1 2
golfduke
golfduke Reader
9/24/14 8:25 a.m.

I have access to a good running engine from a family member's total loss. Free. I have no idea what it's worth (if anything). Here is what I know- It's an 05 chevy malibu LTZ, motor is a 3.5L V6. "LX9 3500 High Value Engine" Comes with the auto trans as well as any wiring/ECU's I need.

It has 140k on it, and there isn't anything wrong with it. I really would love to use it in some fashion in something cool, but I have no idea about manualizing it, or if it's simply a lost cause.

wwGRMd? turn it into a coffee table? Trade it for scrap? Put it in a Yerf Dog? Miata? Mid engined rwd porsche retrofit to piss off all of the PCA purists?

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UberDork
9/24/14 8:32 a.m.

I'll bet that would haul the mail in a Fiero - or a Citation X11.

fidelity101
fidelity101 SuperDork
9/24/14 8:33 a.m.

craigslist for beer money.

singleslammer
singleslammer SuperDork
9/24/14 8:40 a.m.

sell it to someone for their MG. That is the penical (or close to it) of the GM pushrod V6. These are over 200hp stock and with a bit of effort can make a far bit more power. Bolts to a 3.4l Camaro T5 and will fit almost anywhere because it is tiny.

JacktheRiffer
JacktheRiffer Reader
9/24/14 8:56 a.m.

The answer in this kind of situation is always racecar.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/24/14 9:06 a.m.

pitch the trans for a T5, install in early S-10 or Gen 3 F-body for a nice DD.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/24/14 9:12 a.m.

kart or ghettocet build

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
9/24/14 9:30 a.m.

Racecar is the answer. with that, I would have to look at it and see if selling would net more. Unless you have a vehicle sitting there just waiting, well....

RossD
RossD PowerDork
9/24/14 9:47 a.m.

Find cheap GM econobox and install all of it in the ass end. Just hoon. No need to race it.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
9/24/14 9:51 a.m.

How has nobody said this

"Challenge"

Lancer007
Lancer007 HalfDork
9/24/14 9:52 a.m.

Fiero

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Dork
9/24/14 9:54 a.m.

Is the High Value still the GM Metric pattern? I know the High Feature is different.

kylini
kylini Reader
9/24/14 9:58 a.m.

Power an overkill ghetto elevator in your house? May or may not slingshot occupants through the roof.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb New Reader
9/24/14 10:06 a.m.

Hunt for a clean gm that has that engine blown up for cheap. Install it properly as the manufacturer intended. It can then be used as a nice DD or you could flip it for a tidy profit. The polite thing to do if you flip it is to share some of the profits with the person who donated the engine.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/24/14 10:24 a.m.

Mid engine something.

golfduke
golfduke Reader
9/24/14 10:33 a.m.
gearheadmb wrote: Hunt for a clean gm that has that engine blown up for cheap. Install it properly as the manufacturer intended. It can then be used as a nice DD or you could flip it for a tidy profit. The polite thing to do if you flip it is to share some of the profits with the person who donated the engine.

If I were to ever sell it off or turn it for a profit, I'd be 100% sure to get all of the proceeds to her for sure. 1)I'm not like that, and 2) she's family. I'd love to do something funky with it, but with 2 already project cars, I'd be pushing the marital and driveway limits by buying another berkeleying shell, haha.

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/24/14 10:35 a.m.

Just make sure it's at your place over the holidays. And you've got plenty of Christmas lights. We'll figure something out

golfduke
golfduke Reader
9/24/14 10:38 a.m.

I wonder how this would work in the miata... probably not well, but I do already have that one...

rcutclif
rcutclif GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/24/14 11:41 a.m.

if it fits well in an mgb, miata should be similar.

Storz
Storz Dork
9/24/14 11:49 a.m.

Stalker V6?

http://stalkercars.com/

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/24/14 11:54 a.m.

In reply to golfduke:

Purchase Exocet kit, install bits from miata w/ gm v6+t5, sell stock miata engine.

edizzle89
edizzle89 Reader
9/24/14 1:45 p.m.

my vote is a coffee table... that runs! slap some zoomies on it and start it up at parties, maybe fill the zoomies with confetti for someones birthday or a surprise party.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/24/14 2:39 p.m.

Chevette

Leafy
Leafy Reader
9/24/14 6:40 p.m.
golfduke wrote: I wonder how this would work in the miata... probably not well, but I do already have that one...

Might actually be really berkeleying close to working with the LFX swap kit from V8R.

jmthunderbirdturbo
jmthunderbirdturbo HalfDork
9/25/14 3:36 a.m.

cut a giant hole in the back of a 90's civic hatch or fiesta, shove motor in hole. weld back of car back on. hoon. profit?

-J0N

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ypfD5zUE47IePRNLAMjUgN7UxdF22716cvpitevadLZ5shLRB2QPdlGauY0cc9vQ