RussellH
RussellH New Reader
8/15/08 8:07 p.m.

My '92 Integra has almost 3/4 tank of gas in it and it's been sitting there for almost 5 months (hot garage 100F+). So what are my options?

• Is it OK to start up the car, buzz it around and burn it up?
  • Should I add "Stable" to it or too late now?
  • or Should I drain it and if so how?
dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/15/08 8:11 p.m.

I think there was an article in GRM a couple years back about this. In short gas stored out of the sun in a sealed container should be just fine. Now condensation in the tank is another issue. would just add a bunch of dry gas and use it up. Should not be any issues. 5 months as but a blink of an eye in terms of storage. hell my wife has had her mustang "parked" for longer than that several times just because she likes driving the Expedition.

sergio
sergio New Reader
8/15/08 8:40 p.m.

Fire it up and burn ithat stuff up. It shouldn't be a problem. If you are worried about it throw some techron in the tank and clean your injectors at the same time.

RussellH
RussellH New Reader
8/16/08 1:18 a.m.

I'm concerned about it getting all gummed up and varnish-like. I don't want that stuff going into the fuel pump and further out into the injectors etc.

jrw1621
jrw1621 Reader
8/16/08 5:56 a.m.

My Miata goes into the garage every winter for at least 5 months. I do nothing special to it. Come spring I hit it with the jumper cable pack and it fires right up. I have done the same thing for 14 years now.

You will be fine. Just turn the key.

924guy
924guy HalfDork
8/16/08 8:23 a.m.

throw some gas stabilizer in the tank...works better than techron for cleaning purposes, as well as being very good for its intended purpose. its also usually cheaper...

kcbhiw
kcbhiw Reader
8/17/08 12:13 a.m.

Our Lemons car sat for nearly two years with a full tank. We threw in a bottle of fuel stablizer and ran the event until the first fill up without any issues. 5 months shouldn't be anything to worry about.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
8/17/08 7:30 a.m.

Our Lemons car sat outside on Edisto Island for two years, it had maybe 1/8 tank in it. We put a battery in it, spun it for about 10 seconds and it fired right up. I wouldn't worry about 5 months.

RussellH
RussellH New Reader
8/17/08 5:49 p.m.

Cool, I did fire it up and it started right up...I just hope there's no long term issues from using old gas but sounds like you guys have gone way longer than 5 months.

internetautomart
internetautomart SuperDork
8/17/08 6:45 p.m.

how about 8 years?
that's how old the gas was in my old camaro when I got it, and yes I drove it around like that.

wreckerboy
wreckerboy SuperDork
8/18/08 7:11 a.m.

Five months is nothing. The condensation in the tank is a bigger issue, and that isn't a very large concern, either.

Consider that five month old gas as a purchase in the futures market. You paid something like 60% of what it is selling for now, right?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
46pIVOsm1zmcl5xseo9oqndHncUai1UDMm42yybFQ1FtGNYYPFI9M206PDqm68e6