1 2 3
J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
8/1/24 6:00 a.m.

If the name’s any indication, the Ford Maverick Lobo might be a wolf in sheep’s clothing. Sure, it looks like a sportier version of the pickup truck, but Ford wants you to know you can also do sporty things with it. Specifically, its engineering team designed it with autocross and drifting in mind.

Say what?

The Lobo was inspired by …

Read the rest of the story

secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/1/24 6:13 a.m.

So they started with the heaviest & most expensive model. Touché Ford.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver MegaDork
8/1/24 6:38 a.m.

And if I'm reading that right, made a model for autocross that is too skinny/tall to be legal for autocross. 

Oh well, still like mine for towing my lightweight car.

CrashDummy
CrashDummy Reader
8/1/24 6:42 a.m.

We demand a stick shift! 

J.A. Ackley
8/1/24 8:34 a.m.

Some food for thoughts:

Ford stressed how they believe this is more of a platform for doing fun things rather than an end-all step. They expect some customization by its customers.

Height vs. width:

"(And for those wondering about the Lobo’s dimensions for autocross, it measures 67.7 inches at its tallest, with a track width 63.1 inches at its narrowest.)"

I suspect you could get this truck even lower and wider.

Weight

2025 Ford Mustang GT: 3947 pounds
2025 Ford Maverick Lobo: 3731 pounds

Wheelbase

Tesla Model 3: 113.2 inches
2025 Ford Maverick Lobo: 121.1 inches
The Maverick is a long vehicle. No covering that up.

Chris Tropea
Chris Tropea Associate Editor
8/1/24 9:18 a.m.

I am very excited for this truck, sounds like it could be a good mix of fun and practical for those of us who want a fun car and a truck and only have one car. 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/1/24 9:19 a.m.

This is very much different than the Maverick news I saw yesterday of the AWD getting the hybrid system. 

I'll call it cool, just for being a bit different. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/1/24 9:35 a.m.

I guess the height vs width is an issue the engineers couldn't fix on a production vehicle. 

I don't see how that can be resolved with just a tire swap, so lowering springs are needed to be legal for events using SCCA rules.  They won't be in any street classes. 

No Time
No Time UberDork
8/1/24 10:00 a.m.

Is the height vs width issue something that would be skirted if Ford was able to work with SCCA to get it classed? 

If I understand correctly, the height/width is used for vehicles that are not specifically listed in any of the classes. 

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/1/24 10:01 a.m.

Well it does seem that they took their task pretty seriously and didn't just throw on a graphics package. Now if they could just throw on some flares and widen the track another 4 inches....

I can only speak for where I live, but I'm not really seeing the sport crowd embrace the Maverick. The two main demographics I see driving them are for work and oldsters who want some utility, but don't like the hassle of a full sized truck in an urban area. Here, the Taco rules the mid-size enthusioast market.

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/1/24 10:20 a.m.

Does this come in a RWD layout?  If not, that'll be pretty tough to "drift".

edit: torque vectoring changes used in a FWD-based AWD system.   This sounds like asking for expensive stuff to break.  I'm not really feeling it.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Publisher
8/1/24 10:20 a.m.

I don't get it, but I'm glad it exists. 

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/1/24 10:23 a.m.

The concept is great and its mostly a parts bin job which is fine. The trick diff, wheels, and some trim parts seem like the only "special" items, yet the price is pushed up into Mustang territory well out of reach of most interested people.  It will sell in lowish numbers after the initial buzz and be gone in 2-3 years for lack of sales. Sad. 

J.A. Ackley
8/1/24 10:36 a.m.

In reply to Lof8 - Andy :

It's AWD drive, but Lobo mode apparently permits it to drift, with torque vectoring helping one drift it.

dps214
dps214 SuperDork
8/1/24 10:47 a.m.
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) said:

The concept is great and its mostly a parts bin job which is fine. The trick diff, wheels, and some trim parts seem like the only "special" items, yet the price is pushed up into Mustang territory well out of reach of most interested people.  It will sell in lowish numbers after the initial buzz and be gone in 2-3 years for lack of sales. Sad.

I don't exactly understand the choice to start with the lariat model but if I'm understanding correctly the price is basically unchanged from that which seems pretty impressive. I don't know if you've been to an autocross lately but they're usually full of newer mustangs and camaros (and miatas and BRZs that are only a few grand cheaper). >$30k is just what it costs to get a performance vehicle these days. Now...does anyone actually want *this* performance vehicle? We'll see. I'd guess initial sales will be good, long term seems like more of an unknown.

The LSD is interesting. Torque vectoring on the rear of an awd platform isn't exactly a new concept. I wouldn't expect too much in the way of reliability issues but there's a lot of opportunity to miss on the tuning of it. I'll be curious to see how it works out in the real world.

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/1/24 10:51 a.m.

Interesting that the SEMA truck was made by Tucci Hot Rods. That place is just a few miles from me, well maybe 10 but it's been a big part of the local scene for a long time. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/1/24 11:12 a.m.

I don't need it, but I like it. If they had upped the HP it would really be interesting. Although I don't think we will be getting rid of the Mazda 3 anytime soon. 

ScottyB
ScottyB HalfDork
8/1/24 11:27 a.m.

in light of the obvious cool move of giving us a manual behind the 2.3T, i kinda wish they just put a 10R autobox behind the 2.0 instead of the dual clutch.  i don't think ford has EVER got one of those transmissions right, but the torque converted ones seem to be tanks.

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/1/24 11:52 a.m.

I love the idea of a truck that handles, I love the Maverick, it's in my price bracket, and it ticks all my boxes. My question is, how much tire can you stuff under it? If I can go to the autocross and swap on some 335's all the way around (and it were legal)  I would be all over it. 

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/1/24 12:08 p.m.
RevRico said:

This is very much different than the Maverick news I saw yesterday of the AWD getting the hybrid system. 

I'll call it cool, just for being a bit different. 

AWD hybrid is something I was hoping would happen soon

Driven5
Driven5 PowerDork
8/1/24 12:36 p.m.

It seems like a neat truck that its creators are over-selling a bit.

Fun enthusiast street truck? Yep. Autox and drift inspired handling? That too. Sanctioned event use on 200TW (or stickier) tires without the same significant suspension modifications that would be required for any other Maverick to be allowed? Nope.

DavyZ
DavyZ Reader
8/1/24 1:30 p.m.

I do like this truck and I think it would suit me just fine.  It checks a number of boxes for me and I would be interested in one.  An F-150 is just too big for what I need, and this one fits the bill very well.  I'm OK with the turbo 4 cyl even though a V8 from the Mustang would be preferable.  The Tucci truck is baller... (do people still say that?)

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/1/24 1:33 p.m.
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) said:

I love the idea of a truck that handles, I love the Maverick, it's in my price bracket, and it ticks all my boxes. My question is, how much tire can you stuff under it? If I can go to the autocross and swap on some 335's all the way around (and it were legal)  I would be all over it. 

Ping Terry Fair at Vorshlag. For a while he was running his Maverick lowered on an MCS setup with wider wheels. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/1/24 1:56 p.m.

This seems like it could bite you if you got a little out of shape in the cones.

If you get into a drift condition, once it sees enough slip and countersteering, it will recognize, ‘Okay, I’ve gone from driving an autocross to drifting.’ Instead of trying to correct you based on your steering wheel angle, it will keep overdriving you into that drift.

But I do like the fact that this is a parts bin special. Focus ST brakes on their smallest truck? That's cool. Faster steering rack? They get it. Turbo? There's some potential there for sure.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
8/1/24 2:10 p.m.

I love what they tried to do. I have no idea why a vehicle designed specifically with autocross in mind would be illegal for autocross.

Ford isn't thinking clearly. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6W10Fgoe02Ss4zLbjV8Lfio4Ra1PKWqMsmdLhFEFvRE85QN1fnLnIGLN2q0AIX4V