wawazat
wawazat New Reader
9/28/14 8:42 p.m.

I haven't owned a Mustang in years though I've owned 6 in the past including SVO's, LX, GT, and ASC 5.0 convertibles. All of this was before I started into autocross. I'd like to try some track days as well in the future but my 5 speed SVX isn't the platform I want to play with much longer. I know the Fox platform has less than stellar suspension and structure but I wondered what the group thought of one with a Maximum or Griggs suspension. The 5.0 are easy to play with and with a light enough platform and with some suspension enhancements I'm intrigued. Your thoughts and input are appreciated.

The_Jed
The_Jed UltraDork
9/28/14 8:48 p.m.

What kind of condition is the SVX in?

Trade for a (Fox based) 1992 Lincoln Mark VII?

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
9/28/14 9:01 p.m.

I am a fan

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/86-mustang-challenger-build/41304/page1/

wawazat
wawazat New Reader
9/28/14 9:22 p.m.

Thanks Jed but I have to pass on the Mark VII.

The SVX is a two owner car with 153k on it that we bought in 1995 with 28k. It was a daily driver for my wife until it popped a head gasket and I replaced them in 2002. At that point it underwent a slow change to a 5 speed (one move, two kids) and got moving again finally in 2008. It currently has Koni/GC coilover suspension, big rear bar, Recaro seats and harnesses, interior stripped out rear seats back and I run in SM. Paint is kind of rough with clear coat peeling in multiple spots. Not sure what I want to do with her long term but limited upgrade potential has me wanting something more these days.

Thanks Steve. I thought of your car right off the bat but wanted to see what other input I might get as well.

Todd

The_Jed
The_Jed UltraDork
9/28/14 10:12 p.m.

You might be able to snag an old cmc or american iron Mustang for a fairly reasonable price.

I would love to have an otherwise stock fox with $4,000 or so worth of m.m. suspension and chassis bits on it.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
9/29/14 5:50 a.m.

$4000+ of Maximum Motorsports goodies just to fix the poor Fox geometry. For not much more you could buy a S197 and have a much better car.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/29/14 7:25 a.m.

Unless you've got your heart set on a Fox body, I'd recommend the SN-95 (and New Edge) platform. 4 wheel disc brakes, an easy brake upgrade path using the factory Cobra brakes, and the front rotor design doesn't eat wheel bearings on track days like the 4 lug Foxes.

If you're just doing auto-x, then a Fox body is more doable, provided you're willing to spend some money on the suspension. Used parts are your friend here. Or better yet, find one with the work already done that someone is selling for a huge loss.

Full disclosure: I've owned two '92 5.0/5spd Foxes and loved them! Also currently own an '01 GT/5spd.

Klayfish
Klayfish UltraDork
9/29/14 7:50 a.m.

I think it also depends on how serious you will take autox or HPDE. When I did autox, I was just out there for fun. I wanted to turn the best lap I could, but had very little interest in FTD or class win or whatever. It was just a hobby. For HPDE, you want to be sure your suspension is safe since there are higher speeds involved. And I agree with the others, the Fox needs upgrades to really perform. I've done track days with a modified Fox, and it was a blast. But the SN-95 prices are now at the point where I'd just start there instead.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/29/14 9:17 a.m.

They will always have a special place in my heart. I've owned two Fox bodies and two SN95s. I did quite a lot of autocrossing and HPDE with the Foxes. Eventually I got tired of fighting with the limitations of the platform and moved on to BMWs and Miatae. But you can't beat them for cheap speed. Don't expect to challenge for trophies in autocross without a lot of work unless you are Fangio. But that doesn't mean they can't beat a lot of fun.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YNvc6ngppJQZhgUqVKjnE1E20SW6AjIrUeCN5O0pnITXBk5ijqhilGvYG8raxGwq