1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 ... 66
Advan046
Advan046 UberDork
7/21/24 7:47 p.m.

I give Lando respect for not being that guy. It would be a dramatic change at McLaren. Vettel I think never let on he was a team guy before multi21. I am sure Lando will be referred back to when Piastri was asked to give up or hold behind Lando in the past so this was a fair and square team coordinated give and take.

Now it would have been better for Piastri and Norris to have seen what Russell and Hamilton did to protect their 1-2 in the Silverstone start. It seemed clear to me that Hamilton made no effort to pass Russell and they both positioned themselves to prevent either to be overtaken. Maybe Lando just didn't make a good enough start to make that teamwork possible. 

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/21/24 8:52 p.m.

In reply to Advan046 :

I thought the start was odd. You are 1-2 on the start. I thought they would have a plan to fight off Max instead of racing each other. 

CrashDummy
CrashDummy Reader
7/21/24 9:08 p.m.

Seemed to me that if Lando had given the spot back to Oscar more quickly he would have had the pace and the time to pass him back for the win. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/21/24 9:15 p.m.
NY Nick said:

In reply to Advan046 :

I thought the start was odd. You are 1-2 on the start. I thought they would have a plan to fight off Max instead of racing each other. 

Lando got a really bad start, again.  Had he gotten a good start, he would have been a car length ahead of Oscar in the corner.  But he didn't, and Piastri, Lewis, AND Max were close enough to cause problems.  

Advan046
Advan046 UberDork
7/21/24 9:31 p.m.

It did seem like both McLarens were slower starters than the 2nd and 3rd rows. Verstoppen was basically nose to nose at turn 1 and Lewis just didn't find a gap to stick his nose in as well. 

Maybe if the McLarens both went left at the start Ver would have been down the inside with Lewis. wink

And....Tsunoda!!!! Points again. On a 1 stop strategy!!!!! It was hard for me to understand how he got there as I think the commentary accidentally confused him with Ricciardo once. I know Yuki doesn't speak well to media but damn I think he is the right choice IF Perez is moved on. 

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
7/21/24 10:44 p.m.

I don't root for a team typically but please please please can Mclaren take the championship from RB and hopefully Lando can catch Max steal it from the man child.

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
7/21/24 11:34 p.m.
kevlarcorolla said:

I don't root for a team typically but please please please can Mclaren take the championship from RB and hopefully Lando can catch Max steal it from the man child.

I confess to having this same semtiment.

markvince
markvince New Reader
7/22/24 5:05 a.m.

There are feel good races and feel bad races. This Hungarian GP was the pinnacle of a feel bad race.

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/22/24 6:15 a.m.
Advan046 said:

And....Tsunoda!!!! Points again. On a 1 stop strategy!!!!! It was hard for me to understand how he got there as I think the commentary accidentally confused him with Ricciardo once. I know Yuki doesn't speak well to media but damn I think he is the right choice IF Perez is moved on. 

You would take Yuki over Carlos?

jmabarone
jmabarone HalfDork
7/22/24 6:28 a.m.

That was entertaining, but not for the racing on track.  Max driving like Max of old...could make it interesting as the season goes on.  Red Bull knows how to build a strong car though.  

Feel bad for Oscar in all this.  He earned the win, McLaren screwed up and put him behind Lando.  I understand Lando's point (I'm closest to Max, I need the most points) but now Oscar's first win is tainted because his team "gave" it to him.  

But hey, Checo only finished 2 places behind Max!

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
7/22/24 8:21 a.m.

McLaren screwed this up,  but at the end of the day Norris now has the uno card for reversal. To be fair Norris is 76 points away from max, so it's not close it's just everyone not max isn't very consistent track to track. 

I am not a huge fan of the Max v.s. Hamilton battles, as Hamilton just annoyes and baits max with the double moves. Probably a overblown story with the cool down room of Hamilton poking Norris about pulling over and Norris firing back. Hamilton is no doubt a legend and has the stats but his lack of maturity continues to show, he is almost 40 years old and has been in F1 for 17 years. I am hoping Max's growth from immaturity turns into a Kimi I don't care, I think when he moves away from RB and his Dad stays away from the track that perhaps a Vettel or Alonso like maturity might happen. 

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
7/22/24 8:29 a.m.

In reply to trigun7469 :

Alonso maturity???

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
7/22/24 9:20 a.m.

In reply to kevlarcorolla :

For Alonso yes, he hasn't attacked anyone on his team and the AM has been terrible, never once did he call it a F2 car (yet) laugh  I think his indycar stint humbled him somewhat more so after not making the indy 500 the one year.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
7/22/24 10:01 a.m.

In reply to trigun7469 :

Guess we're hearing different radio messages then.

Cheers

MiniDave
MiniDave HalfDork
7/22/24 11:37 a.m.

I'm wondering if the Hamster is rethinking his Ferrari move now that the MBZ is faster every weekend lately?

Advan046
Advan046 UberDork
7/22/24 2:25 p.m.

In reply to crankwalk (Forum Supporter) :

For the RBR seat yes I would take Tsunoda. But not only based on driver talent.

Sainz escaped the Red Bull machinery and I don't think it a good idea for him to try and reconnect. I would say the same about Albon or Bottas. Not the right team for them.  I did think Sainz should go to MB or with Audi. Is Sainz a great F1 driver right now? Definitely. Is Tsunoda equal or better? We won't know until he gets a chance. And Tsunoda is already in RBR family. 

Advan046
Advan046 UberDork
7/22/24 2:46 p.m.
trigun7469 said:

.........I am not a huge fan of the Max v.s. Hamilton battles, as Hamilton just annoyes and baits max with the double moves. Probably a overblown story with the cool down room of Hamilton poking Norris about pulling over and Norris firing back. Hamilton is no doubt a legend and has the stats but his lack of maturity continues to show, he is almost 40 years old and has been in F1 for 17 years. I am hoping Max's growth from immaturity turns into a Kimi I don't care, I think when he moves away from RB and his Dad stays away from the track that perhaps a Vettel or Alonso like maturity might happen. 

Not sure of the pulling over comment from Hamilton to Norris. When did that happen? Norris was salty walking in and Hamilton noted Lando tossing the hat first thing and decided to say something nice to him. But Norris took it wrong as sarcasm which I think was a misunderstanding. Both Max and Lewis tri d to cheer up Lando in Silverstone cool down. But like when Lewis pointed out to Max in Brazil many years ago that letting Ocon unlap himself would have meant Max would have won. Lewis pointed out to Norris that hey the Medium would have been faster, right? Lewis was probably a bit confused why they went soft and trying to get Intel 

I do think Hamilton and Verstappen have an oil and water driving style pairing they can fight well but often clash. This time the stewards actually noted that they agreed with Hamilton that Verstappen didn't turn in and that Hamilton started his turn in as usual and new he needed to in order to defend. Just not expecting the RBR to lockup and go straight into him. They also agreed with Hamilton that it was a racing incident. 

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
7/23/24 8:54 a.m.
alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/23/24 9:15 a.m.

In reply to 06HHR (Forum Supporter) :

At least they did manage to win two championships over the last 45 years.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/23/24 9:27 a.m.

Some braking info regarding this weekend’s event from Brembo:

The last Grand Prix before the summer break represents a crucial moment for Formula 1, giving drivers and team members the opportunity to recharge their batteries before the second half of the season. The Belgian GP, a historic race in the world championship since 1950, has only had one interruption in 2006 due to the renovation work on the famous Spa-Francorchamps circuit. One of its most iconic features is the Eau Rouge, named after the river that crosses it. Contrary to what the name suggests, it is not the water which is red, but the stones on the riverbed, that became red because of the deposited iron oxide.

The GP Data 

According to the technical analysis of the Brembo team, the Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps, extending for 7,004 meters, falls into the category of tracks with high stress on braking systems. Rated with a difficulty index of 4 on a scale from 1 to 5, the circuit has five braking zones categorized as 'Hard', each characterized by decelerations exceeding 4 g. Additionally, three of these braking zones require brake usage for over 2.8 seconds and stopping distances extending for at least 120 meters.

•          Brembo Identity Card - PDF format: Brembo - Formula 1 - archive

•          Hardest Braking Point video-.mp4 format: https://we.tl/t-wljl7P8Rwc

•          Hardest Braking Point YT link: https://youtu.be/fAlhtJlst-w?si=QgGgGJgQAi6dUTjh

•          Web news link: https://www.brembo.com/en/company/news/2024-formula1-spa-gp-brembo-brakes

The Toughest Turn 

Turn number 5 of the Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps represents the ultimate challenge for the braking system of the cars. Approaching this turn, the cars reach a speed of 320 km/h along the Kemmel straight and must reduce their speed to 167 km/h in just 1.62 seconds, covering 99 meters. During this maneuver, drivers are subjected to a maximum deceleration of 4.5 g and must exert a force of 135 kg on the brake pedal. The braking power generated in this process is 2,401 kW, a testament to the exceptional energy absorption capacity of Brembo components.

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/23/24 10:01 a.m.
06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
7/23/24 10:32 a.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

Renault actually got 4 as an engine supplier to RB back in the teens (2010-13) with Vettel's 4 championships.  Their hybrid-era engines have been total dogs though, Mercedes would not have been as dominant in the turbo-hybrid era if the Renault engine had been close to competitive on power.  How far the once mighty have fallen...  

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/24/24 5:00 p.m.

Just saw some news from Sky F1 that Max is going to take a 10 grid penalty for a powertrain swap.

Recall that he won twice doing the same thing.  

This isn't directed at RBR, specifically, but this is such a massive loophole for the engine rules, it's not even funny.  Every team has a track where it's happy to take penalties to get an extra engine system- and sometimes, the penalty is meaningless.  The grid penalties were originally made when the systems were pretty unreliable, and under the previous rules, cars were constantly starting at the rear.  That hasn't been a problem for a while now, so can we get back to penalties that result in it being REALLY hard to win when taken?  Otherwise, the engine limit rules are pretty pointless.

Advan046
Advan046 UberDork
7/24/24 5:25 p.m.

What if you had to "pay" for new power train parts with Constructors points....surprise

Edit maybe limit it to any team over 10 points. 

Below 10 points they have to pay with % aero time off their cap. 

jmabarone
jmabarone HalfDork
7/25/24 6:19 a.m.

Did they give the teams an additional engine this year because of the longer schedule?  

I agree with constructor points coming off for additional engines.  

1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 ... 66

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dFjx0UFgn9fqz4H0OIwi3DMleDsYk2ONNatgHx3CWS7f3r7gks3tgrXxCiazY5YS