1 2
mattmacklind
mattmacklind UltimaDork
11/19/14 2:16 p.m.

I have passively shopped for a new DD for over a year now, thought I had narrowed my choices, but I'm still considering candidates. Does anyone have any first hand experience with the 5.0 R spec Genesis? 429 HP is interesting, not to mention other features, and picking up a 2012 or 13 certified used Hyundai with an intact warranty sounds promising. Not a lot of online information other than a few reviews and very little to no after market support, not that you would need much. Anyway, thought I'd ask. Anyone have any experience with Hyundai servicing their warranty?

thewheelman
thewheelman New Reader
11/19/14 2:54 p.m.

Not much to offer, except that these have interested me for a while. The stereo is fairly impressive for something supplied by the OEM.

When I was looking, year-old versions could be had for high 20s, topping out at $30,000.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
11/19/14 3:19 p.m.

100K warranty does not transfer to a second owner as far as I know with those.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
11/19/14 3:26 p.m.

Warranty may transfer if it is CPO. Even without, you still get 5yr/60k miles for warranty for all owners. Warranty is pretty painless on bone stock cars typically. Nothing worse than any other manufacturer. Modify it, and they tend to go apeE36 M3 crazy.

Damn... these things got crazy cheap!

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/622020999/overview/ http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/602865567/overview/ http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/617512990/overview/

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
11/19/14 3:33 p.m.

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/618015095/overview/#1

unevolved
unevolved Dork
11/19/14 3:38 p.m.

Holy hell, that's not bad. $21k for a two year old luxury sedan with 430hp.

nepa03focus
nepa03focus HalfDork
11/19/14 4:56 p.m.

I never knew there was a Hyundai with 400hp......dang

M2Pilot
M2Pilot HalfDork
11/19/14 5:08 p.m.

I seem to recall a road test or comparison of this car in R&T or Automobile magazine a couple of years ago & they weren't very well impressed. Still maybe a good deal at $20-$22K.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/19/14 5:41 p.m.

Of course they weren't. Its not from Germany.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
11/19/14 6:02 p.m.
M2Pilot wrote: I seem to recall a road test or comparison of this car in R&T or Automobile magazine a couple of years ago & they weren't very well impressed. Still maybe a good deal at $20-$22K.

I wonder if they would be impressed if it had a Roundel on the hood....

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Reader
11/19/14 7:28 p.m.

Not that I need/want one, but I just added it to my theoretical test drive list for the day I eventually have time to kill.

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
11/19/14 8:13 p.m.

I can't speak to the merits of a Genesis but as far as the warranty goes...well I can't even really speak to that because in two years of ownership we've never had to use it.

4Msfam
4Msfam Reader
11/19/14 8:32 p.m.

We rented a base V6 model... even that one was a pretty effortless cruiser, with decent freeway manners. I actually thought about buying one at the time. Maybe not a corner carver, but a great way to eat the miles. Had enough road feel and no floaty feeling.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy UltraDork
11/19/14 9:15 p.m.

I've never driven one, but I'll just add that they catch my eye on the road, the only thing that I don't like about them styling wise is the grill.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
11/19/14 10:06 p.m.

I have driven a 3.8 Genesis sedan and a 5.0L Equus.

The Genesis sedan is a 'nice' car and i liked it well enough.

The 5.0 and trans it hooks to are VERY impressive to me.

IF it was me, though, i would just get an Equus. I've never looked at prices but i assume they're probably not that much higher than the top genesis just from lack of name recognition or lack of prestige in the segment it tries to play in. The genesis sedan is just a 'nicer normal' car, the Equus feels hedonistic and that makes it special. It's still fast with the 5.0. Just my .02.

calteg
calteg HalfDork
11/19/14 11:10 p.m.

I guess I'll chime in, since I've actually driven a few.

Shockingly luxurious interior, faster than you would expect in a straight line. The suspension is a Lotus tuned bit, but hucking it into turns still feels like dancing with a fat chick.

triumphcorvair
triumphcorvair Reader
11/20/14 6:59 a.m.

I've owned a 2013 Genesis Coupe and a 2015 Genesis sedan, however they were/are both 3.8. Both cars were/are great vehicles. The only reason I traded in the coupe was our 12 year old was getting too big for the back seat. I thought I would regret trading in the sportier coupe for the sedan but honestly I like the sedan much better and I honestly can't tell any difference in performance. Since it's my wife's car I don't do much "spirited" driving but I do like knowing that it's there if I need it. I could only imagine what a thrill the 5.0 would be. I will definitely buy another when I get to that point of needing to trade in/up.

singleslammer
singleslammer SuperDork
11/20/14 9:50 a.m.

I want one (Equus, to be honest) but the mileage on something this size is not good enough for me. I might grab one as a kid hauler in a year or two. I don't want to use the 496ci Suburban with a quarter million miles to take my kid to grandma's.

jstand
jstand Reader
11/20/14 12:29 p.m.

Regarding warranty service: this is based on my experience with my 2011 Elantra.

This is probably a dealer issue more that Hyundai, but it was the same at 2 different dealers.

The hardest part of getting warranty repairs has been getting the dealer to reproduce the problems even with step by step instructions. I have had to take videos to show them the issue before they investigated enough to reproduce the issue.

On the plus side, once an issue is identified they have been good about repairing it and not trying to use technicalities to get out of the repair.

Repair have been minor (like replacing the radio pcb or reflashing the ecu) and major (transmission replacement).

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
11/20/14 12:31 p.m.
jstand wrote: Regarding warranty service: this is based on my experience with my 2011 Elantra. This is probably a dealer issue more that Hyundai, but it was the same at 2 different dealers. The hardest part of getting warranty repairs has been getting the dealer to reproduce the problems even with step by step instructions. I have had to take videos to show them the issue before they investigated enough to reproduce the issue. On the plus side, once an issue is identified they have been good about repairing it and not trying to use technicalities to get out of the repair. Repair have been minor (like replacing the radio pcb or reflashing the ecu) and major (transmission replacement).

Honestly, that's not just a specific dealer issue, that's an industry wide issue. Warranty work pays dick. Techs are paid by the hour they turn, not the hours they actually work on a vehicle. Techs "ignore" or "NPF" something that they know will not pay them to work on it and correctly fix it in terms of some other shmuck getting stuck with the problem.

As long as shops pay straight flat-rate times and ignore CSI reports, this will never get better.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
11/20/14 12:43 p.m.
calteg wrote: I guess I'll chime in, since I've actually driven a few. Shockingly luxurious interior, faster than you would expect in a straight line. The suspension is a Lotus tuned bit, but hucking it into turns still feels like dancing with a fat chick.

I have three little ones.. Is the backseat big "enough" for three car seats.. approximately?

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
11/20/14 3:15 p.m.

Flat rate + reduced book time for warranty repairs means Bobzilla is probably right.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
11/20/14 3:23 p.m.
Vigo wrote: Flat rate + reduced book time for warranty repairs means Bobzilla is probably right.

After 13 years, 5 franchises of experience... Trust me. I'm right!

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
11/20/14 8:34 p.m.

I never worked in a dealership (all independents) but i got tired enough of flag that the idea of warranty work paying less hours for the same job already pisses me off without ever having personally dealt with it.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
11/20/14 9:23 p.m.

I dont think i've ever seen one of these on the road.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8LmgeKRSIjeL0kjBjECsxH2INFGx1h3BxMu54eUbcE1wtgahQo998IZApTRbnHAu