hrdlydangerous
hrdlydangerous New Reader
8/11/08 3:44 p.m.

I'm trying to squeeze a few more events out of my old autocross tires and it was suggested to me to use some traction additive. I've been looking on the interweb and the two major brands seem to be Formula V and Track Claw. Has anyone used them before? Track Claw is making claims that it increases the life of the tires while Formula V says it increases traction. Any experience? Are they just snake oil?

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/12/08 5:21 a.m.

GRM did a tire test several years ago where they ran treated used tires versus new tires, and the new tires didn't win by much, if at all.

Formula V kicks a$$. It makes tires very sticky. The PGT that I ran at the '06 challenge had a set of hoosier A6s that were soaked in FV and placed 16th in the autocross (with Al McCrispin at the wheel) with no other changes from stock. Full weight, no power adder, no suspension work, not even a good alignment. FV was generously applied over several days, then the tires were stacked in the corner for about a month before being bagged and loaded into the car for the trip to FL. I had to have a friend of mine help me get them unstuck from each other. i'm not making that up. they were super-boogery. i'll let you know in 50 days how they respond to a second treatment two years later, as they've been sitting in the corner since returning home from the '06 challenge and i'm putting them on the V8 944 for '08.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf New Reader
8/12/08 7:00 a.m.

Only thing Track Claw will do for you is leave goo on the trailer....Seen several guys try it at the races and it works great for a lap or 3 but after that its gone.

FV seems to work at autocross's well but not tried on my race car.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
8/12/08 7:22 a.m.

I used FV at the '06 Challenge as well on the Victoracer V700's I had. It worked great, the tires 'felt' better than they ever had, the greasy feeling they had always had was gone. Fourth in the AX (unofficial FTD, one damn cone after the finish) made me happy. I have since used it to resurrect my last set of 710's and had decent results.

wreckerboy
wreckerboy SuperDork
8/12/08 10:39 a.m.

Circle Track did a comparison a few years ago (back when they were doing actual scientific testing) of several major tire treatments, including Tire Claw. Tire Claw won the testing going away. I used it on some new to me Kumhos when I was getting back on track and can say that if you follow their directions there is a huge difference in tire performance.

hrdlydangerous
hrdlydangerous New Reader
8/12/08 8:07 p.m.

Thanks for the input guys. It seems that the "V" is almost twenty dollars cheaper and more suited for autocross so that's what I'll go with.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eloyib2V5XKJcVB9WtNJEPcY6vLvS1BLFaYk1DoVjMwCQoXNd6VzJ7muWp0D83Fe