Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
4/30/22 11:56 a.m.

Yesterday the Suburban showed a low coolant level. Filled it up but started looking for the normal suspects this morning. Water pump looks good but the heater core connections are dripping. Can actually see where it's dripped onto the trans dipstick and run down the outside of it. 

I did these on my old 99 and they were a PITA with one less connection than these. Was it the cheap AutoZone tool or is this one of those things were you say I did it once and learned that I'll pay someone else to do it next time?

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
4/30/22 12:06 p.m.

That job sucks but is definitely doable at home. I seem to recall a gm specific heater hose release tool for these. Has added complexity because of rear heat/ac.

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
4/30/22 12:42 p.m.

I recall seeing a cheap autozone tool for just this job

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
4/30/22 1:15 p.m.

I hope you have new connectors before you take anything apart, because you won't be able to fix that with anything else.

Pretend it's a BMW cooling system part made out of degraded plastic, and proceed to just break the plastic.

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
4/30/22 3:41 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

Yeah other than a gentle swipe to feel coolant I was afraid to really touch them as I didn't want them to fall apart. If I remember right I had problems getting the new ones to seat on the heater core lines. I'm pretty sure I had to go buy another one as I destroyed one putting it on. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/1/22 8:54 a.m.

I have replaced many of these, usually on a plow truck the morning of a huge snow and they NEED their truck back ASAP so they can try to actually make money, so I'm fighting them outside rather than screwing around trying to take the plow off so I can get it in the building.  Plus the plow makes it easier to work on the truck, kind of a built in foothold for freeclimbing.

That right side one looks like it's been replaced already, someone took off the constant-pressure GM hose clamp in favor of a guaranteed-leak worm clamp.  You should probably fix that while you have it apart, if possible.

The tool looks like a fuel line disconnect tool but larger.  I have the Lisle duzital kit, seems to be pretty generic now.

They WILL break if you touch them.

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
5/1/22 10:13 a.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Yeah I think I'll replace both hoses and both quick disconnects.

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
5/6/22 4:53 p.m.

That didn't last long. 

The Lisle duzital took will be here this evening. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gSzaIjDVM9jazVmFX7rfyKtdT6y7EjI2lv5tWmWI3K4w5zI3AQJW8OgXRf8QTRvc