1 2 3
dooodstevenn
dooodstevenn New Reader
4/23/13 1:06 a.m.

In reply to clutchsmoke:

You can't program the ECU on 05 and down? Or is it just more difficult?

dooodstevenn
dooodstevenn New Reader
4/23/13 2:36 a.m.

Down to a s2000, MS3, and e46 m3. How are the replacements on the m3? I'm going to assume more expensive? Also how is the reliability on high compression engines? I've heard the properly taken care of honda f22c engine can hold great compression to 150k-200k miles. What about the other two?

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
4/23/13 3:29 a.m.
rotard wrote: What about a C5 or C5 Z06? You can find them for $18k. Insurance, fuel economy, and space are all surprisingly good. Consumables are more expensive, but it's only really an issue if you drive like an asshat all the time.

Doesn't it have interior components akin to what are in my Astro?

rotard
rotard Dork
4/23/13 4:43 a.m.
rotard wrote: What about a C5 or C5 Z06? You can find them for $18k. Insurance, fuel economy, and space are all surprisingly good. Consumables are more expensive, but it's only really an issue if you drive like an asshat all the time.

I don't think an interior snob would fap over any of the cars mentioned in this thread. I never felt the lack of rich Corinthian leather caressing my ass-cheeks as a detriment to driving my Z06.

I'm of the opinion that this kid should save most of his money. While I suppose it's entirely possible that he's paid off a 2011 Mazda3 on his own at age 19, something tells me that his parents would be pretty upset if it were to be replaced with an $18k "fun car."

I understand wanting something fun. Keep the Mazda3 and buy a cheap fun car like an E30, RX7, or NB. Another option would be to sell the Mazda3 and buy a reliable fun car for >$10k while banking the rest.

Plopping out $18k in cash on any car at 19 is a horrible idea.

dooodstevenn
dooodstevenn New Reader
4/23/13 8:36 a.m.
rotard wrote:

I don't think an interior snob would fap over any of the cars mentioned in this thread. I never felt the lack of rich Corinthian leather caressing my ass-cheeks as a detriment to driving my Z06.

I'm of the opinion that this kid should save most of his money. While I suppose it's entirely possible that he's paid off a 2011 Mazda3 on his own at age 19, something tells me that his parents would be pretty upset if it were to be replaced with an $18k "fun car."

I understand wanting something fun. Keep the Mazda3 and buy a cheap fun car like an E30, RX7, or NB. Another option would be to sell the Mazda3 and buy a reliable fun car for >$10k while banking the rest.

Plopping out $18k in cash on any car at 19 is a horrible idea.

In Reply to Rotard:

Those were both ideas I have had before, I was going to get a NB as a second car, but insurance didn't work out, and was more than I was willing to pay on both. Also was going to sell, and spend maybe 10-12k and use the rest towards my tuition next year so I wouldn't have to worry about it, but everything I like in that price range seems to have some pretty darn high miles.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
4/23/13 8:55 a.m.
dooodstevenn wrote: s2000 or wrx? thoughts?

You removed the S2000 from the running when you removed other 2 seaters.

The WRX is ugly and not even as close to as sporty as other entries on your list so... bleh.

I'm holding fast at E36/E46 until you say "Fine... how about 2 seaters then?"

dooodstevenn
dooodstevenn New Reader
4/23/13 10:02 a.m.

In reply to Giant Purple Snorklewacker:

Fine...how about a 2 seater then?

How are the parts on the e46? Any thoughts on convertible vs slick top in terms of handling?

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke HalfDork
4/23/13 10:15 a.m.

Older than 06 S2000 need to run a standalone if you want anything other than stock performance. And stock performance is pretty good, but with a tune they do pick up some power right in the meat of the powerband.

dooodstevenn
dooodstevenn New Reader
4/23/13 11:45 a.m.
clutchsmoke wrote: Older than 06 S2000 need to run a standalone if you want anything other than stock performance. And stock performance is pretty good, but with a tune they do pick up some power right in the meat of the powerband.

Ok, so still do-able but a lot more expensive then? (I'm assuming a stand alone would be much more expensive than a flash pro or something else along those lines)

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
4/23/13 12:33 p.m.
rotard wrote: I don't think an interior snob would fap over any of the cars mentioned in this thread. I never felt the lack of rich Corinthian leather caressing my ass-cheeks as a detriment to driving my Z06. I'm of the opinion that this kid should save most of his money.

I was thinking more for myself. I'm 31, and do have the cash to buy a C5 Z06 or S2000. I've been leaning towards the S2000 for things like build/interior quality and... I live on CA coast. I imagine a 'vert being more fun when just toodling around sedately. Wondering if the Vette is still as fun below manic speeds.

I am not pleased with the interior on my Astro. For an ugly, beater van, it's sufficiently functional. But for a nice DD/toy, I'd like something nicer.

Jaxmadine
Jaxmadine New Reader
4/23/13 6:49 p.m.

Tyres every 10k still on the honda? I say e30 m3, much cheaper and still fun. 280sx? 240 even? I can't believe I'm suggesting nissans...lol In forida u can get a good s2k for under 10k, might have just over 100k on the odo, but its a honduh:-P Ford falcon convertable? Lol Or even a mustang? Lots of diff years for mustangs. Your goin to nd up with an s2k sounds like.

dooodstevenn
dooodstevenn New Reader
4/23/13 7:22 p.m.
Jaxmadine wrote: Tyres every 10k still on the honda? I say e30 m3, much cheaper and still fun. 280sx? 240 even? I can't believe I'm suggesting nissans...lol In forida u can get a good s2k for under 10k, might have just over 100k on the odo, but its a honduh:-P Ford falcon convertable? Lol Or even a mustang? Lots of diff years for mustangs. Your goin to nd up with an s2k sounds like.

That's probably the number one contender at the moment, also looking into the speed3 since somehow it turns and handles well, and the e46 m3. Just going to wait til i have cash in hand, and go test drive them and see what I like best.

rotard
rotard Dork
4/23/13 8:05 p.m.
Beer Baron wrote:
rotard wrote: I don't think an interior snob would fap over any of the cars mentioned in this thread. I never felt the lack of rich Corinthian leather caressing my ass-cheeks as a detriment to driving my Z06. I'm of the opinion that this kid should save most of his money.
I was thinking more for myself. I'm 31, and do have the cash to buy a C5 Z06 or S2000. I've been leaning towards the S2000 for things like build/interior quality and... I live on CA coast. I imagine a 'vert being more fun when just toodling around sedately. Wondering if the Vette is still as fun below manic speeds. I am not pleased with the interior on my Astro. For an ugly, beater van, it's sufficiently functional. But for a nice DD/toy, I'd like something nicer.

The interior in my Z06 didn't suck, in my opinion. It wasn't as nice as the interior was in my RX8; I'd say that it was a small step below the interior in my MSM. I was worried about the seats after hearing repeatedly how much they suck, but they didn't bother me.

The Z06 will hands down make a better DD than an S2000. It'll probably get better gas mileage, be able to carry more stuff, and have lower insurance. Reliability between the two is a wash. The AP1 S2000 is downright anemic when not driving somewhat aggressively.

I often regret selling mine.

dooodstevenn
dooodstevenn New Reader
4/24/13 12:56 a.m.

So been thinking about it, and I'm going to go drive a MS3 and a 06+ s2000. I think I will end up with the s2000 though.

Love how it looks, love the drop top, revs like no other (wanted a bike before, and this seems like the cheapest bike on 4 wheels), I like to turn fast, and it's a honda, so reliability is pretty good. 2 seats is a pain, yes, but apart from my bike, and backpack, clothes (if im staying at someone's place because I'm too tired to drive home at 3 in the morning) I don't haul much. I am going to take a serious look at the MS3 though. Gotta love that turbo noise! If it handles just as well as the s2000 then i'll be screwed because I wont be able to make up my mind at that point.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
4/24/13 2:03 a.m.
rotard wrote: The interior in my Z06 didn't suck, in my opinion. It wasn't as nice as the interior was in my RX8; I'd say that it was a small step below the interior in my MSM. I was worried about the seats after hearing repeatedly how much they suck, but they didn't bother me. The Z06 will hands down make a better DD than an S2000. It'll probably get better gas mileage, be able to carry more stuff, and have lower insurance. Reliability between the two is a wash. The AP1 S2000 is downright anemic when not driving somewhat aggressively. I often regret selling mine.

I don't need to haul lots of stuff. I have a van when I need to move E36 M3. I just need space to grocery shop and carry my belongings when road tripping by myself. I live on HWY 1, 3 hours north of SF. Sharp handling gets me places faster than a big motor will (not that having both won't help). This week has driven home my love of a convertible in CA.

So... I made an offer on an S2000, and they've accepted. $15.5k for an '06 with 85k miles on it. Yellow. Well maintained. Only one or two owners. Going to arrange a PPI and pick it up Saturday if all goes well. ::Fingers Crossed::

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6d9crFdKTgcOfWZkNgkPNIQ7zvAHovgNJenp68ZjtvI6IcXyE1KrW2lYecx1Iyix