1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 ... 60
wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/21/24 10:49 a.m.

Man, that was an interesting race.  Not so much for the passing, but for all the drama!

Well done Oscar!  Well done Lando.  Well done Lewis.

I liked how max was bitching about people racing him how he races people.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/21/24 10:51 a.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

Max has the same attitude as my 7 year nephew. Everything I do is fair, everything done to me is unfair. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
7/21/24 10:54 a.m.

No question RB screwed the pooch today with tire strategy.  Max was absolutely the 3rd place car today.

If I were Max, I'd be pissed, too.  But, it sure didn't help his race for him to get that angry.  Overall, a poorly managed race from Red Bull and McLaren. 

And, well done from Merc.  Lewis gets 200th podium on strategy, and George one stops his way to points.  Or did he?  I was kinda watching the front, for some reason.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/21/24 10:56 a.m.

Even despite strategy, which I don't think was that bad for him, Max was on track of 3rd place. All he had to do was pass cleanly...LOL

wvumtnbkr
7/21/24 10:56 a.m.

I would argue that is was very well managed from mclaren.  The only debate was which of their cars was going to win.

At the time, pitting Lando early was ideal due to the possibility of an undercut from others.

The only issue was that the undercut was VERY strong.  

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
7/21/24 10:58 a.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

There was zero risk of undercut.  They had several seconds in hand.

wvumtnbkr
7/21/24 11:14 a.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

There was zero risk of undercut.  They had several seconds in hand.

You are correct.  For some reason I was thinking max was closer than he was.  Max was 7 seconds back when Lando pitted.

The weird thing to me was that they waited an extra lap to pit piastri.

If I was mclaren I wouldn't be too upset about the outcome.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/21/24 11:21 a.m.

I suspect McLaren is very happy. The drivers, less so. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/21/24 11:28 a.m.

So max was under investigation for causing a collision. What came of that?  5 seconds would have mattered a lot.

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/21/24 11:29 a.m.
alfadriver said:

So max was under investigation for causing a collision. What came of that?  5 seconds would have mattered a lot.

I think he was summoned to the stewards after the race, I guess to tell them to berkeley off to their face lol

wvumtnbkr
7/21/24 12:48 p.m.

Max said in an interview after the race that basically it was Hamilton fault for turning into the corner.

Lol wut?  Apparently max expects everyone to just get out of his way.

That being said, im curious who was ahead at the apex.  I dont exactly remember the positioning.

Edit:  max was ahead before the apex, but the incident happened right before the apex.  I've watched it a few times and I'm not sure max had any options once he was committed to the overtake.

Lewis could have avoided the collision, but then that would be just like letting max by.

I would like to see the rules clarified regarding passing and moving under braking.

flyin_viata
flyin_viata GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/21/24 12:53 p.m.

"He's just dive bombing me, that's now how you overtake." - Max Verstappen, Austria 2024

gixxeropa
gixxeropa GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/21/24 1:12 p.m.

Typical frustrated Max move. " you let me by or we both crash." I like how his engineer called him childish on the radio immediately after.

Impressive strategy from McLaren to have a 1-2 and still piss off both drivers. There was no call for Lando to be rude to Lewis after the race, though, when he was just trying to give him a complement.

wvumtnbkr
7/21/24 2:53 p.m.

Max and Lewis incident determined to be a racing incident.

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
7/21/24 3:00 p.m.

Verstappen behaving like a petulant child when things don't go his way???

I was completely shocked by this. LOL

It was an interesting race.

johndej
johndej UltraDork
7/21/24 4:07 p.m.

Yeah Lewis thought it should be racing incident. Oscar thankfull he's not at Alpine right now.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/21/24 5:01 p.m.

Going to watch the replay now, as I "watched" on my phone at Thunder Over Michigan.  Should be fun to see more of what I heard.

But it was fun to see max get yelled at by his own team.  Hope Toto was listening- maybe he can get max for cheap.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/21/24 5:18 p.m.

Funny how they thought lando had a great start. It sucked compared to everyone down to Hamilton. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/21/24 7:04 p.m.
maschinenbau said:

Even despite strategy, which I don't think was that bad for him, Max was on track of 3rd place. All he had to do was pass cleanly...LOL

I think this is important.  RBR set Max up to be the fastest car at the end, certainly 3rd, possibly (stretch) 2nd.  But he whined about it so much, complaining that he had to pass cars on the track.  If he just focused on the matter at hand, he would have easily finished 3rd.  Too bad he stayed up late virtual racing and was pretty cranky for the important race.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/21/24 7:05 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

No question RB screwed the pooch today with tire strategy.  Max was absolutely the 3rd place car today.

If I were Max, I'd be pissed, too.  But, it sure didn't help his race for him to get that angry.  Overall, a poorly managed race from Red Bull and McLaren. 

And, well done from Merc.  Lewis gets 200th podium on strategy, and George one stops his way to points.  Or did he?  I was kinda watching the front, for some reason.

I may have quoted the wrong post- but I didn't go back far enough.  RBR didn't screw the pooch, they set up Max to have the fastest car at the end, by a really strong margin.  It was up to him to pass cars to finish 3rd and perhaps 2nd.  

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/21/24 7:08 p.m.
maschinenbau said:

I wouldn't give the place back if I were Norris. It's unnecessary risk for the team to lose that time buffer. Not his fault they berkeleyed up the stop order.

That would screw the team as a team.  It was at this track where Fernando blew the team up in 2008 by being a jerk.  Yea, the team made a tactical mistake, but don't take it out on your teammate.  

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
7/21/24 7:09 p.m.

Max is still Max.  I thought Lewis raced him very well.

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
7/21/24 7:29 p.m.

In reply to Jim Pettengill :

I used to get really irritated at Verstappen's driving; now I tend to laugh becuase as of late he tends to screw himself. 

Advan046
Advan046 UberDork
7/21/24 7:39 p.m.
maschinenbau said:

Max screwed up his chance to take 3rd but even then he seemed to have other performance issues then decided to just try and crash out with a dive bomb. The stewards ruled that Hamilton did not move under braking but did turn in to make the corner expecting Max to be turning as well. Lewis maintained his view that it was just a racing incident this helping Max avoid a penalty. 

McLaren were just a little faster than everyone and it seems on first watch that Ferrari excelled on strategy to get the best points they could. 

MB and RBR were probably very equal (maybe RBR was slightly faster at times) given how Perez and Russell were moving up the field. 

Advan046
Advan046 UberDork
7/21/24 7:41 p.m.
Tom1200 said:

In reply to Jim Pettengill :

I used to get really irritated at Verstappen's driving; now I tend to laugh becuase as of late he tends to screw himself. 

Exactly he would screw over others in the past but now his screw ups are allowing others to finally start closing the points gap. 

1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 ... 60

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wQrrRM9moS0g15pCOOAl92dwwRuTIB9r5U91En81C5vD0I9tMMzAB306vF7kfli3