1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 ... 66
CrashDummy
CrashDummy Reader
7/25/24 6:41 a.m.

I thought the limit on power train parts was a cost cutting rule. I don't understand why those rules still exist in the cost cap era. 

DrMikeCSI
DrMikeCSI Reader
7/25/24 6:43 a.m.

In reply to 06HHR (Forum Supporter) :

What is the point of a Mercedes engine in an Alpine? 
It doesn't seem very good for the marketing of French excellence. 

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
7/25/24 8:58 a.m.

In reply to DrMikeCSI :

IMO, Renault is looking for a way to unload the F1 team without losing face.  The rebrand to Alpine, the selling of shares in the team to celebrities, bringing back Flavio Briatore and now this, it's all a way of unwinding the team from papa Renault.  Eventually it will be sold or transferred to someone else (probably not Andretti though, the FIA has a beef with Michael and Mario for some reason),

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/25/24 9:21 a.m.
jmabarone said:

Did they give the teams an additional engine this year because of the longer schedule?  

I agree with constructor points coming off for additional engines.  

They may have, but apparently they are still taking a 10 place grid penalty for changing it too much.

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/25/24 9:27 a.m.
DrMikeCSI said:

In reply to 06HHR (Forum Supporter) :

What is the point of a Mercedes engine in an Alpine? 
It doesn't seem very good for the marketing of French excellence. 

I don't Formula 1 has worked liked that for a very long time. Whatever combo has the best chance of winning. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/25/24 9:37 a.m.

Sky F1 is reporting that Estabon Ocon has signed with Haas.  Hope he works well with Beerman.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
7/25/24 12:07 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

Thats wishfull thinking lol.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/25/24 12:15 p.m.
06HHR (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to DrMikeCSI :

IMO, Renault is looking for a way to unload the F1 team without losing face.  The rebrand to Alpine, the selling of shares in the team to celebrities, bringing back Flavio Briatore and now this, it's all a way of unwinding the team from papa Renault.  Eventually it will be sold or transferred to someone else (probably not Andretti though, the FIA has a beef with Michael and Mario for some reason),

Just to clarify, it's not the FIA.  The FIA actually were on board with them joining.

FOM did not want an 11th team due to profit sharing.

Buying a team is actually the easy way in and the FIA don't care and FOM would be more likely to allow them in.

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
7/25/24 12:23 p.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

Thanks for that, i can't keep the officious parties straight. 

gixxeropa
gixxeropa GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/25/24 1:00 p.m.

Got an Instagram ad for Andretti Cadillac F1. Interesting that they're already advertising 

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
7/25/24 1:53 p.m.

Seems like big trouble behind the scenes for the upcoming Audi takeover.

Probably why Sainz is staying clear

MiniDave
MiniDave HalfDork
7/25/24 1:58 p.m.

For Al Peen to get Mercedes engines, wouldn't another team have to lose them? Oh wait, Aston is going to Honda engines, I forgot.....so they would be re-branded as Alpein motors, by Mercedes?  smiley

I've been saying all along that Alpee-ing should just sell their team to Andretti and let them get on with losing millions of dollars......

MiniDave
MiniDave HalfDork
7/25/24 2:01 p.m.

In reply to kevlarcorolla :

I do wonder what's going on with Audi - I'm a big Audi racing fan, from way back in the days of Michelle Mouton and her Quattro rallye cars and Hans Stuck driving the big Audi in IMSA - so I was excited to see them take on this new venture. 

But I thought Andreas was THE GUY when it came to getting a new team up and running and winning......

I don't know if hiring Bi-motto is  a plus or minus for Sainz, since he worked with him at Ferrari. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/25/24 2:44 p.m.

In reply to MiniDave :

The Race suggested that it had to do with the downturn in performance this season.  But at the same time VW has been wishy-washy about committing to F1 for decades.  No idea why F1 is so keen on getting them.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
7/25/24 3:25 p.m.

In reply to MiniDave :

Sounds like he and the other boss(can't think of his name at the moment) have been butting heads so they kicked both to the curb and brought in Binotto to replace both in the short term at least.

Also keeping Zhou because they need his money,that doesn't sound good either considering they are still well over a yr before turning a wheel with real cars.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
7/25/24 3:27 p.m.

Part of me is hoping nobody handed Max a snickers and he remains a grumpy douch :)

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
7/25/24 3:56 p.m.
kevlarcorolla said:

Part of me is hoping nobody handed Max a snickers and he remains a grumpy douch :)

I have to shameless admit that when he came on the radio having a tantrum I pointed at the TV and laughed like the kid from the Simpsons.

I've gone from finding it annoying to chuckling about it, not that it's funny, just that I find it absurd.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
7/25/24 4:08 p.m.

In reply to Tom1200 :

Nobody drives at their best hungry or pissy lol.

Advan046
Advan046 UberDork
7/25/24 11:36 p.m.

Favorite track. Usually iffy races. Hopefully this time Spa will give a good race. 

Crazy predictions

Albon pole due to rain and timing of red flag for Perez crashing. 

Lewis/Russell 1/2

Lando 3rd

Verstappen DNF after collision with Ocon at the start. devil

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
7/26/24 8:32 a.m.

P1 sounds like Max got some sleep and a jumbo snickers...damn it :)

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/26/24 11:46 a.m.

P2 appears that at least McLaren is fast enough to make it hard for Max to pass them.   We need to have a really long DRS train to hold the RBR's back for a really long time for that engine penalty to actually matter.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
7/26/24 1:28 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

We can hope be gets boxed in but Max has been super strong on the initial start all season....he could get a few on the run to the turn 1 hair pin and with that huge paved run off he'll try and get the rest lol.

Coniglio Rampante
Coniglio Rampante Reader
7/26/24 2:37 p.m.

In reply to DrMikeCSI :

I wonder if they've realized it's simply cheaper to have an uncompetitive team in the WEC than to have an uncompetitive team in both F1 and the WEC. ;-)

Coniglio Rampante
Coniglio Rampante Reader
7/26/24 2:49 p.m.
MiniDave said:

I do wonder what's going on with Audi - I'm a big Audi racing fan, from way back in the days of Michelle Mouton and her Quattro rallye cars and Hans Stuck driving the big Audi in IMSA - so I was excited to see them take on this new venture. 

But I thought Andreas was THE GUY when it came to getting a new team up and running and winning......

I don't know if hiring Bi-motto is  a plus or minus for Sainz, since he worked with him at Ferrari. 

Seriously.  Who thought the architect of "Charles/Carlos, go to Plan C ... or LMNOP for that matter...whatever you think is best because, frankly, we're stumped at this end!"

Under Arrivebene and Binotto, Ferrari was a strong contender to the win the award for "rarely has a team done so little with so much."

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
7/26/24 4:33 p.m.
Coniglio Rampante said:

In reply to DrMikeCSI :

I wonder if they've realized it's simply cheaper to have an uncompetitive team in the WEC than to have an uncompetitive team in both F1 and the WEC. ;-)

I swear my computer is bugged.. https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/renault-f1-team-near-inevitable-sale-explained/

1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 ... 66

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ENaLI0weKqACvMUsePFhyECUZwpAarbxCCucHZJe9o2C4PD4dxMeHk2F5hHhNU77