wannaberacer
wannaberacer New Reader
11/7/08 12:22 a.m.

had a quick thought, might be stupid, i dont know. don't want to research it (lazy bastard) so I'll ask GRM.

In cars with front wheel drive, how is the handling affected by the wheelbase? lets say, for example, a sedan vs a hatch both with similar suspensions (civics?) would one allow for easier rotation than the other? or are the affects negligible?

thanks y'all

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
11/7/08 6:41 a.m.

Longer wheelbase with equal suspension geometry will translate to larger turning radius.

Should mean shorter wheelbase means better rotation.

However, suspensions are not identical. For example, hatchbacks virtually always have larger swaybars.

Therefore, I would say the correct answer is negligible for the average driver. Engineers design street vehicles for tame driveability.

Note that there are differences other than wheelbase. For example, the center of gravity is higher on a hatchback (more glass and roof up higher). The average driver would probably note these differences first.

If you are a national champion, you would feel the difference in the wheelbase. Based on your question, I'm assuming you are not a national champion.

admc58
admc58 New Reader
11/7/08 9:05 a.m.

86 Civic si vs. 85 CRX si Both set up for National competition and driven by the same drivers. The CRX was always about 3/10ths quicker on an average 60 sec Auto X. This was pretty much a constant over the whole year. The 86 CRX si was just a little bit slower due to the higher weight and 14inch tires vs the 13s on the 85.

Length equals weight and wheel base reduces rotation speed. However the civic was better ballanced but slower.

.02 from someone who had one.

integraguy
integraguy Reader
11/7/08 10:47 a.m.

I don't know what the situation is now, but in your example of a sedan or hatch Civic, Honda put the sedan, hatch, and 2 door notch on the same wheelbase in the '90s.

I would think in the case of "similar" cars, where wheelbase was the only change, the longer car MIGHT have a slightly higher tendency to understeer (not turn in as easily). Just my seat-of-the-pants observation from driving similar cars on different wheelbases. Of course, longer cars as usually manufactured to be less sporty, so it may not just be the wheelbase that's different.

In other words...pretty much what the previous posters said.......

wannaberacer
wannaberacer New Reader
11/7/08 2:29 p.m.
SVreX wrote: If you are a national champion, you would feel the difference in the wheelbase. Based on your question, I'm assuming you are not a national champion.

My mom says I'm a national champion, but she also says I'm handsome so.....

Consider this question answered thanks guys.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/7/08 3:18 p.m.

One other note - a longer wheelbase will theoretically have more traction at launch due to lower weight transfer. Also, better braking for the same reason.

CivicSiRacer
CivicSiRacer Reader
11/8/08 11:39 a.m.

I know between my 88 CRX Si and my 91 Civic Si the CRX was easier to rotate and sometimes lose the back end.

The 91 Civic needed a rear sway bar to rotate efficiently :)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2KwOeROvhRwtDPQ8jtTBirFGWhC92mmM6HWS7l1IX7Qwzl92jd9dKsh77CVZ87Es