1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 ... 44
wae
wae Dork
10/3/16 2:56 a.m.
Autolex wrote: anyone going to COTA for F1 in a few weeks?

I talked my boss in to sending me to Dell World which is in Austin the preceding week so that I could stay over the weekend and go to the race. I still need to buy my tickets for COTA and figure out parking, but we've got the travel plans all squared away.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/3/16 6:43 a.m.
wae wrote:
I talked my boss in to sending me to Dell World which is in Austin the preceding week so that I could stay over the weekend and go to the race. I still need to buy my tickets for COTA and figure out parking, but we've got the travel plans all squared away.

According to the announcers, the highlight for the weekend will be Taylor Swift!

Have fun! Hope there's a lot better weather than last year.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis SuperDork
10/3/16 6:52 a.m.
wae wrote:

Keep an eye on Craigslist and the scalper sites for tickets. However, be prepared to pay a premium to watch Taylor Swift and/or The Weekend. Last year at this time, GA tickets for Saturday were around $20. This year, the Saturday tickets are going slightly higher than Sunday at around $100. You can get a Friday GA ticket for $5 and main grandstand for $15, though.

If you can do all three days and are on a budget, I'd get grandstand seats for Friday (you can still go to any of the GA places) just to get that experience and then GA for the other two days.

I'm still trying to decide whether or not to go.

-Rob

trigun7469
trigun7469 Dork
10/3/16 8:52 a.m.

photo IMG_1671_zpsa1kwofj0.jpg

markwemple
markwemple SuperDork
10/3/16 10:01 a.m.

I wish I could justify it. Between tickets for 4 people, hotel, car and flight, it's just above my free $$$ right now.

markwemple
markwemple SuperDork
10/3/16 10:03 a.m.
trigun7469 wrote:  photo IMG_1671_zpsa1kwofj0.jpg

Well, one difference is that Schumi was going to be beaten by Alonso anyway, Hammy had the race in hand. But, yeah, Schumi was certainly more mature in that moment.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
10/3/16 10:08 a.m.

So, the wife and I are going and wont be staying in town. Any tips for someone who has a rental car regarding parking at COTA?

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
10/3/16 1:24 p.m.

In reply to trigun7469:

That might be the stupidest berkeleying meme I've ever seen.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/3/16 2:38 p.m.
racerfink wrote: In reply to trigun7469: That might be the stupidest berkeleying meme I've ever seen.

No kidding. You can cherry-pick a moment from either guy's career to make him look good or bad. Funny how it doesn't include any of the times Schumacher crashed people or purposely spun at Monaco. I'm a fan, but he was no saint.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/3/16 6:03 p.m.

Wae, I'll be at Dell World too. I'm volunteering Tuesday morning and then hitting my customer's parties the rest of the week. (I'm a Dell Employee.)

I'll be there as always. Not sure what corner this year. I just hope it's not 9 again otherwise it may be my last race ever after I get swarmed by taylor swifties. Can't help you on parking but if you have any questions about the track just let me know.

markwemple
markwemple SuperDork
10/3/16 6:32 p.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote:
racerfink wrote: In reply to trigun7469: That might be the stupidest berkeleying meme I've ever seen.
No kidding. You can cherry-pick a moment from either guy's career to make him look good or bad. Funny how it doesn't include any of the times Schumacher crashed people or purposely spun at Monaco. I'm a fan, but he was no saint.

Or wrecked other drivers to win a championship, or.... Yeah, emulating Schumi isn't a good thing.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/3/16 6:45 p.m.
markwemple wrote:
Tom_Spangler wrote:
Or wrecked other drivers to win a championship, or.... Yeah, emulating Schumi isn't a good thing.

Isn't he the most successful driver of all time?

He played the game and won. If f1 didn't like it, they would have smacked him down.

markwemple
markwemple SuperDork
10/3/16 7:20 p.m.

It's a relative thing. In many minds he certainly isn't the best of all time. And in Nascar the wrecking is racing thing is bs. In f1 it can be deadly.

markwemple
markwemple SuperDork
10/3/16 7:21 p.m.

He isn't in my top 5. Senna, Fangio, Clark, Alonzo and Hakkinen (sp?)

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/3/16 10:51 p.m.
markwemple wrote: He isn't in my top 5. Senna, Fangio, Clark, Alonzo and Hakkinen (sp?)

Because Senna and Alonso would never intentionally take out their opponent or ask their teammate to intentionally cause a safety car, would they?

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/4/16 5:02 a.m.

Most sucessful. Not necessarily best.

markwemple
markwemple SuperDork
10/4/16 7:10 a.m.
codrus wrote:
markwemple wrote: He isn't in my top 5. Senna, Fangio, Clark, Alonzo and Hakkinen (sp?)
Because Senna and Alonso would never intentionally take out their opponent or ask their teammate to intentionally cause a safety car, would they?

Senna Prost was personal and started with Prost. Alonso, really? Sure blame him for the actions of a team principle Utter BS!

markwemple
markwemple SuperDork
10/4/16 7:11 a.m.

And how many times was Schumi's sanctioned for his bs? Alonso never. Senna once. Schumi's has that record. He'll the multiple move rule is due to MS BS.

Advan046
Advan046 SuperDork
10/4/16 9:16 a.m.

Yes that photo montage is just nonsense on many levels. One being the idea that men shouldn't show emotion, which is a recent (Early 20th century) trend in the USA mostly and just irrational. Schumacher has broken down in tears in press conferences and other places.

Good for Hamilton that he feels strong enough to let his emotions out. Not like he tried to run onto the track to fight the cars going by or throw his helmet at another competitor. He just let his emotions out and got back to work.

Advan046
Advan046 SuperDork
10/4/16 9:29 a.m.

Great race. I thought the tv coverage was off sometimes. We didn't see some of the hard racing or efforts out there. Hamilton was pounding out laps to clear Max which it turns out he didn't need to worry about as Ricciardo was going to keep him behind no matter what. The ideas that Hamilton was pushing his engine too much doesn't make sense as the team would have warned him if he was. So he was probably not even in full power mode just not cruise mode.

Button oh Button why do you always pit right before the safety car!?!?!?!? He was on his way to a really good finish and for I think the third time he pits just before a Virtual Safety Car which destroys his race.

MCLAREN is close to being back I hope they get points in Japan!

Vettel is just off this whole year. He has had many team created problems but he also has just as many self induced issues. Sort of paralleling Hamilton's year I guess.

I really hope that Carlos Sainz gets a better drive soon. He has been the measure of all his teammates, yes even super media sensation Max.

HAAS Just pretend this didn't happen.

I really am a Hamilton fan and while Rosberg is a good guy I want Hamilton to win this year. There has been implications that Rosberg will play dirty, I don't agree with them though but we will see what happens now.

trigun7469
trigun7469 Dork
10/4/16 2:12 p.m.
markwemple wrote:
Tom_Spangler wrote:

Schumi took a lot of criticism for many years on things that occured in F1 before his time, team orders has already been around in F1, Blocking (yes he didn't invent it) yet for some reason it was Schumi's fault. As far as being aggressive that is part of F1. One of the best battles of Gilles Villeneuve VS Rene Arnoux, banging wheels battling for second place in 79, aggression is what makes it exciting. Heck Prost and Senna going at it made it exciting. Of course those cars where significantly more dangerous. I didn't hear anybody mentioning Alonso antics with Hamilton sitting in the pits . You can debate all day long on who you think is the best, but Schumi is the best the stats confirm it. Hamilton probably has the best chance to reach his wins total but what teammate hasn't he touched wheels with and got along with? Is J.button it?

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/4/16 2:16 p.m.
trigun7469 wrote:
markwemple wrote:
Tom_Spangler wrote:
Schumi took a lot of criticism for many years on things that occured in F1 before his time, team orders has already been around in F1, Blocking (yes he didn't invent it) yet for some reason it was Schumi's fault. As far as being aggressive that is part of F1. One of the best battles of Gilles Villeneuve VS Rene Arnoux, banging wheels battling for second place in 79, aggression is what makes it exciting. Heck Prost and Senna going at it made it exciting. Of course those cars where significantly more dangerous. I didn't hear anybody mentioning Alonso antics with Hamilton sitting in the pits . You can debate all day long on who you think is the best, but Schumi is the best the stats confirm it. Hamilton probably has the best chance to reach his wins total but what teammate hasn't he touched wheels with and got along with? Is J.button it?

As I said, I'm a fan of Schumacher. I also loved Senna, and he certainly did some shady things on track. I'm not going to deny or make excuses for either of them. You take the bad with the good, IMO.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/4/16 4:21 p.m.
trigun7469 wrote: Is J.button it?

I think he and Heikki Kovalainen got along pretty well, but Hamilton was comfortably in front for those 2 years.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/7/16 6:19 p.m.

Got good news today. I'll be safe from any any stampeding swifties after qualifying. Working on of my favorite corners for the USGP there at the exit of turn 12. 4th year in a row working it. Can't believe it's been that long now.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
10/9/16 1:27 p.m.

Excellent race from second back. I think one day Mini Max may turn up with a black eye after some of his fellow drivers take him out back to be taught a lesson.

I may be a Brit and a Hamilton fan but I will be happy to see Nico get the WDC this year.

1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 ... 44

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
y0aRgCWg5GvOoPkmCHi6UtHNiO7PBDy1THLjAqXLLpmhgo9eqPzkLQqKUIsp7WYM