1 2
Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/15/16 12:57 p.m.
bentwrench wrote: CIS injection is not going to provide much useful hardware. No temp sensor, no throttle position sensor, you might be able to use the pump but will need a pressure regulator,

The CIS-E system does have a temp sensor, because the fuel and warmup enrichment are controlled by a real gen-u-ine computer. It's not a basic CIS or -Lambda system with a warmup regulator.

10-4 on the other stuff.

bentwrench
bentwrench Dork
11/15/16 8:54 p.m.

I have purposely forgotten anything I know about Jetronics.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/16/16 5:47 a.m.

In reply to bentwrench:

I'm most likely going to be converting a car from K-Lambda to KE this winter...

bentwrench
bentwrench Dork
11/16/16 6:39 a.m.

A man with much intestinal fortitude!

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
11/16/16 6:59 a.m.

For what it's worth, on the BMW 2002 I used to have, I first converted the ignition system to use EDIS and Megajolt. Played around with the curve until I got it where the car was really happy with it. Then after that was sorted, I got a Megasquirt and converted from carb to EFI. The ignition part of that was simple because it was already done and I mostly just had to put my ignition curve into megasquirt. It would be a lot harder to do both at once, so the baby step plan makes sense to me.

bentwrench
bentwrench Dork
11/16/16 8:27 a.m.

You guys are making too much of an ignition curve.

The default spark table that comes with MS firmware will get you running just fine.

Any spark table you plug in will need work.

That is part of the fun though, an MS is not an "over the counter" end user friendly EFI.

It is for the experimenter, for the guy who is not willing to pay big bucks for a box that he can't get inside and twiddle. What is really cool about MS is it scales from the Newb to the racer all with one box. And can be used on a multitude of differing hardware. You can even rewrite the code!

I have installed some of those big name high $ systems and they were crap next to a MS. Holley, Edelbrock are two that made my life miserable and in the end I threw them away and installed MS to make them happy. I could not in good consciousness sell them to anyone, I would smash them so no one else would have that grief. They are hung on the wall of shame for all to see.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
7/24/18 11:44 a.m.
Knurled said:
bentwrench wrote: Fuel only is like sticking it in only half way.....

That's a rather crude way of directing someone to turn a simple project into a probable hulk in the corner of the garage until it is sold for parts.

Fuel only is a great way to learn tuning if you've never done it before. Tuning fuel is easy and fun, and the hardware setup is simple and easy to work over any new-guy hurdles.

Trying to work out crank trigger setups and sorting out an ignition map can make you rip what is left of your hair out, even if you think you know what you're doing. Doing both at the same time, as a first project, can get you into shrieking-chimpanzee-frustration zone.

Im here now due to trying to do both at once.

Just ordered an msd distributor.  Right now, i wans to run my ms2 3.57 in fuel only. Ignition to be handled by the msd box and msd distributor.  

How do i wire it up? At the moment, the sheilded pair run to rhe factory distributor, and the ecu fires the msd box via the points trigger wire.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
7/24/18 11:50 a.m.
Dusterbd13 said:

Im here now due to trying to do both at once.

Just ordered an msd distributor.  Right now, i wans to run my ms2 3.57 in fuel only. Ignition to be handled by the msd box and msd distributor.  

How do i wire it up? At the moment, the sheilded pair run to rhe factory distributor, and the ecu fires the msd box via the points trigger wire.

Wire the MSD box to the distributor, run MSD tach output to MS2 pin 24, done.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/24/18 11:54 a.m.

In reply to MadScientistMatt :

That is what I have been doing since 2008.  MSD box puts out a beautiful, noise free signal on its tach out.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
7/24/18 11:58 a.m.

Which is what i am hoping happens here as well.

I think my 3 year fight is all ignition related. So its time to go nuclear. 

The tach signal from box goes to the tach. Can it do both?

NorseDave
NorseDave Reader
7/24/18 11:59 a.m.

As the thread starter, I'm ashamed to admit how little progress has been made on this project.  It is not off the books, just delayed while other stuff got sorted out sad

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/24/18 12:13 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

No, it can not.  I tried.  You either need to wire your tach to the tach out on the MS, or... get inventive.

I have a second pickup coil (RX-7 distributors have two) that triggers an igniton module connected to a "dummy coil" (a 1000 ohm resistor) and this is what drives my tach, since the first MS box I had did not have a tach out, and engineering inertia is a helluva thing.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
7/24/18 12:17 p.m.

Ok. No tach right now. Got it.

Any settings need changed for fuel only?

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
7/24/18 1:10 p.m.

Just set spark mode to fuel only.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
7/24/18 1:42 p.m.

Awesome.  Thanks y'all. Hopefully it will drive this weekendand i can start autotune

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ONLq3DwfkvyHtVzy4PHALmSQSiEfAsnXNzCjvtlOxPx1g88pVGAjaYw9Y7yjC1Po