1 ... 60 61 62
Region_Rat
Region_Rat New Reader
9/17/24 1:01 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

Two days later and I'm still trying to figure that out...

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/17/24 1:17 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

Ah, gotcha.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/17/24 1:29 p.m.

Another reason why open wheels are a bad idea. Not only are they aerodynamic nightmares, they turn a light touch into an instant race-ending crash.

All race cars should look like LMPs.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
9/17/24 3:56 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

For that crash, the outcome would have been the same, just a few feet earlier. They didn't jump when they ran into each other- the different momentum forced the Ferrari across the Red Bull. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
9/17/24 4:02 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Another reason why open wheels are a bad idea. Not only are they aerodynamic nightmares, they turn a light touch into an instant race-ending crash.

No, they shouldn't. 

Whether it's a Bugatti T35 or Lancia D50 or Lotus 49 or more modern cars, there is just something so purposeful looking about open wheel cars....................I don't care if they don't work as well.

On a serious note; covering the wheels doesn't seem to slow down touring car antics.  What we had was two guys not giving each other enough room to race. 

Keith Tanner
9/17/24 5:50 p.m.
alfadriver said:

For that crash, the outcome would have been the same, just a few feet earlier. They didn't jump when they ran into each other- the different momentum forced the Ferrari across the Red Bull. 

I dunno, looked to me like the contact was tread to tread from the replays I saw on Sunday. That's always going to be more energetic. At least nobody got launched which was a real possibility.

The only reason to have open wheel cars is a misplaced sense of nostalgia. We've had full body Grand Prix cars in the past, so even the nostalgia is misplaced. The most beautiful historic racing cars in the world have fenders. Every F1 designer would jump at the chance to cover those wheels. These are supposed to be the most advanced race cars in the world, but they cling to an ineffective body style that makes the cars slower and the racing worse and more dangerous.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/17/24 6:26 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

That very fragility means that open wheel cars demand a precision that closed-body cars do not.  It's a different sport, and people who are good at one are not always good at the other.

Why race motorcycles?  The fastest motorcycle racing series in the world (motogp) isn't just slower than F1 -- it's slower than the F2 feeder series.  In fact, in the tracks I can find lap time comparisons for, it's actually slower than Formula 3.

LMP cars are cool, but they aren't the be-all, end-all of racing.

johndej
johndej UltraDork
9/17/24 7:01 p.m.

In reply to codrus (Forum Supporter) :

Bringing in moto gp is apples to oranges, might as well ask why mustangs win air races. In order to be the fastest most technological advanced series, open wheels are holding back F1. Also both them and LMP are too damn big, but that's on me.

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
9/17/24 7:04 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

The only reason to have open wheel cars is a misplaced sense of nostalgia. 

Nostalgia is never misplaced..................you take that back.

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
9/17/24 7:11 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

The most beautiful historic racing cars in the world have fenders. 

Not............

Keith Tanner
9/17/24 7:17 p.m.

This thing won three of the four F1 races it entered. Look at those curves.

I'm not gonna start posting pictures of gorgeous closed wheel racing cars, but it sure is tempting :)

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
9/17/24 7:57 p.m.

If it were tire to tire, one of the two cars would have gone up really fast.  That's the physics you are so concerned about.  So it was either tire to floor, or it was face to face on the tires- and both of those are common in closed wheel racing.

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
9/17/24 8:21 p.m.

I like big buts I cannot lie...........that Merecedes is gorgeous.

I am so fickle.

JimS
JimS Reader
9/18/24 2:13 a.m.

It would be great to have closed wheel cars that look like that Merc but what we get are  ugly  closed cockpit prototypes. Of course we also have ugly open-wheel Indy cars. 

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/18/24 6:27 a.m.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Dork
9/18/24 3:08 p.m.
johndej said:

In reply to codrus (Forum Supporter) :

Bringing in moto gp is apples to oranges, might as well ask why mustangs win air races. In order to be the fastest most technological advanced series, open wheels are holding back F1. Also both them and LMP are too damn big, but that's on me.

open wheels are holding back F1 -  there are hundreds of pages in the rule book with things holding F1 back from being faster. Min weights, no active aero or suspension.  Back to MotoGP. those look like A$$ with the aero rules, and F1 used to have tons of little winglets on the cars. Imagine how ugly a LMP with dozens of little wings all over it would look.

Iusedtobefast
Iusedtobefast Reader
9/18/24 7:07 p.m.

In reply to Tom1200 :

Whenever I think about what a race car looks like, those are the first cars that pop into my head. Just gorgeous...

1 ... 60 61 62

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
H6A48ND7CEKun1ULlAzkvuW0PnSeYAFBEeUbc7bS8fL8SVrLAw6eFPd0BSMsJCLR