1 ... 7 8 9
z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
2/4/15 7:21 a.m.
yamaha wrote: In reply to z31maniac: Of course the tires will be more expensive(they're bigger/wider, comes with the territory), but what in the name of berkeley caused you to have $150 oil changes? Even dry sump e46 m3s aren't that expensive to have done. The EB mustang fixed the fuel economy thing as well. Brakes, idk what to tell you. I'll assume you had the PP with the monster brembo's.

9 quarts of Ford Synthetic 5w-50.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/4/15 8:23 a.m.
Mitchell wrote: I see the Frisbees as a really nice long-term car. Mechanically simple by modern standards, minimal options, and with an engine bay that doesn't look terrifying. Simply seems to be a very straightforward car with few gimmicks. I guess that's why I like them.

Yep this is why I'd buy one. It's the closest you can get to buying an AE86 new off the lot in 2015.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltraDork
2/4/15 8:56 a.m.

I shopped the Miata against the NC Miata. Miata was about 8k more (40K ) to put in the driveway.

Choice went to the FRS because it felt nicer to drive. NC Miata really does feel like a barge compared to an NA. Also, already had a Miata and I was thinking that the FRS would be a better winter car. This has proven to NOT be the case.

If the 2016 Miata had been out, it could have been a different result.

My choice of cars reflects a desire to not feed $$$ to oil companies, car companies or Insurance companies when I wont be needed the extra power. "Just the right amount to get the job done" works for me.

I have the feeling that very few people even know the difference between "Want" and "Need" anymore!

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
2/4/15 9:52 a.m.
z31maniac wrote:
yamaha wrote: In reply to z31maniac: Of course the tires will be more expensive(they're bigger/wider, comes with the territory), but what in the name of berkeley caused you to have $150 oil changes? Even dry sump e46 m3s aren't that expensive to have done. The EB mustang fixed the fuel economy thing as well. Brakes, idk what to tell you. I'll assume you had the PP with the monster brembo's.

Holy hell, crazy sized sump or does it have a massive cooler/accumulator somewhere?

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
2/4/15 10:39 a.m.
yamaha wrote:
z31maniac wrote:
Holy hell, crazy sized sump or does it have a massive cooler/accumulator somewhere?

Both. Normal is 8qts, but with the BOSS oil cooler it added another .75.

kanaric
kanaric Dork
2/4/15 10:47 a.m.
Mitchell wrote: and with an engine bay that doesn't look terrifying. Simply seems to be a very straightforward car with few gimmicks. I guess that's why I like them.

Flat 4 mounted low in the car? Sounds very straight forward, gimmick free, and easy to work on

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
2/4/15 10:56 a.m.

I hope it doesn't require spark plugs and a valve cover gasket every oil change like my MX6.

But i'm not entirely sure if spark/fuel/air control technology has moved forward since the 80s.

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/4/15 4:06 p.m.

On the twins the dipstick, oil cap and filter all practically jump out of the top of the front of the engine, and the filter has a built-in drip catcher around it; couldn't be much easier!

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
2/4/15 6:35 p.m.
ae86andkp61 wrote: On the twins the dipstick, oil cap and filter all practically jump out of the top of the front of the engine, and the filter has a built-in drip catcher around it; couldn't be much easier!

Thank Toyota for those features. Subaru wouldn't have made it that easy ;)

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
2/4/15 8:16 p.m.

In reply to irish44j: I actually looked, and the 370Z and the FRS/BRZ are about the same size in total length and wheelbase, which is surprising. Also, how is the back seat space in all of these sports coupes? Also include the RX-8; I haven't test driven any of them yet.

Vracer111
Vracer111 Reader
2/4/15 9:28 p.m.
Vracer111
Vracer111 Reader
2/4/15 9:33 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote: I hope it doesn't require spark plugs and a valve cover gasket every oil change like my MX6. But i'm not entirely sure if spark/fuel/air control technology has moved forward since the 80s.

Spark plugs every 60k miles... valve cover gaskets are fine @ 30k on mine, redlined everyday...

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UberDork
2/4/15 9:38 p.m.

My biggest concern is the two cases I've seen of cam gears failing. Both on a friends BRZ and one at the last track day I was at. I'm hoping they are some sort of very odd failure that has clustered where I can see it, but it has me worried.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
2/4/15 10:25 p.m.
irish44j wrote:
ae86andkp61 wrote: On the twins the dipstick, oil cap and filter all practically jump out of the top of the front of the engine, and the filter has a built-in drip catcher around it; couldn't be much easier!
Thank Toyota for those features. Subaru wouldn't have made it that easy ;)

Weird, my Forester has this same thing and Toyota doesn't sell a variant of that. I also read through 7 pages of a Subaru related thread and was waiting for input on your car. Finally saw it on page 8 :)

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
2/6/15 12:06 a.m.
Vracer111 wrote: All you needs to know... GT86 vs 370Z vs Cayman S FR-S vs RX8 vs S2000

It's funny--Harris thinks it's brilliant, Clarkson thinks it's brilliant, the internet thinks it's garbage.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
2/6/15 5:27 a.m.

Personally I think the twins are great little cars. But, for me, that is the problem. They're not comfortable for me as a DD. I don't like feeling cramped, and in the winter I need that room for my big ass wrapped in layers and bulky coats.

For that reason, and that reason alone, the Frisbee twins are out and I'd have to venture to the Gen Coupe or C5.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
2/6/15 8:35 a.m.
gamby wrote:
Vracer111 wrote: All you needs to know... GT86 vs 370Z vs Cayman S FR-S vs RX8 vs S2000
It's funny--Harris thinks it's brilliant, Clarkson thinks it's brilliant, the internet thinks it's garbage.

It's like the guys that try to give track/auto-X/HPDE advice, yet have never actually done it themselves.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
2/6/15 8:39 a.m.

They're clearly selling badly, there were "only" 60k sold by September 2014.

Which.... i think is more than all NC miatas, combined?

sjd
sjd New Reader
2/6/15 8:49 a.m.

In reply to Swank Force One:

Yes and I'd wager that they have a younger average buyer than the NC MX-5 too. When I purchased my first NC I was in my early 30's and didn't meet any other owners under the age of 50.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
2/6/15 9:31 a.m.

Those videos make me wish I had more cash lying around. Can you imagine how silly that same test would look in 1987? It's a good time to like cars.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
2/6/15 9:48 a.m.
tuna55 wrote: Those videos make me wish I had more cash lying around. Can you imagine how silly that same test would look in 1987? It's a good time to like cars.

"Introducing the new Supercar by Toyota: The Scion FRS! Yours for the low low low price of $17k (adjusted for inflation)"

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
2/6/15 9:50 a.m.
Swank Force One wrote:
tuna55 wrote: Those videos make me wish I had more cash lying around. Can you imagine how silly that same test would look in 1987? It's a good time to like cars.
"Introducing the new Supercar by Toyota: The Scion FRS! Yours for the low low low price of $17k (adjusted for inflation)"

In 1987, I was five, so I didn't have that much cash sitting around then either.

1 ... 7 8 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
relkxsZmpkjdV365yAhrMO0JKUXU2WxOtpi2GrlkSx9BedBUHiLq5Mdmy6mvZFGc