1 2 3
vazbmw
vazbmw HalfDork
10/13/13 3:43 p.m.

I have a big family. 4 kids and tall. Me: 6'4" Wife: 6' Kids various ranges of height but not an issue yet since they are still young.

I need a vehicle that seats 6 (Wife says no minivans or perv vans), vans are out.'

We have a suburban, but it is getting old and we need something newer.

The new (used) vehicle will not be used much except when the whole family needs to ride together, so fuel mileage is not so much of an issue.

We looked at a Hummer on Friday, and it was like a joke. Less space than the Suburban, but the exterior is the size of a house. The kids laugh at it and said it's like limo/military vehicle...so we walked way.LOL

Any ideas? I can't convince wife on vans, so no matter how much they make sense no dice. What other ideas/

-Vaz

hotchocolate
hotchocolate New Reader
10/13/13 4:00 p.m.

Mazda cx-9. Or P71. If it doesn't seat 6 I am sure you can make it.

Fletch1
Fletch1 HalfDork
10/13/13 4:05 p.m.

4th gen (2003-2009) 4runner with the 3rd row seat option. They also had a Sport model with the "Xreas" suspension for better handling. That's what popped in my head first.

vazbmw
vazbmw HalfDork
10/13/13 4:08 p.m.

I check out the CX-9 and it was a bit small for us.

P71 would be cool...but I have already ran that past her and the big Olds Estate Wagon with an LS1 -- no dice.

Good ideas though

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non Reader
10/13/13 4:12 p.m.

Ford Flex?

mazdeuce
mazdeuce SuperDork
10/13/13 4:17 p.m.

I have four kids too.
You're berkeleyed.
Sorry.

fanfoy
fanfoy HalfDork
10/13/13 4:34 p.m.
Sine_Qua_Non wrote: Ford Flex with Ecoboost

FTFY.

The Flex drives like a big car, and with the Ecoboost, it's surprisingly fast. At 6ft, 225lb, I wasn't unconfortable in the third row either.

Vigo
Vigo UberDork
10/13/13 4:59 p.m.

Ok, i dont want to moralize too much in a car thread, but if this vehicle is only really going to get used while kids are in it, what kind of fun are you planning on having? About the only kind of car fun id subject young children to would be trail riding and other off-road or closed-course activities.

In which case i would recommend a newer, 4wd suburban.

bastomatic
bastomatic SuperDork
10/13/13 5:08 p.m.

6 people? Fun?

AMG E63 wagon.

Tesla model S

Or for the budget conscious, Volvo wagon, rear jump seat, LS swap.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/13/13 5:16 p.m.

newer suburban. bam, done, simple answer

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
10/13/13 5:36 p.m.

Jeep Grand Wagoneer.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Dork
10/13/13 6:22 p.m.

Leaf, obviously.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/13/13 6:25 p.m.

I'd have to say flex. That is what my friend with 4 kids has. It's not bad at all in the 3rd row. Lot of room overall. I liked it. If it were my choice, that would be my ride.

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
10/13/13 6:31 p.m.

I love it when people say that they need a vehicle to seat more than 5 people, fun-ish, but no minivan. The Honda Odyssey seats 7 in comfort, will still haul stuff, can tow, and drives like a Honda...and that's a good thing.
My wife and I are looking to replace our town and country minivan soon. We looked at things like the Flex, CX-9, and such. The end result is, anything with an optional 3rd row seat is a HUGE compromise, in a few different ways. The Flex was the closest runner, but in the end we didn't gain space, seating, or economy.
Not knocking your wife's opinion, just kinda funny.

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
10/13/13 6:32 p.m.

Oh come on, why has no one said 3 miatas human centipede style yet?

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Dork
10/13/13 6:53 p.m.
DrBoost wrote: I love it when people say that they need a vehicle to seat more than 5 people, fun-ish, but no minivan. The Honda Odyssey seats 7 in comfort, will still haul stuff, can tow, and drives like a Honda...and that's a good thing.

And kicked the a$$ of a Porsche 356 correct?

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Dork
10/13/13 6:54 p.m.

Duh, Quigley conversion E350... Obviously.

Mr_Estrotica
Mr_Estrotica Reader
10/13/13 6:58 p.m.

4 Miatas.

ShadowSix
ShadowSix HalfDork
10/13/13 6:58 p.m.
ebonyandivory wrote: Duh, Quigley conversion E350... Obviously.

/thread

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/13/13 7:01 p.m.

Seats 7. Use roof rack for cargo.

NOHOME
NOHOME Dork
10/13/13 7:18 p.m.

May I suggest a restored London Double decker bus? Meets your wife's stated criteria.

If you can't have fun with that what can you have fun with? Plus you can bring friends along. And if maintained, it should be depreciation proof.

You did say FUN right?

dabird
dabird Reader
10/13/13 7:29 p.m.

I have 4 kids and didn't want a mini van. Ended up getting a Chevy Traverse. I'm happy

coldaudio
coldaudio New Reader
10/13/13 7:31 p.m.

E-350 with 4x4 conversion. My buddy's van we take out wheeling all the time:

MichaelYount
MichaelYount Reader
10/13/13 7:33 p.m.

You can have a vehicle that will manage you, your wife and 4 kids OR you can have a vehicle that's 'fun'. But you can't have one vehicle that will do both unless you're willing to drop big coin a la Cayenne S, BMW X5 "M", etc.

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
10/13/13 7:35 p.m.
ebonyandivory wrote:
DrBoost wrote: I love it when people say that they need a vehicle to seat more than 5 people, fun-ish, but no minivan. The Honda Odyssey seats 7 in comfort, will still haul stuff, can tow, and drives like a Honda...and that's a good thing.
And kicked the a$$ of a Porsche 356 correct?

and an e-type, and another iconic sports car. Can't remember the model right now.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RORrXY4SHcgGsD09mOEjFl5XWDQrnvCdGbVTuEK5uijSBuhJE1aDLUV5Fj3PbpmI