Paris Van Gorder
Paris Van Gorder Associate editor
10/18/24 12:12 p.m.

The timetable for a group of college students to turn an idea into an internationally competitive race car? Just 365 days.

Seems impossible, right? Well, for this generation of engineers and leaders, that's their life.

This achievement is all thanks to a program called Formula SAE. It provides students with an outlet to develop their skills outside the classroom …

Read the rest of the story

Paris Van Gorder
10/18/24 12:19 p.m.

So many great photos of these teams so little space. 

UCF (Knights Racing)

FAU (Owls racing)

FIU (Panther Motorsports)

UNF (Osprey Racing)

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/18/24 12:23 p.m.

The FSAE car that I saw was Georgia Tech’s at an Atlanta autocross. This had to be 1992 or so. If I had known that FSAE was an option, perhaps I would have gone to a different school....

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/18/24 12:24 p.m.

PS: Found some Formula SAE history here

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/18/24 12:59 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

PS: Found some Formula SAE history here

Much love for FSAE here.  Thanks for the history link!  I was part of the Maryland team for the 1991 car, and my FSAE work is what got me into the auto industry.  

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
10/18/24 1:00 p.m.

I once dropped 2lbs (or was it 3lbs?) of unsprung weight on some uprights.  6061->7075 and some optimizing via FEA.

Recruitment drive 2014

I have more hair now. 

Paris Van Gorder
10/18/24 1:19 p.m.

Here is a little flashback of when I was VP of the Embry Riddle Team. I have so much love for this program and for my old team.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/18/24 1:30 p.m.

Pffft FSAE doesn't even have jumps on their courses cheeky  SAE Baja is way more grassroots, having way more fun for a fraction of the money.

Lump
Lump New Reader
10/18/24 2:02 p.m.

Not cleaner though....

Carl Heideman
Carl Heideman
10/18/24 2:16 p.m.

I'm the advisor for Hope College's team. We're one of a few small, private colleges that compete and generally build a car every two years when Covid doesn't interfere.  We used to be able to run the car at Lincoln in June and then MIS the following May under the 12 month eligibility rule. As mentioned above,  FSAE students learn so much and a get a huge advantage in the job market. 

We have several racers and engineers that volunteer to mentor the students. They enjoy it and really have helped the team be successful. If you have a FSAE team near you, I highly recommend giving them a few hours of your time. 

2018-19 car.

2021-22 car.

2024 car.

Practicing for tilt test.

Enough said.

Rick O'Shea
Rick O'Shea GRM+ Memberand New Reader
10/18/24 3:21 p.m.

FSAE was a huge part of my college experience and enabled my career to flourish. I actually had the opportunity to purchase our 2003 Missouri car (2nd overall in Detroit) that I primarily designed and helped build. It proudly sits displayed in my garage and occasionally comes out to set FTD at the local autocross. I keep a framed copy of its features in Racecar Engineering and Racer Magazine on the wall nearby. Priceless.

Fun sidebar- In 2002 I was tired of leaning over and getting my feet run over pushing the car through our buildings and at competition. So one night I whipped up a clip-on push bar that allowed one or two people to push the car around. At competition that year the stewards were so enamored with the idea that it became written into the rules. You're welcome!

chaparral
chaparral GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/18/24 4:06 p.m.

Unevolved, whiltebeitel, coleasterling, and I were on the 2012 Texas A&M FSAE team - we learned a lot about all of engineering, not just the areas of the car we worked on. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qVzKcIYu1ySYbhrz7a2NB85R08dFHLlQMrXtUchTYGu8JeGdnSPF3Pt9OoqBC0BF