1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 ... 62
06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
6/6/24 2:11 p.m.
kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
6/6/24 6:05 p.m.

In reply to 06HHR (Forum Supporter) :

Not really anyplace for him to go next yr other then Williams,I think they will make a big leap next yr.

'26 is a complete crapshoot anyways so...

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/7/24 7:57 a.m.
kevlarcorolla said:

Not really anyplace for him to go next yr other then Williams,I think they will make a big leap next yr.

'26 is a complete crapshoot anyways so...

Didn't Albon resign with Williams because of the new Merc engines for next year? I thought it was a little odd because some races the Williams have great straight line speed but either the chassis or the talent aren't making the car get results. Maybe I'm missing something else. Either way Albon/Sainz duo would be a good move for Williams at least to guarantee two good chances for points instead of one guaranteed DFL 

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
6/7/24 8:54 a.m.

I don't understand that move for Sainz, Williams can barely field a car, I can't imagine they can pay a decent salary compared to what Audi is offering. Williams and Audi I am sure are investing more in 26 then 25 so they are both likely to be at the bottom. Plus Carlos Sr. the past 3 years has driven for Audi, so you would think there must be some cross pollination in the Motorsports division. Hulk I think is a decent teammate and defiantly does well on the qualifying and development front. It's amazing that Carlos is not setting the market here when he is driving his tail off at times better then Charles.

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
6/7/24 9:14 a.m.

In reply to trigun7469 :

Well, Carlos says all this signing speculation is just that.. So either the tabloids are right and he didn't want it out yet or they are wrong.. https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/sainz-laughs-rumours-2025-contract-signed/10620308/

johndej
johndej UltraDork
6/7/24 9:17 a.m.

Alpine giving Jack some more miles,"Jack Doohan will make his first FP1 appearance of the season for Alpine at this weekend’s Canadian Grand Prix, replacing Esteban Ocon"

MiniDave
MiniDave HalfDork
6/7/24 9:32 a.m.

Well, I think the real move for Carlos would be to Aston - but two things stand in his way.....Stroll the lesser and Fernando who must be #1.

Carlos' dad wants him to go to Audi, but I don't think he wants to run around at the back of the pack for two or more years while they get up to speed - if they ever do. I don't actually see a good move for him anymore, where he would be the team's #1 driver - which is what he wants I'm sure.

Isn't Carlos senior driving for Ford next year? And isn't Red Bull going to have Ford branded engines?

If Andretti were to buy Haas or Williams or even Alpine, we would have Ford, Cadillac, Honda, Mercedes, Audi and possibly Renault engines in F1 (I know - except we wouldn't really - at least not at first)

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
6/7/24 10:49 a.m.

In reply to MiniDave :

Funny you mention Aston,in a recent interview Lance didn't give the impression of being very committed going forward.

Maybe he's ready to move onto being a professional trust funder and Lawrence can get on with trying to win the championship he's certainly committed too. 

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
6/7/24 10:54 a.m.

In reply to trigun7469 :

I have more faith in Williams making improvements given recent investments/management changes etc then Audi coming out of the blocks ready.

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
6/7/24 11:00 a.m.

In reply to kevlarcorolla :

But does he want to drive Albon's car? he clearly would be number 1 at Audi.

wae
wae UltimaDork
6/7/24 1:33 p.m.

The one time I remember to turn on Free Practice in time and pit exit is closed because of the standing water on the track!

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
6/7/24 2:28 p.m.

In reply to trigun7469 :

No body has a crystal ball to know how any team is really going to be.

If the choice is Alpine or Williams vs sitting next season out and hoping Audi is worth a damn I'm taking Williams.

Your only #1 in a team if your reliably the quickest....who's actually quicker Sainz or Albon?

Dunno but it would be fun to see.

markvince
markvince New Reader
6/7/24 2:57 p.m.

In reply to kevlarcorolla :

If they have Sainz in their team next season, we may see them giving good competition to Ferrari and McLaren but only after some significant improvements in their car.

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/7/24 3:03 p.m.

Williams is on their back foot now but they are putting a lot of pieces together. I can see them making the top of the midfield for next year. I noticed in the upgrade disclosures for this week that they upgraded their front and rear suspension. It seems like they are really trying to claw their way out. I hope they do, having 2 good drivers would help a lot. 

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
6/8/24 1:37 p.m.

Lewis puts down a flyer in FP3.  3 tenths quicker than the field on the soft tire.  Verstappen 2nd and Russell 3rd, is this real pace for the Mercedes squad?  We'll know soon enough.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
6/8/24 1:44 p.m.

In reply to NY Nick :

Even though they are not as quick every once in a while, I would put them more on an even step. Progress is there, even if the peak speed isn't. 

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/8/24 2:02 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

Don't get me wrong. I'm saying think they are on a good path and it's the best spot for him based on the current situation. 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) MegaDork
6/8/24 5:09 p.m.

A tie for pole..........interesting start tomorrow.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
6/8/24 5:15 p.m.

So, then, is the Merc speed real  or due to the cold, damp track?

Ferrari should have put new tires on...

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
6/8/24 5:56 p.m.

Finally an interesting quali :).

Hard to say who's more aggressive George or Max so it has some 1st corner fireworks potencial :)

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/8/24 7:50 p.m.

Sainz's slide was slow through the final corner but I couldn't help but see Gilles in his Ferrari as he did it.

MiniDave
MiniDave HalfDork
6/9/24 2:15 p.m.

How about DannyRickyBobby in 5th!!!

It's going to rain for the race, I'm almost sure - just based on the radar images you can get off the Weather channel  - could turn out to be the most fun race we've seen this year!

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/9/24 3:52 p.m.

In reply to MiniDave :

And it turned out to be. Easily the best race in a few seasons.

George needs to clean up his driving. He could have won it today. Mistakes killed him. Overall really fun to watch. 

gixxeropa
gixxeropa GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/9/24 3:58 p.m.

I only got to watch maybe 2/3rds due to f1 tv app going down constantly. But why did they put Lewis on hards and George on mediums under the safety car? If I were more conspiracy minded...

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/9/24 3:59 p.m.

In reply to gixxeropa :

Lewis was out of mediums. 

That pass by Albon! Amazing. 

1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 ... 62

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
U0U35CANW7qWtgnI7Vi2QqAfsY7rD2P11S92exUqUI7GaK85zvpiz8FgPgIliVKi