1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 ... 65
kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
5/27/24 12:06 a.m.

In reply to johndej :

No,the guy that came from nothing with a dad working multiple jobs to fund his karting is a better story but most hate on him for being successfull ;)

Remind me again if there was any armco Charles didn't hit there a couple yrs ago.

Coniglio Rampante
Coniglio Rampante Reader
5/28/24 9:47 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

In reply to maschinenbau :

Unless the cars are the size of a Miata, I don't think it'll help. It's been terrible for a long time. 

Agreed.

When F1 cars have a similar "footprint" as a large SUV, there's a problem with F1 cars.  Adding to that, a street race in an old city and it's little more than an expensive parade.

I've found the race boring in the modern era, but this is the first time I switched to the side of "this venue sucks for F1."

With everyone in tire management mode, everyone including a usual hard-charger like Max, were just resigned to turning laps in formation.

I forgot what year it was, but I recall Senna leading by almost a minute and still trying to bury the competition.  And yes, he hit the armco just before the tunnel.  That was a mistake he wouldn't have made if he would have chosen to just "pootle around" but his take no prisoners approach at least made the race worth watching.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/28/24 9:55 a.m.
Coniglio Rampante said:
Keith Tanner said:

Unless the cars are the size of a Miata, I don't think it'll help. It's been terrible for a long time. 

Agreed.

When F1 cars have a similar "footprint" as a large SUV, there's a problem with F1 cars.  Adding to that, a street race in an old city and it's little more than an expensive parade.

I've found the race boring in the modern era, but this is the first time I switched to the side of "this venue sucks for F1."

With everyone in tire management mode, everyone including a usual hard-charger like Max, were just resigned to turning laps in formation.

I forgot what year it was, but I recall Senna leading by almost a minute and still trying to bury the competition.  And yes, he hit the armco just before the tunnel.  That was a mistake he wouldn't have made if he would have chosen to just "pootle around" but his take no prisoners approach at least made the race worth watching.

I believe he hit the wall when he started backing off actually.  He walked off the course and straight to his apartment. 

Found an article talking about it:

http://en.espn.co.uk/onthisday/motorsport/story/2365.html

Coniglio Rampante
Coniglio Rampante Reader
5/28/24 10:09 a.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

Thanks for the extra info/reminder.  It was so long ago now.  Still, he at least made the race worth watching.  Can't say the same for the modern/current era.

wae
wae UltimaDork
5/28/24 10:16 a.m.

I fell asleep somewhere around lap 20 or so and woke up with about 5 laps to go and didn't bother to rewind it because it was obvious I hadn't missed anything.  The most exciting part - other than the Perez/Kmag flustercluck - was the tire coming off of Lance's car.  I don't remember when that was, but I think I may have woken up a bit in the middle of race and seen that before going back to my nap.

johndej
johndej UltraDork
5/28/24 10:52 a.m.

In reply to kevlarcorolla :

I've got no problem with Hamilton winning, will be interesting to see them both at Ferrari next year. 

I just think that throughout it's entire history, F1 has been dominated by rich playboi participation. Charles is nothing new and I don't mind some excitement after finally winning his home race after 7 years trying. I don't know which year he wrecked most, maybe 2019 where he was on pole then crashed so bad the car broke again the next day. Even Senna smashed the wall there while running 50 seconds in the lead with 11 laps to go.

Of current drivers, Ocon, Hamilton, Bottas, Gasly, and Alonzo are probably the few that really didn't really come from wealthy or multi generation racing families.

CrashDummy
CrashDummy Reader
5/28/24 12:06 p.m.

Since it's probably worth keeping Monaco just for the history I'd like to see the "3 stops minimum" rule that has been floated by some of the drivers. I think that could spice things up a bit, even if the passes wouldn't be on-track. The red flag elliminating all pit strategy really hurt the racing this year. 

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
5/28/24 12:38 p.m.

In reply to johndej :

Like Nascar where the same last names keep coming along decades after their famous grandfather/father/uncle raced etc most F1 drivers seem to have very close ties with old F1 families.

Makes one wonder if they'd have ever made the grid without those connections.

Not a Leclec fan,too whiney(even by F1 standards)and makes far too many mistakes still.

Monaco is brilliant to watch F1 as a time attack but hopefully it ends next when the contract runs out.

I don't see any changes that will change how it plays out,maybe tires that last 15 laps max and mandate a min of 3 stops.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/28/24 12:46 p.m.
kevlarcorolla said:

In reply to johndej :

No,the guy that came from nothing with a dad working multiple jobs to fund his karting is a better story but most hate on him for being successfull ;)

Remind me again if there was any armco Charles didn't hit there a couple yrs ago.

Leclercs family wasn't wealthy until he was successful in f1.  His mother was / is a hairdresser.  His father died while Charles was still in F2.

The only reason he was able to fund his racing was because Jules Bianchi (Rip) helped him get noticed by the Ferrari academy.

He for sure had the help of people within the sport, but it wasn't like he grew up rich.

batchman
batchman None
5/28/24 1:42 p.m.

That parade did have me on the edge of my seat, in a better way than the I500 crash-fest.

A mouse playing chess with a herd of cats.  Would have liked to see any of second-through-fourth challenge or pressure-to-error, but remarkably none of thm put a foot wrong.

I bet RBR is looking at Checo with an eye toward "you could have lost a place instead of the race".  Magnusson gonna Magnusson, but I think Checo surely mis-judged how much steam was behind him.  Yuki is looking readier than ever for a shot at that seat, wish I could say the same for RIC.

Cheers,

- Jeff

MiniDave
MiniDave HalfDork
5/28/24 2:22 p.m.

I understand Checo got his contract extended......

Coniglio Rampante
Coniglio Rampante Reader
5/28/24 2:26 p.m.

Checo coming from Racing Point seemed like a logical choice for Red Bull; he just seemed to get points at every race in a lesser car than the best.

His time at Red Bull, though not a total waste, seems to find him struggling to be near the same zip code as Max on too many occasions of qualifying and race.  
Odd how that works out, and he's certainly not the first by any means.  Some cars seem to fit the style of drivers better than others.  But still...the RB has been so good the last few years I'd have hoped Checo would have shown a bit more on a consistent basis.

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
5/28/24 3:02 p.m.

In reply to MiniDave :

Right now Checo is like Valteri was at Mercedes.  Fast enough to be a loyal wingman for max constructors points (if he doesn't bin the car), not so fast that there's internescine warfare for the #1 driver spot in the paddock like Senna/Prost or Hamilton/Rosberg.  It's logical for RB to keep Checo right now and when his time is up then elevate Yuki or Lawson from CashAppVisaRedwhatever the junior team is now. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
5/28/24 3:30 p.m.
kevlarcorolla said:

In reply to Tom1200 :

Yeah,so a guy born to the wealthiest place on the planet winning his home race is kinda the opposite of a fairy tale ending for me.

Not sure what wealth has to do with anything but it's been 93 years since a Monegasque won there.

He comes from a racing family..........even the marshals were in tears.

I thought it all very wonderful; icing on the cake is the Ferrari mechanics belting out the Italian National Anthem.

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
5/28/24 3:31 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
Tom1200 said:
Keith Tanner said:

We'll add Monaco spec wings.............they'll be the same size as the ones run at Indy.

No wings front or rear. And they have to run on inters for low grip and short life. 

I like this idea very much......

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
5/28/24 5:24 p.m.

In reply to Tom1200 :

Not suprised given they have 1 race a yr,a very small population even today and only 20 people in the world get a crack at it.

I'm happy that other people are happy for him,he won the most boring race ever...well done young man lol.

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/28/24 5:38 p.m.

I have a friend who used to be a pro photographer on the F1 beat. He loves the sport and routinely hosts watch parties for 30 or 40 people. After last weekend he facebooked his friends that after watching Monaco and Indy he's decided that at this point Indycar is a good deal more entertaining. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
5/28/24 7:12 p.m.

In reply to kevlarcorolla :

I did say in my first post the race was booooooooring.

For the record there have been far more boring races than this one.

Perez's short lived race was far from boring.

wae
wae UltimaDork
5/28/24 7:30 p.m.

Two interesting news items today...  First MBS has changed his tune and now says that he thinks Andretti should just buy another team.

Next, Stewart-Hass Racing is shutting down and getting out of NASCAR.

I wonder if Gene has had enough with pissing his money away on race cars.

jmabarone
jmabarone HalfDork
5/29/24 6:11 a.m.
wae said:

Two interesting news items today...  First MBS has changed his tune and now says that he thinks Andretti should just buy another team.

Next, Stewart-Hass Racing is shutting down and getting out of NASCAR.

I wonder if Gene has had enough with pissing his money away on race cars.

From what I have read/heard about SHR, the shut down was more a Gene decision.  Maybe deciding to get serious about the 2026 car?  

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
5/29/24 9:15 a.m.

Esteban Ocon speaks of F1’s ‘dark side’ as Alpine threaten axe for Canada GP  Mick or Jack D would likely be the replacement if this rumor is true. Ocon is in a tough spot, Kimi A. and George are the the future at Mercedes, hard to imagine that anyone wants to be his teammatte. I can't imagine HAAS or Audi/Sauber want to deal with his drama. Williams could be a spot for him but I can't imagine that Ocon wants to be second fiddle to Alex.

Sonic
Sonic UberDork
5/29/24 9:39 a.m.

He's made his own bed on this through the years.  The move at Monaco was stupid.  When nobody likes working with you, unless you are winning races, then they only put up with you for so long when there is lots of talent waiting in the wings that brings just as much if not more to the organization as a whole.  

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/29/24 10:23 a.m.
Sonic said:

He's made his own bed on this through the years.  The move at Monaco was stupid.  When nobody likes working with you, unless you are winning races, then they only put up with you for so long when there is lots of talent waiting in the wings that brings just as much if not more to the organization as a whole.  

Yeah, you can get away with being an shiny happy person if the results are there. For Ocon... not so much.

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/29/24 12:12 p.m.
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) said:
Sonic said:

Yeah, you can get away with being an shiny happy person if the results are there. For Ocon... not so much.

*The two moves he made at Monaco were stupid, he stuck his nose in earlier in the lap and they made contact there too. I guess if you first don't succeed try again? 

x.com/Manore_02/status/1795097870669934783

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/29/24 1:40 p.m.

In reply to adam525i :

agree with all three of the above

1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 ... 65

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hwJSnHyCUOPxoVkPzW0pDxNINuTPIqLh3WxmZI5e20WV7IiFCKDWsvnYVhyTyHI1