1 2 3
kb58
kb58 UltraDork
10/21/24 9:04 p.m.

Just... be careful making a fun hobby into a career. There's a big difference between working on what you want and when you want, and being told what to do. As a teen, my passion was electronics, spending time in the garage teaching myself most everything, including building several early (late 1970s) computers from scratch. By the time I got to college, I had far more practical experience than anyone in my classes, though it was of limited value in everything except lab classes. After graduating as an EE, that practical experience was probably worth more than the diploma (other than it being required to get a foot in the door at many larger companies). Once doing electronics as a career though... sucked much of the fun out of the activity and I no longer had any interest in persuing it on my own time. In the back of my head, I had always been interested in mechanical stuff, so that opened the door to building cars as a hobby, which kept it fun.  "Midlana" and "Kimini" for those unfamiliar with them (Google them).

Between being an EE, having software experience, and having built and flown RC aircraft,  I applied to and was hired by an aerospace defense contractor, retiring after 25 years. Getting back on this thread, I knew many managers and heard many stories regarding hiring, and they all had similar themes. That is, the lack of practical experience. Yes, they had good grades, yes, they went to good colleges, but ask them how to heat treat steel, anneal aluminum, deal with ground loops in signal-conditioning circuity, or handle noisy signals with software - usually blank stares, or worse, really bad guesses.

Mini rant: the Worst were fresh graduates who not only expected to start at a six-figure salary, but to be handed a corner office, with assistant. A company car would be appreciated as well. I wish I was kidding. One day I was passing through our lobby and there was a very nervous looking young man in a suit and tie - who looked like he had fallen face-first into a tackle box. Probably had two pounds of metal piercings in his face and ears. We can say that looks don't matter but we all know otherwise - I wished him well.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OkvH5mHttNA58JFCfbQHQwvovcId4K6umwpnU8zQr9mK9RCGVDhxPU9aoy9XpTbE