1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 62
etifosi
etifosi SuperDork
2/2/24 4:47 a.m.

Carlos is pretty underrated, his last win showed a level of determination and grasp of strategy that my beloved Crimson dumpster-fire of a team sadly has not been able to match. Sainz and Russell would be an outstanding duo of fierce and feisty drivers, I bet Carlos would win with MB before either F-car pilot steals a win from Ferrari's pitwall. 

I've grown to appreciate Ham and welcome him to the stable, he has passion. I hope Leclerc stops channeling the luck of Chris Amon. I stopped hoping for Ferrari to regain their organizational glory because they can't. 

JesseWolfe
JesseWolfe Reader
2/2/24 5:47 a.m.
codrus (Forum Supporter) said: As for wacky-off-the-wall, how about Mick Schumacher?

Mick has a full time ride with Alpine in the WEC, but is still a Mercedes reserve driver.  It might depend on how much success Mick has with Alpine in the WEC, and if he enjoys himself there.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
2/2/24 8:46 a.m.
JimS said:

#8 wasn't stolen and he shouldn't have had #1. 

And they think Lewis fans are delusional...lol.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/2/24 12:19 p.m.
JimS said:

#8 wasn't stolen and he shouldn't have had #1. 

The rules were tossed out the window mid-race in order to provide a more dramatic race and season finish that only could have ended one way given the condition of the cars. It was clear what was going to happen and what the race director and FIA had been working towards. Dunno what else you want to call that.

No comment on #1, I wasn't following F1 too closely at the time.

I hope Carlos gets a good seat, I think he's got the chops to take advantage.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/2/24 12:22 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Blame for Massa losing that one can be laid squarely at the feat of Ferrari's pit crew.

etifosi
etifosi SuperDork
2/2/24 12:49 p.m.
codrus (Forum Supporter) said:
Keith Tanner said:

Blame for Massa losing that one can be laid squarely at the feat of Ferrari's pit crew.

Ferrari should pay ME to switch teams! My love for them has brought them nothing but grief .cool

(The Cleveland browns also might want to release me)

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
2/2/24 12:55 p.m.

But for one wet pit in, one more blown engine than Nico, and one controversial officiating call, Lewis is a 10 timer.

Now...  if he puts on the red jammies and wins WDC, has anyone else won with three different teams?  Nobody jumps to mind, and the list of 3 timers is pretty short.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/2/24 12:59 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

Now...  if he puts on the red jammies and wins WDC, has anyone else won with three different teams?  Nobody jumps to mind, and the list of 3 timers is pretty short.

I think Fangio won with 4 different teams?  Things were a bit different in the 50s though.

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
2/2/24 1:14 p.m.

More big news

Keith Tanner
2/2/24 1:24 p.m.
codrus (Forum Supporter) said:
Streetwiseguy said:

I think Fangio won with 4 different teams?  Things were a bit different in the 50s though.

According to the F1 website, Fangio is the only person to have won the WDC with more than two teams. And looking at the records, there were only 8 races a year at the time. Fangio was changing teams almost every year. Definitely a different era.

Looking through that list, the WDC with the least wins is Nico's daddy, with one win out of 16 races and only 44% of the possible points to win the championship. Jim Clark locked up the championship after winning the first 7 races of a 10 race season, taking 100% of the possible points. There were still 30% of the races still to run, which would be like Max wrapping up 2024 in Monza on Sept 1st.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Formula_One_World_Drivers%27_Champions

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
2/2/24 1:43 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

But for one wet pit in, one more blown engine than Nico, and one controversial officiating call, Lewis is a 10 timer.

Chinese GP 2007. I was watching that race SCREAMING at the TV when he beached it. Hamilton, Webber, and Button have always been my favorite drivers since I started watching F1 again after college. 

When I was younger it was Senna. I used to wake up super early on Sunday's to watch the races. 

Keith Tanner
2/2/24 3:49 p.m.

Sounds like Carlos Sr. is pretty sure where Jr is going to end up.

https://manofmany.com/entertainment/sport/carlos-sainz-audi-f1

I love that guy, I was a big fan of his when he was racing WRC because he was just so engaged. The lows were so low, the highs were so high, his in-car interviews (in WRC the drivers get microphones stuffed in their faces as soon as they get their helmets off, the responses are very unfiltered) were great. And he knows exactly what his legacy is, he is a very confident man. I got the impression from the first season of DTS that Jr has had to prove his own worth, there was no riding on daddy's coattails.

JimS
JimS Reader
2/2/24 6:21 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

If if's and buts were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas. 

Keith Tanner
2/2/24 6:37 p.m.

In reply to JimS :

But one of those was officiating shenanigans as opposed to actual racing. Nico beat him straight up even if he had a couple of lucky breaks - that was a legit WDC win. 2021 was not, that championship was decided by the race director by throwing away the official rules with Horner in his ear. He put the spectacle ahead of the sport and tarnished both.

I'm glad Max was able to get another couple of WDCs because there's always going to be an asterisk beside his first one.

Advan046
Advan046 UberDork
2/2/24 8:15 p.m.

I wonder how 2024 will go now that one team is "locked in" for drivers in 2025. I wonder how many option clauses there are across the different teams/drivers.

Lewis is going to succeed as long as he has some kind of competitive car. 

JimS
JimS Reader
2/2/24 8:42 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

I agree. I'm really just an old (just turned 80) race fan with no real favorites since Jimmy Clark. 

Hoppps
Hoppps Reader
2/2/24 9:25 p.m.

In reply to Advan046 :

I think there were 13 contracts ending in 2024. 

I listened to P1 podcast and they mentioned Mick taking hamiltons spot. While I think that's not such a great move, Mick would be a good 2nd driver to George, and maybe this WEC season will help him improve 

Advan046
Advan046 UberDork
2/2/24 9:52 p.m.

I would think Albon would be an interesting fit for MB.

Sainz could work out as well.

Funny no one mentions Ricciardo but then he might just have a no option, on his end, contract.

Ocon would be a choice but I think they would have to buy him out of Alpine. 

Drugovich, Pourchaire, or Schumacher would be good investments as well. 

Keith Tanner
2/2/24 10:11 p.m.

I think Ricciardo is done. He's got flashes of speed, but he can't deliver anywhere near often enough. He's also apparently no good at car setup and development. Very likeable guy, but he's not quite as good as he has to be.

Sainz and George could be an interesting dynamic. I think it could get spicy between the two of them and Toto would spend a lot of time as a referee. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
2/3/24 8:05 a.m.

How about Alex Palou?  He is a phenomenal talent, I'm pretty sure he has enough points for a super license...  He has made Indycar his personal playground.

Advan046
Advan046 UberDork
2/3/24 9:13 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

I am kind of on your side regarding Ricciardo. But there seemed to such a fury of love for him replacing Perez. I expected that same energy to seep in here too. 

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
2/3/24 9:23 a.m.

Daniel needs to start showing Yuki how its done regularly before he's considered to partner Max.

He's had his time with multiple teams and comes up short,time to give a young talent a shot imo.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
2/3/24 11:30 a.m.

Pete Windsor podcast and he's heard Albon has been offered a 3 yr contract to partner Max starting in '25.

Advan046
Advan046 UberDork
2/3/24 4:20 p.m.
kevlarcorolla said:

Pete Windsor podcast and he's heard Albon has been offered a 3 yr contract to partner Max starting in '25.

Bad choice for Albon to go back to RBR. I hope that is false and he can find a seat anywhere other than RBR.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
2/3/24 4:40 p.m.

In reply to Advan046 :

I think his stock rose pretty quickly last yr and will have options.

While I wouldn't want to be involved with Horner/Helmut and especially Verstappen Sr saying no to what is likely to remain the best car on grid for a min of 2 out of that 3 yrs would be damn tough.

1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 62

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8xeQXB6zT7ls30qO6qCG2kdQBNvS3NVaxrwAOlhGR4T2IA0DP9dYEx7Rg8owcMcT