for camping, the custom bed boxes, etc.), and a range of models.

I really hope that they sell a million of them, and the OEMs realize not everyone is in the market for a $70,000 vehicle, regardless of whether they can finance it or not.  If this leads to a bunch of interesting vehicles returning to the $20,000-35,000 range, I think that will be a great win for people under 40 tired of getting kicked in the teeth financially. 

6/8/21 6:45 p.m.
Flynlow (FS) said:

I am happy it exists.  It's not the vehicle for me, but wow Ford is knocking it out of the park with interiors, quirky options (400W A/C, DC prewiring for camping, etc.), and a range of models.

I really hope that they sell a million of them, and the OEMs realize not everyone is in the market for a $70,000 vehicle, regardless of whether they can finance it or not.  If this leads to a bunch of interesting vehicles returning to the $20,000-35,000 range, I think that will be a great win for people under 40 tired of getting kicked in the teeth financially. 

In the next few years you are going to have a whole bunch of people who will be having second thoughts about spending so much money to get the highest bid on that house and even more facing increasing rents. You will also have more free spending baby boomers going into nursing homes where they will never buy another $70,000 car. More people will be shopping for pickups in the $20,000 range. 

Driven5
Driven5 UltraDork
6/8/21 6:56 p.m.

TIL that 'real' truck stuff people complain about bed size so much because they're afraid of getting their tailgate dirty.

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
6/8/21 7:06 p.m.

I’ll likely be facing the dilemma of dailying a ‘13 Fusion we’ve had since new or trading it on something newer when the current company vehicle needs a major repair. (16’ Escape with 88K)  I’m guessing I have a year, maybe two.    The company has a decent monthly allowance plus a gas card, something like the Maverick checks a bunch of boxes for me.  Professional appearance without being too fancy, car like ride and handling, heated seats, etc. and under 28K if I can stick with the hybrid / no AWD.   As mentioned previously there will likely be more room for negotiation once the initial novelty wears off and things return to a little more of whatever normal will be.  I’m interested. 

No Time
No Time SuperDork
6/8/21 7:08 p.m.

In reply to Driven5 :

I didn't think it was possible for the rear wheels to hit the open tailgate directly with dirt or rocks due to overhang and rear bumper. 

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/8/21 7:13 p.m.

So it's like a AWD prius with a bed?

Flippin' sweet!

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
6/8/21 7:17 p.m.
CrustyRedXpress said:

So it's like a AWD prius with a bed?

Flippin' sweet!

No AWD Hybrid.