1 2
Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
6/6/14 10:59 a.m.

Specifically, where is optimal nozzle placement?

I've managed to grab an AEM kit off the List of Craig for $50 and figure with the unknown timing advance my chipped ECU is giving me, plus the goal of maxing out a 30psi boost gauge on a stock bottom end, some meth/water injection would be a nice thing.

ryanty22
ryanty22 Dork
6/6/14 11:20 a.m.

Meth is a hell of an additive

Will
Will SuperDork
6/6/14 11:24 a.m.

On my Supercoupe, I have two nozzles: one placed in the inlet directly before the supercharger, and another placed in the tubing between the intercooler and the intake manifold.

On my car, I found only a 6 hp gain at peak, but 40 hp and 40 lb-ft near redline as the blower generated more heat.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Dork
6/6/14 11:42 a.m.

May I ask why you are using two nozzles both before and after the compressor? I've only ever seen them installed in a single location before.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 Dork
6/6/14 11:46 a.m.

I personally prefer it in crystal or nitro flavor.

Both will get you broke and in a hell of a lot of trouble in short order. But it will be a hell of a lot of fun til the cops show up.

I know nothing about the question,I just couldnt resist the temptation.

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non Dork
6/6/14 11:46 a.m.

Better Call Saul for advice

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/6/14 11:49 a.m.
Sky_Render wrote: May I ask why you are using two nozzles both before and after the compressor? I've only ever seen them installed in a single location before.

Maybe to cool the supercharger? I'm generally not a fan of running things other than air through boost compressors though...

Ojala
Ojala GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/6/14 2:08 p.m.

I put the nozzles just before the intake manifold.

Good deal on the aem kit. Even if everything is in good shape it might be a good idea to replace the water lines. That and check valves are the only problems I have ever had.

car39
car39 HalfDork
6/6/14 2:35 p.m.

You need a mobile home to make it correctly

Will
Will SuperDork
6/6/14 2:47 p.m.
Sky_Render wrote: May I ask why you are using two nozzles both before and after the compressor? I've only ever seen them installed in a single location before.

From Snow Performance's FAQ page:

Pre- or Post- Supercharger/Turbocharger?

• Centrifugal/Turbo: (Procharger, Vortech, Paxton, Powerdyne, Rotrex, etc.) Never mount an injector nozzle before a centrifugal supercharger or turbocharger compressor. Sending fluid through the compressor wheel that spins anywhere from 50,000rpm to 250,000rpm can erode the leading edges of the fine aluminum. Studies performed by SAAB, concluded that pre-turbo injection will over time cause cavitation on the turbo wheel leading edges.

• Positive Displacement Supercharger: Roots style (B&M, Eaton, Magnuson, etc.) or twin screw (Lysholm, Kenne Bell, Whipple, etc.) Mounting the nozzle before this style of blower is perfectly safe and actually provides some additional benefits. The small amount of water-methanol fluid isn’t harmful to any rotor seals or surfaces or coatings, and it helps to seal the clearances and condense the air some more, resulting in a more efficient output. Additionally, it keeps the rotors and housing MUCH cooler, which reduces heat transfer to the rest of the intake and air charge.

So there's the reason for the pre-blower nozzle on my car. The post-intercooler nozzle is to reduce the ACTs as much as possible prior to entering the engine.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/6/14 3:04 p.m.

Some call him Johnny Blaze. Others call him The Ticalian Stallion.

chrispy
chrispy Reader
6/6/14 3:54 p.m.

mmmm, nitromethane. Nothing helpful to add other than I'm taking my son to Bristol next weekend.

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
6/6/14 5:18 p.m.

Meth-methodist

methadone

methanol

methane

take your pick.

ryanty22
ryanty22 HalfDork
6/6/14 5:21 p.m.
iceracer wrote: Meth-methodist methadone methanol methane take your pick.

You forgot methamphetamines

RossD
RossD PowerDork
6/6/14 5:32 p.m.

And you forgot the rhythm METHod.

DanielCut
DanielCut New Reader
6/6/14 5:35 p.m.

It makes your teeth fall out.

Lancer007
Lancer007 HalfDork
6/6/14 6:10 p.m.

I have known more people to run water injection then meth. Good power gains either way, other than that I have no other input.

JtspellS
JtspellS Dork
6/6/14 6:16 p.m.

bluej
bluej SuperDork
6/6/14 7:34 p.m.

(Sorry, I'm useless in this one)

Catatafish
Catatafish Reader
12/23/14 12:17 a.m.

Bump, any reason not to use water/meth on an otherwise stock subaru? Car is a legacy twin turbo b4 rsk

edizzle89
edizzle89 Reader
12/23/14 5:19 a.m.

i would think just after your boost source to get the most cooling effect, thats just my guess though

also you can make cheap meth/water injection kits with just a windshield sprayer motor, a pressure switch, check valve, and a nozzle. info here

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/23/14 8:50 a.m.

my cousin blew up my uncle's barn full of tools and antiques cooking meth.

bigmackloud
bigmackloud New Reader
12/23/14 10:35 a.m.

Not much to add that hasn't already been covered by Will. I ran a dual nozzle setup on my 2V Mustang. One was pre-blower (Centri) and one was just before the TB. All per the suggestion of AIS that Will referenced.

I also made my own mix. You can buy Boost Juice from Snow Performance, which I believe is a 50/50 mix. Per recommendation from AIS though, I bought pure meth in a 5 gal pale and mixed it with distilled water in a 80/20 ratio, Meth to H20. AIS claimed their testing showed this mixture cooled the exhaust valves better than just pure meth.

Remember, the methanol is also a fuel source. Typically when tuning for meth you could lean out your A/F ratio a bit because the methanol supplements the gasoline as a fuel, and brings the A/F back down.

You can also buy a fluid level sensor to install in the tank so that you know when you're getting low. I had mixed results with mine. The fluid sloshed so much it would make the light I had wired to the sensor flicker.

I also ran an LED light that came on when the controller sent power to the meth pump. That was the closest way I knew that it was spraying. I installed the single green LED in my gauge cluster beside the tach. So if I was hard on it, and the green light didn't come on, I knew to back out of it. Easier than trying to watch an air intake temp gauge on the a-pillar, etc.

danvan
danvan GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/23/14 10:51 a.m.

Mount your meth tank low and check your check valves a friend with a high mounted tank had a check valve fail meth drained into intake manifold = hydrauliced engine bent rods bad stuff.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla HalfDork
12/23/14 1:54 p.m.

I'm just doing a powerdyne addition to my M52'd E30,no space for intercooling and would like to add meth/water injection as well.For simplicity a single nozzle pre throttle body,am I OCD'ing worrying about the liquid not making the turn well enough in the manifold and finding its way to either end of the engine to do its thing?.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
orOi6M3aHbAclYh5FLL5MEAFFxgUOg4Ka5qnBvZD0rkvLc6LP2qZJUfd2EzgVIjE